• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can someone explain EV mode

Hi. So I've gone through manual, but can't seem to figure out the logic for when EV mode turns on and off. For example, when my battery is charged the gas engine still kicks on at low rpms at times, and other times it does not. Can someone give me the cliff notes on EV works?

It's not like a true hybrid. You need to gingerly apply throttle to be able to just use the battery propulsion. I was able to do so in the bumper to bumper traffic when I had my NC1. The ICE will kick in if you give more than a feather touch to the pedal. After doing this a few times and being frustrated, I just said fuck it.

It's not like a true hybrid. You need to gingerly apply throttle to be able to just use the battery propulsion. I was able to do so in the bumper to bumper traffic when I had my NC1. The ICE will kick in if you give more than a feather touch to the pedal. After doing this a few times and being frustrated, I just said fuck it.

Yeah, I've pretty much said the same thing :). I wish, for my neighbors sake I could start it in EV mode... or figure out why sometimes it immediately switches to EV after starting, and other times it takes much longer to switch.

I like to think of it as an EV "creep" mode. You can creep back into your house when coming home late at night. You know... from working late. ahem. You can also creep out of your house before the wife tells you to do the dishes.

It's got less than a third the size of a Prius battery. It won't really be of much use for any type of normal city driving.

I like to think of it as an EV "creep" mode. You can creep back into your house when coming home late at night. You know... from working late. ahem. You can also creep out of your house before the wife tells you to do the dishes.

It's got less than a third the size of a Prius battery. It won't really be of much use for any type of normal city driving.

Haha, yes 100%! That said, it's the leaving part I can't figure out. Sometimes after starting the vehicle it switches to EV. Other times the gas engine is running for a couple minutes before it switches.

back when the NC1 came out all the super "hybrid" cars had the same pitiful 20-30 mile ev only range...kinda like token EV for bragging rights/ tax credits....

it sucks that you cant start it in EV mode. you have to fire the ICE first. For better or worse, no quiet escapes. :biggrin:

it sucks that you cant start it in EV mode. you have to fire the ICE first. For better or worse, no quiet escapes. :biggrin:

Part of the "it" factor for powerful cars is the cold start, sets the tone for the fun drive you are about to have

If you could start the NSX in EV mode that would be lost

The cold start is a thing with alot of big motors like the HC and 392's any high compression NA Italians/ V10's ect but the muffled cosworth TT of the NC1 meh...starting in EV should be an option...

I wonder if people really appreciate how smooth the transition from ice to battery and back to ice. Most hybrids have a modified 4 stroke engine. Here we have a race engine that is a hybrid. It is as smooth as any Prius I have had in the past. While a lot of buyers are not buying this car because it is a hybrid I see it as a milestone car especially when selling price is taken into account. Porsche built around 500 of the PHEV 918 selling for around $950,000 each. Great car but out of reach for most of us. So the NSX is really a bargain when you compare it. I wonder how the MC PHEV is selling? How many Ferrari PHEVs were sold?

Most Porsches start up in loud mode for a couple of seconds. It takes a moment for the vacuum valves to pressurize and close the exhaust valves in the muffler. It's weird how they don't default to closed but I understand the reasoning having built a valved exhaust myself.

I wonder if people really appreciate how smooth the transition from ice to battery and back to ice.

I have to chime in to agree with this. It is amazing to me how smoothly the transmission (and other components) goes back and forth between modes--literally amazing.

But back to the OP's question, I can't help with that because I've had the same questions myself. I think I understand how the EV system works like 90% of the time, but then there's that 10% where I'm like "Why the hell is the ICE engine running right now?" I'm sure there's some explanation having to do with cooling, duty cycles, or whatever but it does leave me puzzled sometimes.

For "EV mode", AKA quiet mode, first the engine needs to be warmed up. Silly as that sounds, it allows the car to stay in EV mode longer and with heavier throttle. Once the engine is warm, I can drive up to 60kph in EV mode, if not climbing a hill.
I back into my garage. I switch to EV mode to do this as it is not only quieter, but no exhaust either. I can drive around the neighborhood in quiet mode with really no issue.

It's really cool to silently cruise into a national park scenic area as people stare and wonder what the heck is that?!

Even pulling out of the local car gathering in EV mode you can hear people comment - that car is really quiet. Most have no clue how it works.

Back