• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can i afford an NSX from Europe/Benelux

Hi

Ive been looking for a nice early model NSX preferrably a coupe no targa. Unfortunately all the sites like mobile.de or autoscout24.com dont have much to offer at the moment and most cars seem to highly priced or have alot of strange descriptions that dont match the car or no maintenance records.
I am dead set on buying an NSX, but the prices on these sites are slowly eating away at my hopes of ever owning one.

My price range would be around 40000€
that would leave me with around 10k left for repairs or maintenance.
I know it has been asked a million times and usually the answer is: if you have to ask you cannot afford one.
Given this price range, do you guys think i can get a good clean 91/92 that was well maintained?

How much do you guys on average spend on maintenance per year on your NSX?
How much is Insurance for such a car? Doesnt a 91 NSX already fall under the Oldtimer category? If yes insurance and taxes should be extremely low.
I will only drive the NSX for about 10 000km per year, so my guess is maintenance isnt going to be much.

Finally: Should i really look for an expensive well maintained moddel or go for a cheap one and put the money saved into rebuilding the engine and replacing the clutch, hoses ASO?

SInce moving to Germany and looking on AutoScout and Mobile, I have come to the realization that I should have brought my NSX over to Sell. The prices here are rediculas. ALmost double then what they cost back Home (Canada) and the States for that matter.

Are you dead set on a Euro Spec NSX? Would buying North American Spec be of interest? You can buy one from NA, and have it shipped over. I quoted a few shipping companies and they all houvered around the $1500 CAD price. From Halifax NS to Antwerppen NL.

As for spending less to put money into it. I dont reccomend that. Pay a bit more knowing exactly what you are getting yourself into.

SInce moving to Germany and looking on AutoScout and Mobile, I have come to the realization that I should have brought my NSX over to Sell. The prices here are rediculas. ALmost double then what they cost back Home (Canada) and the States for that matter.

Are you dead set on a Euro Spec NSX? Would buying North American Spec be of interest? You can buy one from NA, and have it shipped over. I quoted a few shipping companies and they all houvered around the $1500 CAD price. From Halifax NS to Antwerppen NL.

As for spending less to put money into it. I dont reccomend that. Pay a bit more knowing exactly what you are getting yourself into.

I am not dead set on getting one from Europe, however if you want to import a car from the US or another NON-EU country to the EU you have to pay an import tax.
For Luxembourg (where i live) that import tax is 19% of the price of the car.

Now if you take those 19% + shipping cost + changing the car to euro spec its almost not worth it anymore. You will arrive at the same rediculous price you have to pay to get one here.

Also you have to hire a middleman who can go check the car for you and see if it is in good condition and who will manage the transport.
Theres one import firm here in luxembourg and he also asks 10% of the car price.
So all in all its cheaper to find one here

Last edited:
Yah, I didnt take into account the different fees to import one (even though its the same for back home) Sounds like its just as cheap to get a Honda vice an Acura, which in the end we all want the Honda anyways.

The prices here are rediculas. ALmost double then what they cost back Home (Canada) and the States for that matter.
Yes, they are somewhat but not all. The difference between the US and Europe market is that they sell in the US at even steep prices while they don't sell at the prices asked now here in Europe. The same cars didn't even sell at the price they asked two or three years ago.

For EUR 40k you should find a good car in Europe. 10k for repairs is quite much. Well, I wouldn't pay 40k for a car where I have to invest 10k in repairs.

Expand your searches :)

This looks really nice

http://www.royalgarage.it/site/auto-d-epoca-e-sportive/ad/honda-nsx-3-0-v6-asi,903.html

http://www.subito.it/auto/honda-nsx-3-0-v6-asi-1991-macerata-118128439.htm

I will translate it for you:

HONDA NSX 3.0 V6-201KW\CV273-KM 122.000- ANNO 07\1991-ISCRITTA ASI-UNICO PROPRIETARIO-TUTTI I TAGLIANDI HONDA-APPENA FATTO CINTA DI DISTRIBUZIONE CON SOSTITUZIONE POMPA ACQUA -COLORE ROSSO - INTERNI IN PELLE NERI -SEDILI SPORTIVI-SEDILI ELETTRICI-CLIMATRONIC -RADIO HONDA -VOLANTE SPORTIVO -TEMPOMAT -CERCHI IN LEGA,DISPONIBILI ANCHE CERCHI ORIGINALI -GOMME 100% -COMPLETA DEL LIBRETTO DEI TAGLIANDI -KIT ATTREZZI-VETTURA COME NUOVA- ALTRE FOTO NEL NOSTRO SITO WEB ROYALGARAGE IT -PREZZO DI VENDITA EURO 39.990,00

Registered at the Italian sports car club (ASI)
One Owner
All maintenance done
Just done belt and water pump
original wheels are available
With maintenance records book
tire changing kit

Expand your searches :)

This looks really nice

http://www.royalgarage.it/site/auto-d-epoca-e-sportive/ad/honda-nsx-3-0-v6-asi,903.html

http://www.subito.it/auto/honda-nsx-3-0-v6-asi-1991-macerata-118128439.htm

I will translate it for you:

HONDA NSX 3.0 V6-201KW\CV273-KM 122.000- ANNO 07\1991-ISCRITTA ASI-UNICO PROPRIETARIO-TUTTI I TAGLIANDI HONDA-APPENA FATTO CINTA DI DISTRIBUZIONE CON SOSTITUZIONE POMPA ACQUA -COLORE ROSSO - INTERNI IN PELLE NERI -SEDILI SPORTIVI-SEDILI ELETTRICI-CLIMATRONIC -RADIO HONDA -VOLANTE SPORTIVO -TEMPOMAT -CERCHI IN LEGA,DISPONIBILI ANCHE CERCHI ORIGINALI -GOMME 100% -COMPLETA DEL LIBRETTO DEI TAGLIANDI -KIT ATTREZZI-VETTURA COME NUOVA- ALTRE FOTO NEL NOSTRO SITO WEB ROYALGARAGE IT -PREZZO DI VENDITA EURO 39.990,00

Registered at the Italian sports car club (ASI)
One Owner
All maintenance done
Just done belt and water pump
original wheels are available
With maintenance records book
tire changing kit

I asked them for the VIN number and the guy denied which to me means theres something wrong with it.

In that 'market' (country) I would be cautious anyway.

If you can justify buying one from outside of the EU the Swiss market has quite a lot of cars for sale: see www.autoscout.ch .
You've to pay MWSt. 19% (and maybe taxes?) but in the end won't end up much more expensive. What taxes you have to pay depends on the value printed on the receipt. AND the Swiss cars are lesser 'used' in general. And some cars are not even advertised. A friend sells a 91 with 40k km for around EUR 30k but needs some maintanance to be done as the car was very rarely used in the last years. But the car looks fantastic.

If you can justify buying one from outside of the EU the Swiss market has quite a lot of cars for sale: see www.autoscout.ch .
You've to pay MWSt. 19% (and maybe taxes?) but in the end won't end up much more expensive. What taxes you have to pay depends on the value printed on the receipt. AND the Swiss cars are lesser 'used' in general. And some cars are not even advertised. A friend sells a 91 with 40k km for around EUR 30k but needs some maintanance to be done as the car was very rarely used in the last years. But the car looks fantastic.

Thanks, i didnt even consider the swiss market until now. But then again because they are not an EU member i still need to pay the import taxes. about the taxes beeing dependent on the value printed on the receipt...i know what youre implying but im not sure id take any risk on messing with the tax police xD

Mmm I am Italian and I find your post a bit insulting but whatever, the majority of the NSX for sale here in the US are in worst shape that the worst NSX for sale in Italy.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, i didnt even consider the swiss market until now. But then again because they are not an EU member i still need to pay the import taxes. about the taxes beeing dependent on the value printed on the receipt...i know what youre implying but im not sure id take any risk on messing with the tax police xD

Keep in mind that Italians do not like to give out the VIN because are afraid of "illegal importers" using the VIN on stolen cars. It is almost like giving away your bank info, that is why the practice of communicating the VIn via email is not so common.

Regardless, if after seeing the pictures that stops you from going to check it out in person - then you do not want an NSX bad enough!:smile:

Cheers

If you have a private seller who is lucky to sell the car, plays the game, the price on the receipt, in the add is everywhere the same and about not less than 60% of comparable cars and you just withdrawn that amount recently of your deposit it's all logical. :) The law is there to not observe. Just joking. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Mmm I am Italian and I find your post a bit insulting but whatever, the majority of the NSX for sale here in the US are in worst shape that the worst NSX for sale in Italy.
I'm sorry if you misunderstood my post. I know great and honest Italians, really great people. On the other hand I hear even of Italians born and living in Switzerland that you have to pay attention (there is NO generalisation in this sentence).

I can't compare the condition of the cars between both continents.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep in mind that Italians do not like to give out the VIN because are afraid of "illegal importers" using the VIN on stolen cars. It is almost like giving away your bank info, that is why the practice of communicating the VIn via email is not so common.

Regardless, if after seeing the pictures that stops you from going to check it out in person - then you do not want an NSX bad enough!:smile:

Cheers

Illegal importers, sorry but thats BS.
You could literally go to any carpark and write the vin off of every car there is if you needed one.
There is NO reason not to give out the VIN number unless you are hiding the cars history and you dont want anyone to run a carfax.
Youre right on your other assumption though. I dont want an nsx bad enough to get ripped off by some guy who sells me a salvaged car for twice its worth, and if you thing il make a trip of a few tousand km to italy just to see the damn VIN number then i rather assume hes trying to rip me off and look for a serious seller.

I am right because if you wanted an NSX bad enough you could ask me "Hey - do you know anyone who could go check it out/ can you give them a call for me please?"

I own the same exact model of NSX, from the pictures it looks like a great, accident free and unmolested example. They do not give the ASI certification easily and I myself had to go a long way to get it on a 1977 911.

Good luck with your search.

Oh, BTW, I am not affiliated with them if you are asking :)

bye

Importing depends on what country of origin and to which country your looking to import.
But 40k should be enough to get you a good NSX in that year rang.

We do pre-purchase inspections and if your not experienced in purchasing cars or dealing with such sports cars it's important to have second set of eyes that know what they're doing check stuff out.I see it very often that people get carried away and just by the first one they drive.

That isn't unique to NSX I see it with my Maserati customers as well.

You mention that you might be interested in going to route of buying a cheaper NSX then "refurbishing" it to your desired level,
Personally i really like that method but then again that does bring risk and you really need a game plan and a set of rules/cut-off points if going down that path.

Lately good cars are selling stupidly quick we had 3 good original cars get sold before we could even get there. (they where quite far from us though)
But good deals are still to be made.

Back