• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cel 73, Need a little advice

Been having issue after issue with this damn car lately. Today after starting the car, the check engine light and TCS light both illuminated. Car drove fine, turned it off after I got to where I was going, turned it back on and the CEL was still on minus the TCS light. Checked the code when I got back to the house and it's CEL 73 (Random Misfire Cylinder 3 Misfire). My research has lead me to that this typically means an 02 sensor is bad. My question for you all is, how do I know which o2 sensor has failed? Or is it possible it's something else that is the problem and the 02 sensor is fine?

Been having issue after issue with this damn car lately. Today after starting the car, the check engine light and TCS light both illuminated. Car drove fine, turned it off after I got to where I was going, turned it back on and the CEL was still on minus the TCS light. Checked the code when I got back to the house and it's CEL 73 (Random Misfire Cylinder 3 Misfire). My research has lead me to that this typically means an 02 sensor is bad. My question for you all is, how do I know which o2 sensor has failed? Or is it possible it's something else that is the problem and the 02 sensor is fine?

When my 02 sensor failed I too had the TCS light and the CEL. My code was different. My code actually told me it was an O2 sensor. If your says misfire that is what is happening... you have a problem with that cylinder misfiring.

Im not a mechanic, so wait for someone with more first hand knowledge, but I am 75% sure that if code 73 says cylinder 3 misfire its not 02.

J

Swap the coil pack from cyl#3 with cyl#1, clear your codes and see if you get a code# 71. That will prove if the coil pack is bad. You may also want to pull the spark plug on the #3 cyl just to see what, if any, the deposits look like.
Good Luck!

Back