• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

California Smog Alert - do you have comptech headers on your 95/96? you'll fail :(

Hi folks,

Just a PSA - if you have a 1995/1996 NSX with your "CARB LEGAL" comptech headers installed, just a heads up you're going to fail visual.

I took my carb legal comptech header installed, 1996 NSX out to a smog shop out here that is sports-car friendly and well rated on yelp. The guy used a mirror on a stick to write down the headers' part# (220-011) and carb EO tag (D-455-21) numbers, pulled up the relevant documents, scratched his head, and asked me: "This is the 3.0L right?"

He then pulled up this document straight from the smog board's servers:
TvimRkT.jpg

Technically he told me this is an instant smog fail on visual as the comptech headers are invalid for 3.0L engines as it is not explicitly stated. Thankfully this is a sports-car-friendly smog shop, and the tech was enough of a car guy to know that 3.2L engines did not exist until 1997 - and smart enough to see two different part #s listed for both 3.2L engine entries. He mentioned these documents were updated last march and since then he's been seeing a lot of these similar misconfiguration errors.

So, he passed me on visual just based on that, but he said most techs are graded on how many cars they fail, and will use this as a chance to get another smog failure under their belt. It makes me uneasy knowing that our smog certifications are left up to the good will of a knowledgeable smog tech, but I don't know what else to do at this point. I've contacted CT Engineering about this issue but have heard nothing back.

Just a heads up, I guess. :)

Last edited:
I doubt they care enough to get that "typo" fixed. Good luck with that though!

I've never heard of failing cars to get a "good" record as far as smog shops go. If indeed true, that sounds like conflict of interest.

Wow, heard back from CARB (they beat ct engineering, who'da thunk a state govt agency would be capable of such a thing?)

"Ray: I have pulled the application that you discussed and reviewed it. There was no error on ARB's part. The application list shown on the EO D-455-21 is based on what was applied for by Comptech. Your device was not granted an exemption by ARB under EO D-455-21 and is not legal to be installed on a vehicle not listed on the EO.

You may call or email me if you have further questions."

CT Engineering is ignoring my emails and DMs on their instagram account, but I don't even know if they support the former Comptech's products. Are we boned? Good thing I kept the stock manifolds...

Thanks for this information. I have a 1995 NSX and got Comptech headers back in 2011.
I never found out they fail smog because I live in a county that doesn't require biannual inspection.

kertong: did the smog tech say anything about the Comptech exhaust?
I have the 230-006 exhaust and I wonder if the same problem applies to that.

Last edited:
Oh joy! I have those now on my 95, expecting to go thru this soon. I will be going to a "friend" to get mine done for sure. I'll check the carb number this weekend just to verify.

I'm going to make a call to Ct and ask.

Just looked up Ct and they are in my backyard. Actually less than 1 mile from where my car is at. Think I'll drop by since they don't take customer calls.

Last edited:
Just looked up Ct and they are in my backyard. Actually less than 1 mile from where my car is at. Think I'll drop by since they don't take customer calls.

might want to give them a heads up - according to my contact at CARB they are in direct violation of california vehicle code 27156 by continuing to sell their headers (part #220-011 ) as carb legal for 95-96 cars.

thanks though, please let us know what they say!

Kertong,

I just left Ct. I just strolled in casually and asked the guy if they still sold headers for the nsx, he asked what year. I told him 95, he then said we sure do! I then told him there may be an issue with the carb legal setup. He then said wow that's funny I'm corresponding with another guy right now about the same issue.

I asked him if this was going to be something I was going to need to worry about, he assured me that he was talking to carb and that he expected the situation would be rectified, he did go on to say that it wasn't going to happen overnight as we are dealing with a governmental agency.

The gentleman was very nice and even showed me around their shop. He wanted to know when my smog was due, I told him in June, he seemed to suggest this whole issue would be over by then. From our conversation he pretty much said they were both at fault for not including the 3.0l into the equation.

What shop was this? I want to make sure I never go there. I have never had a tech use a mirror to look at my headers.

what's wrong with using a mirror on a stick?

either way, it was here: https://www.yelp.com/biz/mountain-view-smog-test-only-center-star-station-mountain-view-2

lol.........a mirror on a stick is not the issue...........I just have never had the the tech look at headers or anything else when I have brought my NSX in. Its hard enough to pass already without having a tech checking for ways to fail you.

There have been NSX friendly smog places listed on the NorCal page before ( I dont believe this place was one of them)............I'm actually taking mine into one on Saturday and that's why I wanted to know where you took yours.

Last edited:
Plus one on the thorough inspection. Never had I had an issue smog going headers or now even with a blower. Both are carb legal but I never had someone look under the car with a mirror as if I was driving into a penitentiary.

Just an update........like I said I would I took my car to get smogged at a place recommended by many here in the Bay Area. The tech did not bust out a mirror to look at the headers..........he already knew Comptech headers were CARB legal and when he saw the CTSC he knew that was legal too..........no hassle and I passed and was out in 20 minutes.

Just an update........like I said I would I took my car to get smogged at a place recommended by many here in the Bay Area. The tech did not bust out a mirror to look at the headers..........he already knew Comptech headers were CARB legal and when he saw the CTSC he knew that was legal too..........no hassle and I passed and was out in 20 minutes.

Nice! Looks like I have a smog shop to take the NSX to next time I smog! Congrats on passing btw, saw your printout. You passed by the skin of your teeth!!

Back