• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cant's get into any gear with clutch depressed..

I installed a new clutch about a year/7K miles ago. about 6 times in the last few months, I found that the car won't go into gear with the clutch depressed..

example: I get into the car to go to work, start it up, depress clutch and I can't get the car into any gear.. I'll then turn the car off, shift into 1st or reverse and start the car with it in gear. When I turn the key, the car will jump a little. After that, it seems to work fine.. but today, I got in and the same thing again, shut it off, put into first gear and turned the key.. this time the car kept moving with the turns of the starter until it turned over..

I drove the the end of my street and came to a stop sign, depressed the clutch and when I came to a stop, the car stalled.. it's like the clutch isn't fully engaging. after another restart, I felt more of a jolt, and the tranny was fine the rest of the day..

My fluid level was fine. I flushed the system anyways.. I replaced the slave about 6 months ago.. Don't know what it could be.. any thoughts??

NA1 is cable actuated and the cable might have broken, NA2 is drive by wire so only possiblities is master cylinder is low or dead or slave cylinder or shot clutch.

NA1 is cable actuated and the cable might have broken, NA2 is drive by wire so only possiblities is master cylinder is low or dead or slave cylinder or shot clutch.

???
I think only the throttle body is drive by wire on NA2 and and the slave cylinder is hydraulic on all NSX.

???
I think only the throttle body is drive by wire on NA2 and and the slave cylinder is hydraulic on all NSX.

Hmm possibly, if I am wrong you buy lunch?:biggrin:

I installed a new clutch about a year/7K miles ago. about 6 times in the last few months, I found that the car won't go into gear with the clutch depressed..

example: I get into the car to go to work, start it up, depress clutch and I can't get the car into any gear.. I'll then turn the car off, shift into 1st or reverse and start the car with it in gear. When I turn the key, the car will jump a little. After that, it seems to work fine.. but today, I got in and the same thing again, shut it off, put into first gear and turned the key.. this time the car kept moving with the turns of the starter until it turned over..

I drove the the end of my street and came to a stop sign, depressed the clutch and when I came to a stop, the car stalled.. it's like the clutch isn't fully engaging. after another restart, I felt more of a jolt, and the tranny was fine the rest of the day..

My fluid level was fine. I flushed the system anyways.. I replaced the slave about 6 months ago.. Don't know what it could be.. any thoughts??

If it's the original unit, it's most likely the clutch master cylinder. You cannot visually tell if there is a small leak.

You don't have to have a leak if the Master/Slave is bad.

Try this:

- Flush the clutch hydraulic again
Problem not solved:
- Initialise the clutch
Problem not solved:
- Inspect or replace the master cylinder (slave has been replaced, what about the little o-ring of the hose attaching the slave) -> no air in the system
Problem not solved:
- now it's getting expensive: clutch

Good luck!

I shouldhave mentioned I installed a aftermarket clutch(can't remember what brand) single disc with light weight flywheel. I can't help but feel it's more of a clutch issue. I'm going to order a new master and see if that fixes the problem..

ohh, yes, i did replace the little rubber O-ring as well.

I shouldhave mentioned I installed a aftermarket clutch(can't remember what brand) single disc with light weight flywheel. I can't help but feel it's more of a clutch issue. I'm going to order a new master and see if that fixes the problem..

ohh, yes, i did replace the little rubber O-ring as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I Think I remember Larry B telling me that if you pull the carpet back on the driver side where the master cylinder comes threw the firewall they have a tendency it leak there needing a replacement

I would try a new master cylinder.

i'd start with the master.....

yup i had this same problem... replace both the master and the slave at the same time and flush the system. You will be good to go. This is the least expensive route to take.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I Think I remember Larry B telling me that if you pull the carpet back on the driver side where the master cylinder comes threw the firewall they have a tendency it leak there needing a replacement

I would try a new master cylinder.

i had my 1994 apart yesterday and when i removed the drivers side carpet i got a lovely surprise. the floor was coated in fluid, the foam was soaked and when i got underneath and looked the paint was melting away from the clutch pedal.

dont know how long its been that way but it looks to be a while. better to catch it now at least before it got worse!

Back