• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Calling Car audio guru's

I currently have a older Kenwood double DIN with a small amp in the boot and some components up front, the sound is ok but not great. struggle to even handle the mid ranges without distortion but i do recall a crossover failing and i replaced it from another from a different brand so wasn't matched for the speakers.

The Kenwood unit is probable about 10 years old, the speakers not far off.

If i was to purchase a state of the art double DIN with 4x50w built in could i run a pair of components with good sound quality and remove the amp in the boot? I would like to update my sound system while simplifiying it if possible.

Technology has moved on also.

I was looking at purchasing this double DIN: https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-kenwood-car-audio-dmx8019dabs_p-41298.htm

With these speakers: https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-kenwood-car-audio-kfc-xs1704_p-42276.htm

I also considered a small self contained sub amplifier for the passenger footwell, i know you can get the moulded ones but they don't make them for the RHD market so was looking at something like this: https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-kenwood-car-audio-ksc-sw11_p-31239.htm

Something that will go in the same location, but does anyone have any experience installing one of these in to the NSX and how well do they fit?

I'm guessing you would make a board for it to mount to? Would you put it behind the carpet of over the top?

I might try it without the sub initially and add if i need to.

My current headunit has a old school Apple connector from a Gen 1, Apple device. Although my phone does play via Bluetooth but the quality isn't there.

Thanks

If you want to run speakers off the head unit try and find some with the highest sensitivity you can. That way you will be getting the most out of each watt you send to them. While I'm sure it will sound fine, honestly even a high end head unit won't have enough power to push a good set of components. Especially if you are using an amp now.

FYI: Cars are a terrible place to reproduce audio.

The NSX is even more terrible. The NSX is great for people that have ears where their ankles ought to be. Or likely it was geared toward people who cared about vehicle performance and/or older people that can only distinguish mid range sound.

The Bose system in the NSX is kinda bogus and was just a "pay for a name".

The last 20+ years most all head units have great response and low noise, any differences are quibbling over precision that is lost in noise. If you need more/different features: then get a new head unit.

If your system doesn't sound "good" to you, then start with some active crossovers and follow up with some good speakers. The NSX is a two channel system: left and right. If you are going to get a single bass speaker, then get a "dual voice coil" one, and wire in the two rear left and right channels crossed down to the recommended frequency of the speaker.

I don't recommend cutting, drilling, or puncturing any of the visible interior parts. The mark of a good system install is to make it completely invisible and modify nothing that you can touch or see. This means that any meaningful increase with fidelity would require a lot of time in effort in fabrication, which is very expensive if you can't do it.

High: maybe some tweeters inside the air vents, the BA8 Prelude did pretty much this. Or grudgingly modify the headrests to some tweeters inside some fabricated foam...keep the original covers and foam to the modification can be reversed in the future.*

Bass: (while nobody took me seriously) I still recommend putting shakers on the back of the seats in the lumbar area...from memory there is enough space to secure a shaker puck and not modify any part of the visible seat. Some seat disassembly required.

Mids: whatever fits behind the door cards without modifying the door cards themselves. Preferably in the Bose sealed box, there isn't enough room for a ported one.

Drew

/source, I used to install high-end stereo's in the mid-80's to help pay for college. My shop would require six months and $30K would install a stereo in a $50K car. Lots of fiberglass fabrication of interior panels, spending a lot of time replicating interior surfaces, and was the informal Pimp My Ride was a thing.

//Nowadays I'm just happy with an aux-in and a couple of 10w speakers I can hear over the road noise. The double DIN reverse camera is very nice.

*The seats have to be disassembled to remove the head rest, so a good time for a shaker install too.

I mounted good quality Alpine 6.5 speakers to the Science of speed speaker mounts and a 75wx 4 Chanel Alpine Amp I mounted behind the drivers seat. I run 75w to each speaker bridged two channels for 150w to a Passenger side wheel well subwoofer. I did dynamat my doors a lil bit. I have an older head unit I stream music threw with a blue tooth adapter. I plan on updating the head unit to an Apple Car play compatible head unit. They have gotten substantially smaller over the years.

Sounds Dam good to me.

Last edited:
Back