• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Building a $50K Track Tool to beat $500K Track Tools

This thing is going to be crazy. Any plans on a larger blower, or will you stick with the 2.3?
2.3L twin screw CTSC is ample for my application. Thats a larger blower than the Z07 has on its 7L.

- - - Updated - - -

Obligatory, you suck! All I can really say is wow. That is awesome! I hate you right now, but only because I am jealous! lol Congrats!
Thanks man, I get that a lot.:cool:

Thanks, This is a complete Comptech 3.5L race engine. It has been sitting in shrink rap in the back of Shad/Driving Ambition's shop for years. We are now in the process of pulling the heads and giving it a once over in preperation for installation. This may be the very last unused Comptech 3.5L works motor.
So jealous of this alone even without the blower setup on top

So jealous of this alone even without the blower setup on top
I would have preferred to build a high compression N/A 3.5L but thats just not an option here in California. Plus the net result would not have been much gain from what I am running currently. Same problem for turbos - EPA. What that leaves me is my least desirable option, supercharging, but at least I have most of the 'accessories' for this build instock including the latest twin screw 2.3L CTSC and a D/A Air to water after cooler, so at least we have the formula and the parts necessary to build a reliable 500+whp/400+wtq Comptech 3.5L track motor. Shad has built hundreds of these so I'm excited to see the results from this massive upgrade. Hopefully this will help keep the car competitive against all these new hyper cars that keep popping up at the track.

....but at least I have most of the 'accessories' for this build instock including the latest twin screw 2.3L CTSC and a D/A Air to water after cooler, so at least we have the formula and the parts necessary to build a reliable 500+whp/400+wtq Comptech 3.5L track motor.

You are in good hands with Shad, I think he upped the size of his front heat exchanger from the one I have from him, and you guys may have to get creative with managing the air at the front of the car, but I am sure Shad has the right recipe to deal with the added heat. I am looking forward to your kill videos on track.

Dave

You are in good hands with Shad, I think he upped the size of his front heat exchanger from the one I have from him, and you guys may have to get creative with managing the air at the front of the car, but I am sure Shad has the right recipe to deal with the added heat. I am looking forward to your kill videos on track.

Dave
In Shad we trust.:biggrin:

Dave
Dave, will you ever be releasing your bolt on after cooler for the ctsc?
I have been waiting for a vendor to drop these onto prime for buying.

Call Shad AJ, he's got 10 in production and most if not all are spoken for.

Call Shad, I do not make any intercoolers for the CTSC.

Dave

Driving Ambition air to water inter/after cooler yummy goodness.

Looks awesome! I spoke to Shad, he can get me one but I do not think I can justify the cost right now. I may have to wait for another run.

^ Jinks, jump on it when you can. Otherwise get prepared for years of heat soak :)

Rob, this thing is looking great :)

Looks awesome! I spoke to Shad, he can get me one but I do not think I can justify the cost right now. I may have to wait for another run.

Jinks, what was the cost? You might want to consider meth/water injection as a solution. Eventually that is what I will move to. You can check Ryu's build thread on here and see how his set up is.

If you don't track your car then this upgrade is really not necessary or cost effective. Plenty of other more cost effective options like water/meth injection. Granted, you will not acheive the results that this solution will. There's no miracle cure for heat-soak, but this is the most refined and battle tested solution for a CTSC NSX and does not come cheaply.

- - - Updated - - -

Rob, this thing is looking great :)
Getting really excited Roman!

If you don't track your car then this upgrade is really not necessary or cost effective. Plenty of other more cost effective options like water/meth injection. Granted, you will not acheive the results that this solution will. There's no miracle cure for heat-soak, but this is the most refined and battle tested solution for a CTSC NSX and does not come cheaply.

- - - Updated - - -

Getting really excited Roman!

I know some folks use meth on a supercharger.
I don't think the supercharger can withstand methanol. My blower manufacture clearly states that it will destroy the blower and void any warranty.

Maybe someone has a solution where it is introduced after the blower and there is shutdown mode that purges any methanol from the intake so that it doesn't get into the blower?

On top of the cost for the inter cooler you will also need to have it tuned appropriately.

I do not want to spray the motor. If the aftercooler costs, it costs. Rather do it right the first time. My only reason for aftercooling is to eventually reach 400+ hp the safe and affective way with less boost at 8psi pulley. Plus some tracking will hopefully be done this year. Im always freaking working on weekends.

I do not want to spray the motor. If the aftercooler costs, it costs. Rather do it right the first time. My only reason for aftercooling is to eventually reach 400+ hp the safe and affective way with less boost at 8psi pulley. Plus some tracking will hopefully be done this year. Im always freaking working on weekends.
I don't want to muck up this thread because every cooling option has it's pros/cons... but I'll argue if spraying isn't the right way.. why is BMW doing it?

[h=1]BMW lets loose water-injected M4 GTS[/h]http://www.gizmag.com/bmw-m4-gts/39736/

I don't want to muck up this thread because every cooling option has it's pros/cons... but I'll argue if spraying isn't the right way.. why is BMW doing it?

BMW lets loose water-injected M4 GTS

http://www.gizmag.com/bmw-m4-gts/39736/
I will keep it short as this is Rob's thread.
Reasons why I do not want to spray are as follows.
1)Simplicty.
2)An analog system which has very low maintenance or gizmo's.
I love simplicity. I love low maintenance. For an after cooler all one needs do is check the coolant reservoir every once in a while. But that's pretty much it. There is no buying or filling meth, no gizmo's to say when your low, when to spray, when to back off. Just turn the key and drive hard. The reasons why I own an Nsx is the lack of digital nonsense. Give me sweeping analog gauges and a key to start the engine. Just how I like things. All the computer monitoring stuff can only really be seen on the Dyno anyways, not while driving hard. But to each his own. Not knocking meth, but I'd prefer a simpler yet in this case a more costly solution. Besides, look at it. It's a beautiful part.

Well said AJ and thank you for not turning this build thread into a 'squirting' match. I've had this discussion with Shad and he is not an advocate of water or meth injection. I'd elaborate further but I'm afraid that would just provoke more debate which I would like to avoid on my build thread. Thanks all for respecting that. Feel free to PM me if you would like more elaboration. Otherwise, I'm sure theirs a meth injection debate thread somewhere her on Prime. Have at it.

On topic: UPS tracking says I've got more incoming toys due in this Thursday!:biggrin:

Well said AJ and thank you for not turning this build thread into a 'squirting' match. I've had this discussion with Shad and he is not an advocate of water or meth injection. I'd elaborate further but I'm afraid that would just provoke more debate which I would like to avoid on my build thread. Thanks all for respecting that. Feel free to PM me if you would like more elaboration. Otherwise, I'm sure theirs a meth injection debate thread somewhere her on Prime. Have at it.

On topic: UPS tracking says I've got more incoming toys due in this Thursday!:biggrin:
Thanks Rob,
I wanted to respond to Ryu's question in a uniform matter because I respect his status in the Nsx community. Ryu is always on the cutting edge. I am just merely a more simple kind of man is all. Both of you are assets to our dying analog breed of vehicles. Much respect. Good luck at the track in 2016! Please let me know when you will have your car out on the new engine so I can compare mine to it.:biggrin:

Thanks for the kind words. Not my intent to get into pissing match. That's what Facebook is for lol. I just react to wholesale statements of condemnation which are untrue. I catch myself making them too. Just like the eternal turbo vs supercharger debate... There are pros and cons to every solution.

Pride Lightweight Exhaust

More incoming pieces trickling in for the CT 3.5L build up.

A big shout out to Mark at Pride for stepping up to the plate with this beautiful piece of kit. The workmanship and welds are beautiful. I even opted for the 'thick tips' and its still 6+lbs. lighter than the ARK and 10+lbs. lighter than my Comptech exhaust. Sounds deep and throaty with my blown 3.0L, can't wait to hear the Comptech 3.5L wail through this.

Out with the old ARK

Pride Lightweight Exhaust with thick tips

Last edited:
Wow I see the muffler matches perfectly to the diffuser center section. I am a lil puzzled though why you went with this exhaust for such a wild motor build? Othen then light weight. :) Is that thing gonna flow enough?
I went with the apx fi spec exhaust. Less turns, less restriction.

Wow I see the muffler matches perfectly to the diffuser center section. I am a lil puzzled though why you went with this exhaust for such a wild motor build? Othen then light weight. :) Is that thing gonna flow enough?

I'll probably be further up on your poopoo list after this but one of the reasons why the Angus exhaust sounds smooth with a pleasing tone is because of the restrictive merge where the V band is. Its two 2.25" pipes into one join of the same size diameter then back out into two pipes. The only time an X pipe creates power (thru scavenging) is if it's a true equal length header design. It's virtually impossible to do that in an NSX.

For the record, I've posted here on prime several times I love the sound of the Angus, but it is restrictive but not as restrictive as the stock exhaust of course.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw... As far as flow restriction is concerned the Taitec GTLW replica (Pride Lightweight exhaust) has the same restriction as the Angus. The GTLW has an internal perforated X pipe inside the canister.

I'd rather have an exhaust that sounds good with some restriction than a free flowing one that sounds horrible. Both exhaust sound great.

Because Mark made me an offer I couldn't refuse.:wink:
Its likely more restrictive than my ARK but I've been getting meatballed for sound lately with the ARK. I picked up a used Comptech exhaust but it sounds like a Prius. Hopefully the Pride LW strikes a balance. We'll test all three during the tuning process. Its very light and beautifully made.

You were never even on my shit list. No one is here. They are all my nsx brethren.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes Mark is an awesome guy to deal with.

Back