• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Buzzing problem

Ok im having a problem. I have done many installs my self and the only other time I have had the alternator buzzing sound was in my POS VW BUG :tongue: I installed a new Rockford amp in my friends NSX and when I turned the car on I get one hell of a buzzing sound when the car is running and I even get it when its not running. The amp is mounted on the right side of the trunk agents the back firewall. He told me that before his old amp when out a year or two ago it was buzzing then to. I’m not using any of the old wiring and the amp isn’t even in the same spot on the car. Could the stock stereo be the problem? Tomorrow when I get to work im going to run a + and - jumper from the battery this may or may not fixit. O yeah I'm drawing the standby power from the power antenna. If you have other idea's let me know.

Bill

Hi Bill
Not sure what you mean by "drawing the standby power from the power antenna" - standby power for what? Did you mean remote turn-on power?
You didn't mention whether this is stock head or after-market head but either way might be same problem?
Does buzzing persist if you disconnect the RCA inputs form the amp?
How did you create the adapter for the output signals from the head to the amp? (after-market would use RCA's probably but the OEM you would have to make an adapter I presume) - can you clarify what scheme is used at the head unit end?
The NSX wiring harness to the head has an inadequate ground & will create a ground loop if you use the ground wire from the harness - be sure to connect the chassis ground wire from the head to a solid ground point in the console area - there is a good location on the bracket that the ash-tray mounts to. Major source of buzz from that ground loop.
Run the main amp power from the battery or alternatively the terminal at the main fuse panel in the engine compartment; use a good gauge wire for the amp ground wire with a good solid ground post onto a chassis point where the paint has been abraded & also secured with a star serrated washer. The ground wire should be relatively short (<18")
Try that & see how it goes - meanwhile if you can fill in the blanks re questions above it might also shed some light on problem.

My bad. It has the stock head unit and your correct im drawing the power from the antenna for the remote power. When I get the chance I will unplug the rca cables to see if it stops or not. I’m using the power from the fuse panel in the engine bay and the ground is in a good spot its has a clean connection no paint any were close to it I think im using a 8 or 10 gage wire for the system. My buddy is going to buy an aftermarket pioneer head unit and when I install it I will use another source for the ground.

Thanks
Bill

It sounds like potentially there could be also be something wrong with how the RCA adapters were made for the OEM hook-up as well as maybe the ground at the head unit (it's not a noticable problem when using stock Bose amps, just after-market)
Unplugging the RCA's at the amp will probably kill it whichever the issue is but it will definitely send you back towards the head unit end anyway.

Good Luck!

Bill,

Let me listen to it this coming weekend. I had the same/similar problem when I did my stereo install and I spent a sunday trying to troubleshoot it. But I'm happy to report that there is no whine and no buzz. :smile: I might be able to help you out

Well it is the stock stereo. It doesnt help much when the first owner of the car took it to some dumn azz stereo back east and fubar the whole install from step one.

Back