• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CCU oddity

Recently, I noticed that when I turned my ignition switch to the run position, the heater / AC blower was running on low speed and the fresh air indicator light was on even though the CCU was switched off. When I turned the CCU on I could control the fan and with the engine running, all the CCU functions work just fine including all the self test features. I have never really noticed this phenomena before because I normally leave the CCU in the full auto or on condition all the time. If the CCU is switched on when I turn the ignition switch on and I turn the CCU off, the fan stops completely although the fresh air indication remains lit.

I checked in the owners manual because I thought this is perhaps a feature to circulate fresh air and stop the HVAC system from developing unfortunate smells; however, there is no description of this phenomena in the manual. I also searched Prime to see if the fan running while the system is shut off is a precursor of CCU failure. However, I couldn't come up with any threads describing this particular phenomena. Has anybody else experienced this?

Given the possibility that this is a precursor of CCU capacitor failure, I did a search and found a list of the capacitors to be replaced. However, the list was for an early model year car. My car is a 2000. Given the experience of others with the Bose audio system, there were changes during the production run and I am wondering whether anybody has done the capacitor replacement on a later CCU and has confirmed that the capacitor sizes for the later CCUs are the same as for the early cars. If the CCU is getting ready to check out I would like to have the capacitors on hand to do a preemptive repair. With the capacitors on hand I figure I should be able to have the CCU out, repaired and back in a day which is critical since an NSX with a black leather interior and no AC is no place to be on a sunny day.

Last edited:
don't you usually answer questions like this:tongue:

.. I am wondering whether anybody has done the capacitor replacement on a later CCU and has confirmed that the capacitor sizes for the later CCUs are the same as for the early cars.
Your best bet might be to talk to BrianK on Prime as he repairs them so I'm sure he'd know the differences by year.

don't you usually answer questions like this:tongue:

I usually defer to direct experience. I also cling to the fleeting hope that somebody will say, 'don't worry - that is perfectly normal'. The replacement of the CCU capacitors is relatively trivial since I have a soldering work station with vacuum which makes life relatively easy. Its the business of pulling apart the center console I dislike because of the plastic bits that go snap - in a bad way! Then it raises the question that if I am in there doing the CCU fix, should I pull out the head unit and do its capacitor fix at the same time? Pulling apart the head unit is much more time consuming and there are a pile o more capacitors in the head unit so that probably turns it into a more than one day project.

Come on somebody and tell me that this is perfectly normal and that I don't have to deal with these decisions!

CCU, a space oddity sounded better.:smile:

I removed the center console multiple times in my NSX and I never scratched or snapped anything. You just have to be careful and take your time. How many times a year do,you use AC in the Tundra?��

I removed the center console multiple times in my NSX and I never scratched or snapped anything. You just have to be careful and take your time. How many times a year do,you use AC in the Tundra?��

I have had the center console apart to do some clean up work on my head unit because a previous owner managed to get what looked like coffee or coke on the inside of the head unit display. Not sure how they did that. I just dislike doing it because of the risk associated with ageing plastic.

The last few days, the daytime highs have been in the 25 - 29 C range; but, all suffering is relative! It might not be hot for somebody from LA or Delray Beach; but, sure feels hot for someone from North of 49. However, I find that with the large expanse of glass on the NSX and the wonderful all black interior, its more an issue of how sunny it is rather than the air temperature. With no clouds in the sky and no smog, that interior really hot really fast. I expect that from June to August I am probably always running the AC if I am driving between 10:00 am and 6:00 pm.

Ian (NSX2398) has the wonderful black on black combination. Perhaps he can offer up his opinion on the solar heat gain issue - perhaps I am just a wuse!

Ian (NSX2398) has the wonderful black on black combination. Perhaps he can offer up his opinion on the solar heat gain issue - perhaps I am just a wuse!
You're right about the solar gain .. large front window over top of a black dash which is just above the a/c evaporator ... means mine takes a while to get cold air out of it .. and I would expect it to be a problem for all owners regardless of color. I've been feeling it more in the last couple of weeks as I've had to leave it on the driveway due to some work in the garage. However, I think that north of the 49, there's probably fewer people using those pop-up windshield shade things and I keep thinking I should get one. Don't know how well they fold up though .. there's not a lot of interior room. Many some of the US owners can comment on effectiveness.

On a somewhat related topic, I find that in the summer, I get some bubbling of the A-pillar inside coverings. I've been tempted to use a pin to try to release any built-up air bubble .. can't think what else might be causing it. I don't recall it when I got the car back in 2001 .. seems to have been more noticeable in the last decade. Maybe the adhesive is wearing out.

However, I think that north of the 49, there's probably fewer people using those pop-up windshield shade things and I keep thinking I should get one. Don't know how well they fold up though .. there's not a lot of interior room. Many some of the US owners can comment on effectiveness.

I have this one, and it unfolds and folds up quite easily and stashes behind the seat. I found it helpful to get the optional carrying case to help keep it in place back there. It's custom-fit for the NSX, and fits perfectly, unlike generic ones I tried which didn't fit well on our windshields. I have used these in cars forever, and they really do keep the interior a lot cooler. They also help protect it from damaging UV rays, which over time can fade or even crack an interior. They're frequently on sale here-

https://www.autoanything.com/driving-accessories/covercraft-windshield-sun-shade
<section class="col-1" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; float: left; width: 313px; color: rgb(83, 83, 83); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;"><section class="priceStack mbl medium-margin-top" style="margin: 10px 0px 24px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; float: left;"><section id="vehicleSectionContainer" class="priceStackSection priceStackSection-noTopBorder " style="margin: 0px; padding: 15px 0px; border-width: 0px 0px 1px; border-top-style: initial; border-right-style: initial; border-bottom-style: solid; border-left-style: initial; border-top-color: initial; border-right-color: initial; border-bottom-color: rgb(211, 212, 211); border-left-color: initial; border-image: initial; float: left; width: 299px; height: auto; opacity: 1;"><section class="vehicleSectionContainer vehicleSelectorDisplaySelector vehicle-unselected" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; float: left; overflow: hidden;">Features

• The Covercraft UVS 100 Windshield Sun Shade not only keeps your car cool, but protects your dash from ugly cracks, warps and other damage
  • Custom-fit for your car, truck or SUV's windshield
  • The triple-layer defense reflects sunlight while lowering cabin temperatures
  • Reflective exterior deflects UV light
  • Middle layer insulates your interior, dropping temperatures by up to 40°F
  • Inner felt layer is gentle on your glass
  • Available in a wide variety of colors to complement your style
Custom Fit For Your 1995 Acura NSX
Change

</section></section><section class="priceStackSection priceStackSection-noTopBorder" style="margin: 0px; padding: 15px 0px; border-width: 0px 0px 1px; border-top-style: initial; border-right-style: initial; border-bottom-style: solid; border-left-style: initial; border-top-color: initial; border-right-color: initial; border-bottom-color: rgb(211, 212, 211); border-left-color: initial; border-image: initial; float: left; width: 299px;"><label class="disabledColorLabel" style="margin: 3px 6px 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-size: 14px; display: block; float: left;">Available Colors</label>
  • covercraft_sunshade_UVS_blue_aa.gif
  • covercraft_sunshade_UVS_gold_aa.gif
  • covercraft_sunshade_UVS_green_aa.gif
  • covercraft_sunshade_UVS_rose_aa.gif
  • covercraft_sunshade_UVS_silver_aa.gif

</section></section></section>

Last edited:
On a somewhat related topic, I find that in the summer, I get some bubbling of the A-pillar inside coverings. I've been tempted to use a pin to try to release any built-up air bubble .. can't think what else might be causing it. I don't recall it when I got the car back in 2001 .. seems to have been more noticeable in the last decade. Maybe the adhesive is wearing out.

I have noticed the same thing on my passenger side A pillar. A couple of small, approximately 6mm in diameter bulges appear on the lower part of the A pillar when the A pillar gets some serious sun exposure. The interior trim parts of the NSX like the A pillar are likely ABS with a covering of vinyl with foam backing which gives them a slightly soft feel. The vinyl / foam is likely glued to the ABS and most adhesives do soften when exposed to heat allowing delamination of the vinyl. So far, the bulges seem to disappear when the car cools so I am not overly motivated to do anything about them. The best fix would probably be to peel off the vinyl and then find a suitable adhesive to reapply it - providing that you didn't stretch or tear the original vinyl upon removal. Unless Honda sells replacement fabric for the vinyl, even though its black trying to color and grain match the existing vinyl can be a nightmare. I discovered that a while ago doing some work on another car. There are a hell of a lot of different blacks and grain patterns.

Back