• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can I Make My OEM Clutch Feel Like Less Of An On/Off Switch

Just had my clutch changed from an OEM kit to another OEM kit. The previous clutch was in the car for the last 12 years I've owned the car. I picked up my car today & the newly installed clutch is more like an on/off switch more similar to a Stage 1 or Stage 2 racing clutch. Now, I also made a few changes that probably contribute to the new clutch reacting the way it does but I wanted confirmation from some of you here.

Here's what was done. I'm sure the last 2 have the biggest impact on what I'm feeling:
-New master & slave cylinder
-SOS stainless steel clutch hose
-Fidanza Lightweight flywheel

After lots of reading, it seems like the pedal free play can be adjusted to not prematurely wear out the clutch. My pedal free play is fine but I'm wondering if anything can be done to give me more leeway when operating the clutch. Is what I'm experience because of the combination of those 3 parts changes as well as my old clutch was worn and didn't grab as well?

**edit** after a quick drive for a few miles. The change is less of a shock. This clutch just grabs a lot harder than the previous used one, even if both are OEM. Then on top of that the flywheel has the revs dropping extremely quickly. Came close to stalling once on a hill but it's all good now. Car feels lighter, alive & more ready to move under acceleration now with the LW flywheel. Rev matched a few downshifts carefully on the way back. Wow, it's so much better!

Last edited:
The master and slave replacement should not have changed anything unless you got an oddball slave or master with a different cylinder diameter. If they were OEM parts there should be no change. Did the SOS SS line include their damper delete provision? I don't know what the clutch is like without the damper; but, I have heard it described 'as more direct'. You might be experiencing 'more direct' clutch operation if you deleted the damper. A lighter flywheel should not change the engagement experience; but, as soon as the clutch disc starts to contact the flywheel surface the engine RPM will start to drop. With a lighter flywheel the engine speed drop will be faster which you may perceive as the clutch engaging faster. Light flywheels may be the hot ticket for fast engine speed matching and quick shifts on the track. In my experience, they are not the hot ticket for driving around on the street, especially in stop and go traffic. My experience is that they can contribute to making stop and go driving very lurchy.

If your discs were quite worn and particularly with a little glaze, you may have had a lot more slip on the initial engagement giving you the perception of a broader friction point. However, quite often glaze can result in a lurch when it finally grabs so I don't know whether that is the problem. This may be a case of you relearning to drive a fresh clutch complicated by a lightweight flywheel and maybe a clutch damper delete. There might be something up with the new discs or the flywheel surface. Irregularities on the surface of the flywheel can make for a grabby experience and some shudder. If you don't have any shudder then maybe give it a little while to see if things improve or you adapt your driving style.

The master and slave replacement should not have changed anything unless you got an oddball slave or master with a different cylinder diameter. If they were OEM parts there should be no change. Did the SOS SS line include their damper delete provision? I don't know what the clutch is like without the damper; but, I have heard it described 'as more direct'. You might be experiencing 'more direct' clutch operation if you deleted the damper. A lighter flywheel should not change the engagement experience; but, as soon as the clutch disc starts to contact the flywheel surface the engine RPM will start to drop. With a lighter flywheel the engine speed drop will be faster which you may perceive as the clutch engaging faster. Light flywheels may be the hot ticket for fast engine speed matching and quick shifts on the track. In my experience, they are not the hot ticket for driving around on the street, especially in stop and go traffic. My experience is that they can contribute to making stop and go driving very lurchy.

If your discs were quite worn and particularly with a little glaze, you may have had a lot more slip on the initial engagement giving you the perception of a broader friction point. However, quite often glaze can result in a lurch when it finally grabs so I don't know whether that is the problem. This may be a case of you relearning to drive a fresh clutch complicated by a lightweight flywheel and maybe a clutch damper delete. There might be something up with the new discs or the flywheel surface. Irregularities on the surface of the flywheel can make for a grabby experience and some shudder. If you don't have any shudder then maybe give it a little while to see if things improve or you adapt your driving style.

There's no shudder at all. The rev's don't seem to be dropping too fast for me, although I only drove the car home a few miles and that was it.
I think it might be a combination of all that was changed today. Especially, since my other clutch was the original old clutch. I think it's just me, being shocked by how hard the new clutch grabs. Then there's the stainless hose (I did not buy the damper delete version) & especially the lightweight flywheel adding a completely new feeling on top of that.

I knew the extremely light Fidanza was a calculated risk because of how light it is compared to the OEM flywheel but I really wanted a feeling I miss from my old S2000. Much faster RPM movement when rev matching. I really miss that. I was so gentle on the way home with the car but the few quick downshifts so far were much better. Especially, since the transmission internals were changed as well.

I do think the friction point is way more narrow now. No big deal, I'll relearn it easily.

I have to agree with Old Guy. I recently had my clutch replaced and it felt odd. It felt it grabbed too quickly. I even stalled it out in the parking lot going home. After a few days I got used to it and all is well. Also, the rear end ratio is 4:10. That is a steep gear and will come on quick in any event. Keep driving. Jerry

I have to agree with Old Guy. I recently had my clutch replaced and it felt odd. It felt it grabbed too quickly. I even stalled it out in the parking lot going home. After a few days I got used to it and all is well. Also, the rear end ratio is 4:10. That is a steep gear and will come on quick in any event. Keep driving. Jerry

Thanks. I edited my original post that night to say I took the car for a 20 minute drive and it was fine. It was just very different to my old clutch. It's fine now, I love it.

Back