• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Carbon Fiber Durability

I'm considering the purchase of a daily driver the previous owner of whom has removed the stock hood and installed a carbon fiber hood (it's not an exotic car!). Unfortunately my garage is full of non-daily driver cars and this new car would have to spend it's life in the midwest outside, weathering sunshine, rain, snow, ice, etc.. My question is this: is carbon fiber up to this? Honestly, I would prefer that as a daily it had the plain old painted oem hood, but that's not an option. What do you guys think?

Thanks

There’s a variety of factors that it comes down to but it’s mainly the clear coat used. Cheap companies “think overseas China production houses and anyone else that’s crunching numbers” will likely spend 20 on a gallon of clear vs 100. Most however use cheap clear gel coats that have no or zero uv inhibitors and that’s where the problem lies.

If it’s already yellow and degrading I think the best solution is to expoxy prime and get it painted. If it’s not degrading yet I would recommend getting it recleared if you want longevity since you don’t know of the products used to make it.

I know of some Nsx owners here that re-clear their parts after buying in precaution and it seems to work.

I have so many questions! Let's start with, why do you have a "garage full of non-daily drivers"? And, given that's true and this car is a non-exotic that someone (for whatever reason) put a CF hood on, why do you care how it ages? Pardon me for making assumptions, but it seems like you have the financial resources to replace that hood (or that car, completely) at the drop of a hat...

Back