• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cars to invest in for the near future

For Honda's I think an unmolested Intergra Type R, CRX (I see ALL of their generations) increasing in value. I saw an unmolested 1991 white CRX manual on Autotrader the other day for $18,000, I highly doubt he will get it but still looked impressive.

One Honda that has suprised me with increasing value is my 1966 Honda S600 roadster, I had been looking for one for years, they would run ~$3000, now I have not seen one for sale <$20,000 and that's if you can even find one.

If you like others, I have notived a large increase in the values of OEM Porsche 914-6's and I also agree with unolelested 1995 MR2 Turbo's. The Japanese Nostalgic trend is really heating up so early 70's, 80's Honda's, Toyotas, Nissan/Datsuns (240Z anyone) are getting popular again and hard to find.

Good luck.

I was wishing last night that I had purchased a Subaru XT6 back in the 80s. Of course most of you young whippersnappers probably don't even know what that is. :D:redface::frown:

xt_brochure.jpg

In my limited scope of cars, this is what I'd buy for my collection:

1. 1997 Acura Integra Type R
2. 2002 Honda S2000, white with red interior
3. 1995 Mustang Cobra R
4. 1991 (?) Toyota Celica All-Trac
5. BMW 850
6. The new Ford Boss 302 Laguna Seca edition
7. The new Chevy Camaro SS
8. 1987 Buick Grand National
9. 1993 Mazda RX-7 R1

I have a few in mind
1. E34 m5
2. Integra type r
3. E39 m5
4. E46 m3
5. 997 turbo

With the new cars becoming less user friendly every year, it will stir up the market and you will see people buying older cars so they can actually work on the cars without having to bring it to the dealer.

I did not purchase my 77 SL MBZ to be a collector car. I have driven it to around 120K miles in 35 years. Do you guys think this car will have some collector value? Your thoughts?

I have relatives who own collections of cars, and none of the cars listed by all of you are even on the radar. Well, the Ford GT is one of them and when a cousin of mine tried to sell it at an auction recently the bids only got to $125k. His GT was factory modified to 750hp and the reserve was $185k.

Go to RM auctions and browse some of the previous years sales. It will give an idea of what brands of cars are collectible, and which are not.

If everything is restored properly then you have a gem in your garage.

The car is all OEM. In fact, it still has the original wheels that match the color of the car. The exterior has a couple of modest blemishes to the paint
and the interior looks like new. I changed the original Becker radio sometime ago and put in a Blaupunkt radio.

I have babied the car over the last 35 years using it largely for weekend travel during good weather. If you had to appraise a value now or later what would you think we are looking at? Your thoughts?

The car is all OEM. In fact, it still has the original wheels that match the color of the car. The exterior has a couple of modest blemishes to the paint
and the interior looks like new. I changed the original Becker radio sometime ago and put in a Blaupunkt radio.

I have babied the car over the last 35 years using it largely for weekend travel during good weather. If you had to appraise a value now or later what would you think we are looking at? Your thoughts?

If you're the original owner with all the original manual my guess is around $15K.

The car is a classic!

Last edited:
Limited edition F cars and special P cars. But i think our youth will be so stupid who knows what they will want. Likely not anything that we would want to hold.

Steel early amerifan that are candidates for rodding like the popular models like Willys and Anglias are going up all the time.

Low mileage stock S2000's hold their value and I've noticed they've been increasing in price these past few years.

I just sold my 05' S2000 (17k miles) to a local Honda Dealership for $19k. I bought it last year for $17k with 13k miles. Probably could have gotten $21k private party, but didn't want to go through the hassle. I'm happy :biggrin:

Last edited:
BINGO.

cars != investments.

the best you can do within a reasonable timeframe is to buy on that has for the most part depreciated to the point that it wont depreciate much further. an early 90s nsx would be a basic example.

Agree to everyone, cars and vehicles are generally not a good investment for future sales. The best you can hope for is probably the price not dropping as much as other cars of the same era and class.

ALSO for anything to hold value or even increase in value at a later point of sale you'll have to be looking at a VERY long time horizon. Say, at least 30-40 years? Also, it has to be MINT, like factory new mint. Meaning your ownership of the vehicle will just be another peice of art on display in your garage. You probably will not get to enjoy it as much as you'd initial imagined. Factor in inflation, cost of storage, insurance, it might still be a long way from holding to its original value..

Most definately! One recently went for $148k at an auction.

I think any 2 door pre-80 BMW's are very good candidates. Remember the M1. My favorite would have to be the E9 CS coupes from the late 60's to mid 70's. The msrp for them were around $7k and now for a decent one that still needs work $15k and for a really nicely properly restored one for over $50k. Only a few thousand were imported into the USA and were all hand made at the Karmann factory. Downside is that they suffered the rust worm really easily and not many are road worthy anymore. But the E9 that you really want to get your hands on one are the CSL. Good luck finding one for less than $100k now.

Back