• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CARB legal intake help

Hi All,
I just added a 1996 NSX to the collection, but it needs to be smogged here in CA. Although it was indeed smogged by the previous owner in the state, the current Injen cold air intake is not carb approved and my smog resources wont let it pass. I have been through this many times with many interesting cars, but this seems to be surprisingly challenging to solve.
I have scoured Google and the forums, and I cant seem to find an availible CARB legal intake of any kind for the car. Is there a go to resource that I am missing? If not aftermarket, is there an easy place to acquire a complete airbox and assembly that would pass?
Thanks for the help in advance.

I don't know how much of your air intake system is missing; but, the original intake system parts all appear to be available, at least from Amayama

Not cheap for everything, especially with the shipping costs. Be aware that Amayama lists parts for JDM spec cars, most of which fit USDM cars; but some parts may be different.

Some of the parts appear to be available in the continental US so check with your dealer

You could also post in the Wanted to Buy forum to see if anybody has the parts left over from their cold air intake installation.

Agree with @Old Guy- I don't believe there has ever been an aftermarket intake system that is CARB approved. The Comptech airbox uses the OEM airbox lid, so it may pass visual inspection. You could try that. I would use the OEM air filter with it instead of the Uni filter, which will coat your throttle body in sticky oil.

I don't know how much of your air intake system is missing; but, the original intake system parts all appear to be available, at least from Amayama

Not cheap for everything, especially with the shipping costs. Be aware that Amayama lists parts for JDM spec cars, most of which fit USDM cars; but some parts may be different.

Some of the parts appear to be available in the continental US so check with your dealer

You could also post in the Wanted to Buy forum to see if anybody has the parts left over from their cold air intake installation.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I will check it out.

Back