• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CD Changer Loads All CDs, But Won't Play

I recently purchased an all stock 1992 NSX. It did not have a CD magazine so I bought a couple of used ones.
When I load the magazine the changer will grab a disc, pull it in, spin it for a few seconds, put it back, and grab the next disc. It never plays any of them.
Any idea what the issue could be?
Many thanks for the help.

Do you have the discs up the wrong way?
Are they normal CD’s or CD-R‘s - the latter may be incompatible with the CD changer.
They are standard CDs. I inserted them with the face both ways... I also thought that may be the case. I also cleaned the readers with alcohol, thinking it may be dirty.

I read between the lines that the head unit is allowing you to go into CD mode and is displaying the disc number. Does it attempt to display track number 1 before spitting out the disc?

When in CD mode, the head unit can display a number of CD drive related error codes. Unfortunately, most of these appear to be related to the changer mechanism problems, not a problem reading the disc. When you said you cleaned the readers (plural?) I assume that you mean the laser diode and photo receptor which there will only be one of?

If possible, it may be useful to remove the cover of the CD player and watch it while it is in operation. You want to confirm that rather than just hearing something spin, the mechanism is successfully grabbing the disc and pulling the disc onto the drive mechanism and spinning it to read it. If the discs are successfully moving in and out of the drive mechanism then you likely have a problem with the read electronics.

The disc number is displayed.
It shows Cd1.00 through all six discs... Cd2.00 and so on. Never shows track 01.
The cover is off. The discs are pulled in, spun, and put back.
Yes, I cleaned the clear lense within the changer that reads the disc.
After going though all discs, the display shows Cd0.00

Last edited:
If you are confident that your CDs are good, it seems like your read electronics have given up because the head unit is successfully talking to the CD player. That may or may not be repairable. If you are not wedded to using CDs, you might want to consider switching to a USB type storage device (or your cell phone device). I use a Grom USB fob storage device which just plugs into the CD changer cord in my trunk, is controlled by the head unit and looks like a 6 CD changer with up to 99 tracks on each CD depending on how I set up the directory structure. I switch USB fobs when I get tired of listening to the same 594 tracks.

Mostly works just fine. Sometimes it does hang up requiring a power down - power up on the head unit.

If your really really want CDs, I have the CD changer from my trunk which worked just fine when I removed it 11 years ago. It has been wrapped up in a zip loc bag in my spares box waiting for ....... something.

If you are confident that your CDs are good, it seems like your read electronics have given up because the head unit is successfully talking to the CD player. That may or may not be repairable. If you are not wedded to using CDs, you might want to consider switching to a USB type storage device (or your cell phone device). I use a Grom USB fob storage device which just plugs into the CD changer cord in my trunk, is controlled by the head unit and looks like a 6 CD changer with up to 99 tracks on each CD depending on how I set up the directory structure. I switch USB fobs when I get tired of listening to the same 594 tracks.

Mostly works just fine. Sometimes it does hang up requiring a power down - power up on the head unit.

If your really really want CDs, I have the CD changer from my trunk which worked just fine when I removed it 11 years ago. It has been wrapped up in a zip loc bag in my spares box waiting for ....... something.
What do you want for the changer?

+1 on the GROM. I don't know if they upgraded it in later years, but the anti-skip in the 1995 CD changer was inadequate. I wired my GROM for AUX connection from my phone for the best sound, but the sound quality is so good with bluetooth, I just use that and don't even bother plugging through AUX. There's also a USB power source along with the AUX in so my phone charges in the glovebox. Pretty low bar for me though since my roof is almost aways off...
Note the GROM has a known issue where the CD track advance button is transmitted back to the bluetooth device fine, but the CD previous track command does not work. I solved this with a $20 bluetooth remote - the phone stays safely in the glovebox. But overall, the GROM to your phone is a massive improvement on the CD changer. Note that the GROM can connect at the back of the stereo head unit, behind the driver's seat, or in the trunk. I'm not sure bluetooth would work as well if it was in the trunk so that's probably only good for USB storage playing. Grom makes different USB storage player and Bluetooth player.
One other note: The Acura CD changer has a slightly different pin-out than the Alpine unit that a lot of folks bought and connected. You need a special adapter cable, otherwise the Alpine unit plugs in fine, but the neutral and right leads are reversed, resulting in normal L channel but a strange sounding right channel (of L-R), so if you think your Right speaker or amp are toast, check that first by playing the radio. Ask me why I know this...

Last edited:
What do you want for the changer?
Send me a private message in mid April if you are still interested. Right now it is freezerland where I live and my NSX is in deep storage. I would want to connect the CD changer up to the head unit to make sure everything still works (can select all 6 CDs and actually plays) after 11 years of storage. No point in sending you another dead CD changer.

If it matters, I think my CD changer might be the Alpine unit rather than the Acura labeled unit. It should have the interposing cable stuffed in its storage baggy.

Last edited:
+1 on the GROM. I don't know if they upgraded it in later years, but the anti-skip in the 1995 CD changer was inadequate. I wired my GROM for hardwired connection from my phone for the best sound, but the sound quality is so good with bluetooth, I just use that and don't even bother plugging through AUX. Pretty low bar for me though since my roof is almost aways off...
Note the GROM has a known issue where the CD track advance button is transmitted back to the bluetooth device fine, but the CD previous track command does not work. I solved this with a $20 bluetooth remote - the phone stays safely in the glovebox. But overall, the GROM to your phone is a massive improvement on the CD changer. Note that the GROM can connect at the back of the stereo head unit, behind the driver's seat, or in the trunk. I'm not sure bluetooth would work as well if it was in the trunk so that's probably only good for USB storage playing. Grom makes different USB storage player and Bluetooth player.
One other note: The Acura CD changer has a slightly different pin-out than the Alpine unit that a lot of folks bought and connected. You need a special adapter cable, otherwise the Alpine unit plugs in fine, but the neutral and right leads are reversed, resulting in normal L channel but a strange sounding right channel (of L-R), so if you think your Right speaker or amp are toast, check that first by playing the radio. Ask my why I know this...
Great info. I think I'll go the GROM route.

Send me a private message in mid April if you are still interested. Right now it is freezerland where I live and my NSX is in deep storage. I would want to connect the CD changer up to the head unit to make sure everything still works (can select all 6 CDs and actually plays) after 11 years of storage. No point in sending you another dead CD changer.

If it matters, I think my CD changer might be the Alpine unit rather than the Acura labeled unit. It should have the interposing cable stuffed in its storage baggy.
Thanks for all the info and feedback. Now that I know the issue is with the changer, I went ahead and ordered the GROM. Thanks again.

That is probably a good choice. The CD changer has a bunch of relatively delicate moving parts. CD changers really belong on a shelf in your house, not in the trunk of an NSX which is not the most hospitable place. No moving parts means the Grom will probably have a long service life - mine is still working fine after 11 years.

Back