• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Canada: Aftermarket exhaust / Noise Restrictions

For those who have aftermarket exhausts. Have the police/ local authorities ever given you problems about it?

I am considering upgrading my system, but am concerned that it may be an excuse to write a ticket.

Thoughts?

They can if they want to because of the Hollywood muffler law now, basically any muffler that isn't factory.

But I notice with my NSX being louder then my civic I have never gotten pulled for it they just look and smile. I guess cause its the car it is, if my civic was half as loud I would get pulled for sure!

In some states in teh US is 100db as the limit. In Toronto there is no set amount so it's up to the discretion of the officer giving you the ticket. I once received a ticket on my S2000 to the exhaust being too loud even though the car was off and parked there for over an hour. Cop said it looked too loud. Got the bullshit ticket thrown out but still a hassle to go to court just for that.

Mine is pretty loud and I have no problems going even louder but Bruno is right, the car is half the battle. I'm usually driving around town in high revs but I do make a point in dropping to neutral if I see cops around. I usually don't have cats on either and I remember one time idling the car and a couple of York Region cops stopped and got out to look at it one summer... I thought for sure I was going to get a ticket. The exhaust fumes smelled horrible esp. since it had been idling for a few minutes. I got there and turned off the car and they just asked about it out of curiosity, etc, smiled and went along thier business. I've got another story, but I'll leave that for the next meet... when my wife isn't around to hear it... ;)

Last edited:
I have the RMRacing/Billy Boat exhaust with Cantrell Concept headers with cats and it's loud but I've never been stopped .. including when I've been in Wpg on business. Before I put the headers on, I would set off car alarms in underground parkades but since putting the headers on, it's more mellow. Search YouTube for NSX2398 and there are some videos I took at idle; accelerating away; and on a dyno .. which should give you an idea of the sound level. The exhaust is loudest inside the car when at about 2000 RPM and then gets quieter around 3000 RPMs for cruising

Noise restrictions

:
Mine is pretty loud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
No kidding! you should follow it on a cruise for an hour: eek:

Seriously, apparently there are no exhaust noise regulations in Ontario, it's at the officers discretion, so if you get stopped don't piss the guy off.

Back