• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Buying NSX: automatic or manual?

I think this all boils back down to taking a few hours of instruction and seeing if you like it. If you dont try it, you can't make an informed decision.

Try them both and see. Dont pay too much attention to what other people say. If you find that you like the initial experience, then you will probably crave more. If you find a manual too much to handle, then go with the sportshift.

Pick the one that gives you the most fun. Buying a car is a substantial decision. Picking the wrong one means you will probably end up hating it and selling it on 6 months.

(another 2c)

Originally posted by justin hall:
jezus dude, you need to relax. take a chill pill. I am OH SO FREAKING SORRY that I made the mistake of left vs. right (or 3 vs. 9) about your little shifter. as I said, I drove the sportshift model on 3 different occasions.

My... aren't we touchy... can't you tell when someone is ribbing you?
tongue.gif

By the way, what is so "little" about my shifter?
smile.gif

------------------
jag
95T SportShift

[This message has been edited by jag (edited 05 June 2001).]

There is a major power difference, based primarily on the difference in gearing, and in my case engine size.

Look at the other thread and you'll see that 95S to 95M isn't that much diff. Yes to a 6 speed 3.2L there is a bigger diff that would you would notice.

I didn't find the 3.0 sportshift to be much faster than a prelude.
Sure look at the numbers and they don't indicate that at all.

About learning the lines, I would agree at a general level, but I also reflect back to the first time I was at Thunderhill in the NSX. The first 3 laps I did all in third gear, not one shift, so I could learn the lines. You dont have to have the sportshift to do that.

Agreed however it sounds like you learned a line where I find I'm able to setup for multiple lines. This is exactly what I was doing with the F-boys. Maybe it's natural for me because I use to race moto-x and that's what it was all about.

Also, I dont agree with the statment that the sportshift is like the paddle shifters on F1 cars.
I'm talking about Ferraris not F1 racing.

In F1, the paddles are on either side, and in the NSX they are on the left and work in an up and down manner instead of front / back as in F1. The up / down only on one side makes shifting awkward (my opinion) in twisties because you always have to have a hand in the 9:00 position.

I don't find this an issue as I'm usually not trying to shift after entering a turn. Also the hand movement is so slight versus having to actual reach on a stick. That's the diff I was really refering to.

Now, with all that said, I agree that you dont HAVE to have a manual to have fun, I just think it is more fun.
I agree and actually I've said this in my prior post in the other thread. If I didn't have a bad hip I'd own a manual. However I do think people are under estimating the performance of the SportShift.

And by the way I think it's great we all own such great cars and can have threads like this without getting too bent out of shape.
------------------
Hal Jones
Lake Oswego, Oregon
95T Blk\Blk SportShift

[This message has been edited by hejo (edited 06 June 2001).]

Oh BTW I forgot to mention... I agree the NSX clutch is like silk. It's much, much easier than most other manuals. If you buy a used car make sure it's in good shape. One the manual guys can tell you how to really check it out and maybe a local owner can actually do the test for you.

------------------
Hal Jones
Lake Oswego, Oregon
95T Blk\Blk SportShift

hahaha
this has been fun

consider this ~~~~ whatever you end up getting (auto vs stick), you are ending up with an NSX, that alone should bring a smile to your face in the morning when you get out of the house and get into your car

Is it just me or did that Road and Track article spark a lot of people into buying a used NSX? There seem to be a lot of posts (or new users) on this forum about buying a used NSX this past month than normal.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Those who normally drive the manual find it more fun than the SportShift.

I would "guess" that most of those who find it "more fun than the SportShift" have never driven a "SportShift" and those that have probably have very little time with one. If you were to drive a stick for the first time, would you be as competent or comfortable as you would after say 100 or 200 hours? The more time/experience you have with a car... whether it's a stick, an auto or a "SportShift" the more you understand how to maximize the preformance of that vehicle. That's when it becomes "fun".

But no one seems to be saying that the SportShift is MORE fun than the manual... which should tell you something, if you're willing to learn how to drive a stick.

I don't understand this one, just because "no one seems to be saying that the SportShift is MORE fun than the manual..." what should that tell me? If it told me anything, it would be that that both cars are options and some people prefer the stick while others prefer the SportShift? You make it sound like just because the SportShift isn't "MORE" fun that one should only consider the "stick" and learn to drive it.

In my opinion... (and that's just what it is... my opinion)... the more time you put behind a "SportShift" the more you will like it (maybe even love it)... the less time you have behind a "SportShift" the more you will continue to "misjudge" it's strengths and weakness.

FWIW...JMO

------------------
jag
95T SportShift

[This message has been edited by jag (edited 07 June 2001).]

Originally posted by nicholas421:
boy you really love them quotation marks dont you.

"Yep"... "it's" "how" "I" "underscore" "my" "real" "message".

"If you can't laugh at yourself... your missing the best laugh around."

------------------
jag
95T SportShift

[This message has been edited by jag (edited 07 June 2001).]

Just a quick response to jag's post...

First, I'd like to point out that jag is replying to four comments, shown in bold in his post. The first two are statements that I made in my post above. The other two are questions that drliu asked when he opened this topic, and those two should not be considered as my comments just because I quoted drliu's questions when I responded to them.

With regard to my first two comments and jag's responses... the first statement is simply noting that we tend to prefer that which we are most accustomed to. People with manuals like the manual, people with automatics like the automatic. Simple.

Regarding the second comment, it was not intended to criticize the automatic (although I see how it could be misinterpreted that way). The automatic does have its advantages - less physical effort (particularly in stop-and-go driving), can be driven by many folks who rarely (or never) drive a manual transmission car, etc. However, I will again make my statement: No one here has yet claimed that driving the automatic is MORE FUN than driving the manual. This is not to criticize the automatic, but only to note that its advantages lie elsewhere.

The first two are statements that I made in my post above. The other two are questions that drliu asked when he opened this topic, and those two should not be considered as my comments just because I quoted drliu's questions when I responded to them.

Nsxtasy,
I somehow lost site of the fact the you were "quoting" drliu in the last two questions...

My apologies... I did not mean to misquote you.
I have removed my comments accordingly.

Thanks,

------------------
jag
95T SportShift

...No one here has yet claimed that driving the automatic is MORE FUN than driving the manual. This is not to criticize the automatic, but only to note that its advantages lie elsewhere.

I agree, and in fact to quote one of the strongest automatic advcates:

Now, with all that said, I agree that you dont HAVE to have a manual to have fun, I just think it is more fun.

Originally posted by hejo:
I agree and actually I've said this in my prior post in the other thread. If I didn't have a bad hip I'd own a manual. However I do think people are under estimating the performance of the SportShift.

I will again restate, in no way were any of my comments intended to degrade our auto friends, but intended to answer the question of a prospective owner.

[This message has been edited by justin hall (edited 07 June 2001).]

we tend to prefer that which we are most accustomed to. People with manuals like the manual, people with automatics like the automatic. Simple.

So true. I use to only like nordic blonds but now that I've expereienced italian brunets and wild irish redheads it's amazing to me to realize how much I was missing... oops wrong forum
biggrin.gif

However, I will again make my statement: No one here has yet claimed that driving the automatic is MORE FUN than driving the manual.
Actually for me the automatic is more fun.
1. I don't experience pain in my hip.
2. I have more time to focus on lines and push other drivers in the turns.
3. I get to mess with guys who like playing with there stick!
biggrin.gif

Hey this is such great fun! I'm getting a real kick out of it. Don't take this seriously nsxtasy. I'm just enjoying the dialog like we were sitting next to each at the track giving each other crap after having a great day driving one of the finest sports cars made!

So let me just say for me a manual is no less fun than driving the SportShift and the SportShift is no more fun than driving a manual. Hmm what in the heck does that mean?

------------------
Hal Jones
Lake Oswego, Oregon
95T Blk\Blk SportShift

[This message has been edited by hejo (edited 07 June 2001).]

that is funny. can you tell about the other forum? I might be interested....
wink.gif

I don't know Justin.... are you ready to stop playing with your stick
biggrin.gif

Hey this is such great fun! I'm getting a real kick out of it. Don't take this seriously nsxtasy. I'm just enjoying the dialog like we were sitting next to each at the track giving each other crap after having a great day driving one of the finest sports cars made!

Oh, absolutely! I've been thinking the exact same thing... particularly today, when the radio station played the Beach Boys singing "Fun Fun Fun" while I was on my way to have lunch with a local NSX'er so that I could check out his car for an out-of-town buyer, and also after last night's NSX Club meeting, when a bunch of us stayed at a local restaurant till their closing time, just hanging out and having a good time... Good times.
biggrin.gif

Back