• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can anyone near New Westminister please help me check out a NSX?

Hey guys, I came across a 91 red/black NSX on autotrader located in New Westminister. The seller seems to be very friendly and cool as we have already texted each other for some details. He is currently in Saskatoon but will be back in New Westminister this weekend. The link to the ad is here, http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Acura/NSX/NEW WESTMINSTER/British Columbia/19_6919711_/?showcpo=ShowCPO It'll be great if someone can help me look this car over before I book the plane tickets to fly over from Toronto. Any inputs/recommendations/suggestions/informations on buying out of province is greatly appreciated too. I considered buying from the states but I figured with the duties, taxes, and distance it'll pretty much add up to be similar. So thanks a lot guys, hope to be a NSX owner this summer. (Also, I apologize for the clustered sentences. For some reason, I can't seem to start new paragraphs on this forum :frown:)

From the picture, it does look pretty clean. Some things to note:

1) it might have some weird aftermarket security system, you have this odd wire dangling across the airbox
2) seats looks re-skinned
3) missing front lip

Some things you might want to inquire since this is a 1991

1) snap ring
2) window regulators
3) steering rack play
4) has CCU been rebuilt?
5) has speaker amps been rebuilt?
6) condition of A/C

From the ad, it looks like a great buy. as mentioned check the snap ring (transmission serial number)
Asking price is more than fare.
Timing belt, major service records should be checked and evaluated before offering a price.
Everything else mentioned should not be an issue. Simple stuff to take care of.
77,000 kms / 48,000 miles. Low mileage unit. Hard to find.
newer wheel set (bonus)
It needs to be seriously considered. My, opinion.

Thanks a lot for the insights guys. The seller told me that the previous owner confirmed that something has been done to the transmission to address the snap ring issue. However, he will have to return to New Westminister to look over the maintenance documents to confirm this. He also mentioned something about the OEM stereo not working (no biggie IMO).

NSX in BC

I could look this car over for you but can't do much more than confirm that it is a real car.
I have a similar dilemma in looking for cars in Ontario. Even though we no longer have the HST, the 12% tax still applies to vehicles. Add 6% if you want to bring a car up from the US, plus $100.00 airconditioning fee, RIV fees, and other necessary documentation fees such as recall letter, customs fees - and oh yes - a provincial inspection.
Being an old guy who is looking for an automatic, I have been hunting far and wide - and this is the only one that I have found lately: . http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-Rare-classic-W0QQAdIdZ481314374
I know that Ontario has things like the UVIP package, safety standards certificate and Drive clean - which helps a lot.
In BC about all a buyer can do is run a claims check through ICBC (costs around $30.00), and ask for an AirCAre report. The ICBC check will state any insurance claims, but does not include any unreported damage, or claims that may have been covered by optional (non ICBC insurers). A current AirCAre will at least tell you that the motor is healthy enough to pass emissions, but little else.
If it were me seriously considering the car you are interested in, it would be worthwhile to spend a few hundred bucks and have Acura check it out.
There is an Acura dealer about 2 klicks from New Westminister, and if the sellert balked at obtaining such a report, I would be concerned.
Cheers!

Last edited:
bigDave/Andr3w, i would highly suggest looking at this one. 95, 50,000 km. 38 grand.

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Acura/NSX/PENTICTON/British+Columbia/19_6675985_/?showcpo=ShowCPO

i have seen the price drop from about 45, and then to 38k. the car (actually a majority of all the nsx's on the cdn trader) has been listed for many many many (at least 6-12) months.

i felt it was a good deal and then it disappeared from the trader (i thought for certain it had sold), only to reappear again.

hope this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

i don't know about the banks you guys use, but lately when depositing monies from my US clients, i have been getting killed on the conversion rates from USD to CDN (even though USD is worth 1%more) at CIBC.

hence, depending upon your bank, cdn->usa will knock you another 1-3%. i estimate for cdns, its roughly 13%HST+6%DUTY+1-3% exchange conversion loss, customs, inspections, flights to see the car (+ hotels) etc etc. i would factor as a complete upper limit, its about 25% above the USA price to get the car into CDN soil after its all said and done. hence a 40k USD NSX can easily become 50k CDN. ugh.

I could look this car over for you but can't do much more than confirm that it is a real car.
I have a similar dilemma in looking for cars in Ontario. Even though we no longer have the HST, the 12% tax still applies to vehicles. Add 6% if you want to bring a car up from the US, plus $100.00 airconditioning fee, RIV fees, and other necessary documentation fees such as recall letter, customs fees - and oh yes - a provincial inspection.

Back