• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Building a $50K Track Tool to beat $500K Track Tools

I'm envious ...

Can't wait to see pics when it's done ! Welcome to the 3.5 club !
Thanks, feels like I'm fixing something that isn't broken but I know what a huge game changer a built 3.5L is. Picture a NSX 2.0, subtract over 1000 lbs. no electric motors, no AWD, no nannies. Just a Giken LSD and PG1 clutch between my right foot and 550 RWHP. Thats what I'm talking about. :cool:

Short Answer:
Most importantly is wheel off set. Forgeline GA1R Forged Matte Gunmetal 17x9+49 / 18x11+59

Honda went to great lengths to get the steering geometry right and keeping the offsets close to OEM, as you have done, is a big plus.

Very nice car!

Sorry, but when I see this thread I keep thinking somewhere on a Miata forum is a thread titled "Building a $15k Track Tool to Beat $50k Track Tools!"

Very nice car!

Sorry, but when I see this thread I keep thinking somewhere on a Miata forum is a thread titled "Building a $15k Track Tool to Beat $50k Track Tools!"
and on the Datsun 510 forum: "Borrowing some gas money & duct tape to beat my sisters Miata".

This thread might need to be updated as "Building a $150K Track Tool to beat $500K Track Tools" :biggrin:

I hope you keep this thread updated with build pics!

Latest Updates

This thread might need to be updated as "Building a $150K Track Tool to beat $500K Track Tools" :biggrin:

I hope you keep this thread updated with build pics!
LOL, after this round of upgrades and the dust settles, I'll be all in at approx. $100K, including initial purchase.
A relative bargain for a well sorted 2800 lb. 500 RWHP track tool. What other car could come close at that price point?

3.5L Comptech Works Racing Engine
Comptech Billet Racing Crankshaft
Carrillo Titanium Connecting Rods
Mahle Forged Racing Pistons
Comptech Racing Heads
Comptech Racing Cams
Comptech 2.3L Supercharger (10Lbs boost)
Driving Ambition Air to Water Inter/Aftercooler

Here's the latest from today. Yes, its happening.

Downforce Composite Front Fenders
Eibach 1K Progressive Springs

Last edited:

I have that same label maker only mine says 3.2L STOCK ENGINE.

Seriously it may be time to start thinking about a cage, its not like you were not fast enough but now with another 100whp and 100ftq you are going to be much quicker on the straights. I can not wait to see you drive around the C7 Z06s. This should be a fun year on track.

Dave

Amazing...don't most off the shelf standard blowers become kinda parasitic drag after about 15 minutes on track ? I know You and Regan and others have modified things to keep temps down..but the average hpde nsx owner with the supercharger will not be getting what they think HP wise on a hot day twords the end of each session.

I have that same label maker only mine says 3.2L STOCK ENGINE.

Seriously it may be time to start thinking about a cage, its not like you were not fast enough but now with another 100whp and 100ftq you are going to be much quicker on the straights. I can not wait to see you drive around the C7 Z06s. This should be a fun year on track.

Dave
LOL, I am not the only 3.5 works motor on the bench at Driving Ambition. Thats Shad's bookkeeping to keep all his inventory organized. Rest assured, a rollcage is definitely on top of my to-do list after this build-up.

- - - Updated - - -

Amazing...don't most off the shelf standard blowers become kinda parasitic drag after about 15 minutes on track ? I know You and Regan and others have modified things to keep temps down..but the average hpde nsx owner with the supercharger will not be getting what they think HP wise on a hot day twords the end of each session.
Heat soak is always a factor for all boosted cars. A quality inter/aftercooler is absolutely vital to this build, which we now have. Also, I don't track my car in the heat of summer. Neither my car, nor its driver perform optimally in the heat. Thats one of the many reasons I live in NorCal.

at what temps will you not go out?

I'm also as curious as Doc john on this... since no one has sucessfully cooled a roots type blower for track usage in in the NSX.

Either way I applaud your build and this is one of my favorite threads. Hope it all works as you want it to.

Last edited:
at what temps will you not go out?
I like to track in the Spring & fall when temps are mild. Mid to high 80's = 90+ in cockpit and my brain starts to heat soak and I stop having fun, which is what this is all about. Living in 'Fog City' will spoil you in so many ways.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm also as curious as Doc john on this...

FWIW. I think you would be faster with just the 3.5L and a 300lbs weight savings than doing the 3.5L with CTSC, it's a complete mystery as to really how much power it makes once it's hot... some will say there's no cure on the track. Not even the oem C7's hold that power on the track. They are estimated to lose 10-20% of their power once hot no matter how much effort the factory puts into Cooling them. And their not battling the increased difficulties of managing the heat of a mid engine car.

Based on your previous dyno of 415 rwhp and 2800lbs 5.9 PW. You should be already be out accelerating the GT3 RS that is a 6.3PW...
If you where noticably slower than the GT3 RS than that means your current 412rwhp CTSC might possibly only be putting out 350whp or less once heated up...

That 3.5L NA can put down a constant 375whp at all times. At 2500lbs you would have a solid predictable 5.75 PW and have a 600lbs advantage over the GT3RS. There's a reason all 911 race cars are still NA.

FWIW you may even end up having less than 375rwhp on the track with that 3.5L CTSC do to uncontrollable hot temps. Even though i have no doubt it will dyno 500whp... Since no one has ever effectively proven to sufficently cool the CTSC.

3.5L NA light weight or turbo is the way to go. INMO. Not only going back to NA with a custom intake or ITBS would take 100lbs of the uppermost rear of the car. Improving weight balance and pendelum effect in handeling.

Either way I applaud your build and this is one of my favorite threads. Hope it all works as you want it to.
I don't disagree with what you are saying but...

I live in California and a turbo will not pass emissions here. Neither will a properly tuned N/A 3.5.

We are confident we have the formula to build an Aftercooled Comptech 3.5 CTSC that will pass emissions and achieve the desired affect of slaying everything with a lic. plate on the track and surprise quite a few race cars.

I edited my post. As I did not want it to be misinterpreted by anyone as being negative towards your approach in anyway And can understand your reasoning for the passing emissions and i was not aware the SC will help.

I just think you be more sucessful in replicating the 911 CUP race car approach. At 2500lbs-2700lbs and NA 450hp crank / 380whp and power to weight around 6 they already do allot of damage and are a hand full to handle and completly destroy the 911 GT3 RS your trying to catch. Once you go under a PW of 6 allot power goes to waste. I think faster times will be easier achived through faster corner speeds and shorter braking distance through lower weight, balance and setup.

Either way, good luck and excited to see some new track vids!

Last edited:
I like to track in the Spring & fall when temps are mild. Mid to high 80's = 90+ in cockpit and my brain starts to heat soak and I stop having fun, which is what this is all about. Living in 'Fog City' will spoil you in so many ways.

- - - Updated - - -
We are confident we have the formula to build an Aftercooled Comptech 3.5 CTSC that will pass emissions and achieve the desired affect of slaying everything with a lic. plate on the track and surprise quite a few race cars.

I have an idea that may help with the cooler design, I know Shad has a solution but I think I have an idea that may improve on his existing design, send me your email via a PM and I will share my ideas. Oh and are you still on the stock ECU?

Dave

Updates

Installed - 1000/700 lb. Eibach Progressive springs

Installed - Downforce Composite Front Fenders (+8mm) w/side marker delete

Installed - 26mm Track Bars

Car feels properly stiff but not bone jarring. Happy to report no tire contact on the new fenders with 235/40/17 NT01's on 17x9" wheels. Looks like there's ample room for my 245/40/17 & 315/30/18 BFG R1S. Car is prepped and ready for a big HP injection!:cool:

Last edited:
1000 lb Eibach Progressive Springs (front)

700 lb Eibach Progressive Springs (rear)
Everything looks great Rob. How far did you have to twist Shad's arm for the after cooler? I want one too. I am excited to see this on the track. Great luck to you this season.

Everything looks great Rob. How far did you have to twist Shad's arm for the after cooler? I want one too. I am excited to see this on the track. Great luck to you this season.
Thanks AJ, squeaky NSX gets the grease. I've been in queue for an after cooler for years. Turns out the timing is perfect with the Comptech 3.5L upgrade. This should eliminate the last shortcoming of my car compared to the competition - Torque. Thats the one thing my car lacks compared with GT3RS's, Z07's, 458's, GTR's etc. 500whp/400wtq. should eliminate that issue. Going to be fun.

Loving your build! How did you get a hold of the Comptech Cams? I got really lucky in finding mine with the help of Chris @SoS. This thing is going to be crazy. Any plans on a larger blower, or will you stick with the 2.3?

Forgot to ask. What are your plans with the heat exchanger? Something like this would be pretty cool, but expensive.

Picture 005.jpg

Picture 0033.jpg

Ls 15231-1.jpg

Last edited:
Loving your build! How did you get a hold of the Comptech Cams?
Thanks, This is a complete Comptech 3.5L race engine. It has been sitting in shrink rap in the back of Shad/Driving Ambition's shop for years. We are now in the process of pulling the heads and giving it a once over in preperation for installation. This may be the very last unused Comptech 3.5L works motor.

What are your plans with the heat exchanger?
I have been in queue for Shad's/Driving Ambition Air to Water Inter/Aftercooler set-up. It is a proven system that has been dyno & track tested to not just save HP but actually make HP. He has 10 in production and the first one is mine.

Thanks, This is a complete Comptech 3.5L race engine. It has been sitting in shrink rap in the back of Shad/Driving Ambition's shop for years. We are now in the process of pulling the heads and giving it a once over in preperation for installation. This may be the very last unused Comptech 3.5L works motor.

I have been in queue for Shad's/Driving Ambition Air to Water Inter/Aftercooler set-up. It is a proven system that has been dyno & track tested to not just save HP but actually make HP. He has 10 in production and the first one is mine.

Obligatory, you suck! All I can really say is wow. That is awesome! I hate you right now, but only because I am jealous! lol Congrats!

Back