• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Carbon Fiber B-pillar overlays

Fellas, I am going to fabricate genuine carbon fiber overlays (similar to the CF aftermarket kits available for the interior dash)for the exterior B-pillars. This look can be seen on Adam Saruwatari's yellow NSX somewhere in the picture gallery, however his are actual replacement pillars made by Gruppe M? Because mine will be high quality OVERLAYS, they obviously are for nothing more than aesthetics, but would nonetheless IMO look particular sharp on early 91-93 black top NSXes. This look can also be seen on the first gen MB C-class sportline & AMG models. Just wanted to gauge demand for possible bulk fabrication, group buy, etc. If this project materializes & is reasonably affordable I am considering starting a very small business of custom, one-off NSX accessories in my spare time. Other products would include lexan parking light covers (similar to Mugen's), CF overlays for the side scoops, oem mesh aluminum engine cover. This is all up in the air at the moment, in light of the uncertain economic times ahead of us. I'll keep everyone posted if & when I finish my prototype CF B-pillar overlays. So far, I have successfully fabricated mesh engine covers for four NSXers on this forum. I just completed a custom CF dash piece for my modified center console which has been refabricated to fit a single DIN CD unit and also has a cup holder in lieu of the shallow coin tray. I will post pics if I figure how to do so, or I can email pics to anyone interested.

I am interested in your center console CF insert for sure! If you could send me pictures I might be your first buyer as I want to put a new stereo in and would require a standard DIN.

I am also interested in your mesh engine cover, the only problem is my NSX has the Comptech Supercharger so the stock cover won't work. I don't need a cover that can fit the top as I just use the trunk. The Comptech cover is useless for storing the top anyway.

By the way I am not sure if it matters but I own a '00 NSX-T.

[This message has been edited by Carguy! (edited 19 September 2001).]

Agreed. I would love a DIN compatible center console... I've heard so many people say "I want to do a custom stereo" that I can't seem to figure out why no one offers one of these yet...

Carguy & SIGEPUCI, I mentioned the center console mod in my NSX only to share an idea of how one might go about modifying this piece in their own NSX. But of all the custom pieces I mentioned, the center console single DIN fabrication is the most complicated & is the one mod that I probably won't be offering to the public. Reason being is b/c I had no part in actually cutting up of the factory center console as this was done by a professional stereo installer. He charges about $300 for this. A year after this was done, I made a template of the modified dash & I outsourced this pattern & had a custom carbon fiber overlay made to fit the new dash (see Enrique Thompson's aka PRONTO3000's NSX pics-he did the same thing). This center CF piece was 1 of 7 other pieces in a complete CF dash kit, which included right & left arm rests, speedometer cluster trim, clock trim, ashtray lid, center vent trim. This kit runs $350, but b/c the center was custom made, it cost me $500, still not bad considering this is how much the generic RM & Comptech NSX kits cost. But as you can see, this was one expensive project that was spread over time b/w two fabricators & myself, whew!!! Also, b/c every stereo installer has a different approach on how they decide to chop up your dash to fit an aftermarket stereo & depending on which stereo set up you go with, each & every console is a one-off & difficult to standardize a pattern,etc. I will take pics ASAP though & you'll get a better idea of all this babbling!

Back