• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can I change the feel of my 2004 OEM Clutch feel WITHOUT changing the clutch?

Simple story – my 04 has very low miles and I love the car but every time I go from my s2000 (SOS Supercharged, ACT sport clutch), the NSX feels tame and a bit too stock in comparison! Some people say the light clutch feel of the 2002+ cars are a bonus but quite honestly I find it “too light”….

I’m not looking for a crazy hard RPS type clutch but I just want more spring action if that makes sense (pressure of the clutch slightly harder so it pops out faster) if that makes any sense. When I drove my GT3 or e46 m3, it seems the OEM clutch is much tighter. The NSX clutch is pale in comparison sadly.

My question is can I change the fluid or a different viscosity or even a different spring on the pedal? I don’t want to mess with the engagement since that’s perfect. Again I’m not looking for HARD PRESSURE but just a faster reaction when I let go of the clutch with slightly more pressure. Similar to how my ACT clutch feels on the s2000.

Any lastly for those of you who swapped your clutch out for an aftermarket – is the SOS sport clutch a good option or what did you chose?

thanks

I had the comptech powergrip clutch and its was awesome.

It had a great agressive pedal pressure and a smooth but quick engagement.

Much better for agressive take offs compared to the stock clutch because of its higher holding capacity. no chatter too.

I think the sos sport clutch is an awesome package but the pedal pressure is very similar to stock.

You may want to also consider deleting your clutch damper. this will make your clutch grab faster on fast pedal let offs.

I used to have an RPS Single disc on my car. That thing felt like i was smashing through a pile of bricks. I replaced it with an SOS, but it felt lighter then stock and engagement sucked, which i didnt like. I now have a CT PG1 which feels somewhere in between Stock and RPS. Best decision ever.

Last edited:
Is there a spring on the clutch that provides it tension? If so, you can opt to get another spring or even double it up with another one? I have absolutely no idea if this is a valid suggestion, just a thought.

I agree with suggestion to upgrade the return spring on the clutch pedal (i.e. the spring inside the car near where you feet are). It's a tricky spot to access, but if you can find a suitable spring, or can have one made, it would be a lot less work than whole clutch, and low risk of any side effects.

Rather than try to pull the current spring out, I would first buy a new stock spring from Honda/Acura then take it to a spring manufacturer and ask him to make one with double the spring's current strength. This way I wouldn't have to be off the road while it's made, one of my highest priorities :smile::smile::smile:

Last edited:
The spring is a great idea - will look at it during lunch :)

I don't want to swap clutches due to the cost involved + labor and makes no sense to pull out a perfectly good OEM setup for now.

So changing clutch fluid will not affect the feel?

thanks!

The spring is a great idea - will look at it during lunch :)

I don't want to swap clutches due to the cost involved + labor and makes no sense to pull out a perfectly good OEM setup for now.

So changing clutch fluid will not affect the feel?

thanks!

The fluid will make no diff and messing with the spring will likely make the unit less operable and/or reliable. Change to the old clutch or live with it.

The fluid will make no diff and messing with the spring will likely make the unit less operable and/or reliable. Change to the old clutch or live with it.

Can you explain how the spring on the pedal affects the reliability of the clutch in the transmission?

I also would suggest the damper delete. I used the SOS one. Clutch felt more predictable in it's engagement afterwards. I think it will certainly help in the direction you are going for.

I also would suggest the damper delete. I used the SOS one. Clutch felt more predictable in it's engagement afterwards. I think it will certainly help in the direction you are going for.

Oh there is a piece I have to buy? I thought I can just physically remove the damper?

thanks everyone for chiming in!

P.S. I have been living with it for about 3 years now but it really makes the car less fun to drive with the erratic clutch engagement IMO.

we're only talking about the return spring on the pedal, and there's no way that can affect "reliability of the unit" ... I've done exactly this on several cars in the past, no issues at all. Cheap, effective, less work and no risk

What is this and how does it work?
(I did look on SoS site but couldn't find it, can you provide pointer ?)

we're only talking about the return spring on the pedal, and there's no way that can affect "reliability of the unit" ... I've done exactly this on several cars in the past, no issues at all. Cheap, effective, less work and no risk

Awesome, any pics or where did you get the springs from?

Going to look at it this weekend

We have a new plug and play clutch damper delete and hose assembly that is near completion. Look for it on the site within 2-3 weeks. It increases clutch release by .050" with the same pedal stroke and improves the feel of the engagement - I think will largely address what you're describing.

Changing the springs used for the clutch pedal is a novel idea, but they are a specialized shape, so they'd likely need to be custom made.

-- Chris

Chris, that sounds very interesting, will it be for both NA1 and NA2?

Also, can you explain exactly what the clutch "damper" is that's being deleted ?

Last edited:
Awesome, any pics or where did you get the springs from?

sorry no pics, and anyway it was for my Boxster S some time back, not NSX.

Finding someone to make the custom spring may not be so easy. When i did it there was an "olde worlde" custom spring making shop here in Adelaide, but unfortunately they've closed down. But let me know if you find an outlet over your way, I may be interested in going 50/50 in development costs if you succeed.

Back