• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Buying car from interstate, what's the process?

Hi,

I have a few questions I hope you can help me with. I am buying a car from Melbourne and located in WA. I made an offer on a car and the owner has accepted.

The car has it's service history at Brighton Honda. I rang them up they wouldn't give me any info, due to privacy, fair enough.
When I inquired about a pre-purchase inspection, he told me the cost would be $300 but couldn't give me info into how thorough the check would be.. which doesn't give me much confidence.

1) Can anyone recommend in Melbourne, where to have the car inspected for a good pre-purchase inspection?
2) Can anyone recommend a shipping company?
3) How do I handle payment and signing papers if it is not done in person?

Thank you for any information / advice :)

I have a general idea of how it works buying interstate:
1. Get it inspected and get REVS check.
2. Buy it and get a receipt from the seller.
3. Arrange shipping of car.
4. Get it truck/trained, so when you pick it up you will need a temporary movement permit.
5. Drive to the pits and get it inspected.
6. Register Car

update: Getting inspection done through stateroad. About the same price as what Honda wanted, but they listed a comprehensive list of things they would be checking for.

Got recommended CEVA for car transport, and their quote seems pretty competitive :)

So I guess my only real question now is.. How do I handle the transaction. I do have a friend who lives in Melbourne, who said she is willing to help out if I need her to do anything for me.

I was about to recommend CEVA also as i just purchased s2000 from WA and have organised its delivery to Melbourne.
Best way to handle the transaction would be to come to Melbourne and pay the buyer directly then organise to drop the car of at CEVA's and depot then fly back home.
This is what i did and it all went well.
P.s what car are you buying anyway?

Back