• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CEL Code 43 and 44

A_J

Experienced Member
Hi

I've swapped my engine this winter due to a HB failure.

Now with the new engine in (JDM unit with 42k km) I've got some issues with lugging with no to moderate acceleration (ECU in closed loop). When I presss the accelerator down, it hesitates a little second before it pulls away perfectly (ECU in open loop). Sometimes it comes up with CEL and code 43 and/or 44 wich is fwd/aft O2 sensor or fuel delivery system.
When the CEL light comes on, the engine also works fine, I suppose that is bacause it disregards certain signals from some sensors.

So far I've checked:
*fuel pressure (295 kPa)
*changed injectors (all within 2.2-2.3 Ohm)(used ones from my old engine)
*changed O2 sensors (used ones from my old engine)
*O2 sensor wiring

I have now ordered brand new O2 sensors.

Any other tips what to check?

Last edited:
To check if your O2 sensor is bad just disconnect it. The ECU will then run in "open loop" mode and not use them. If this clears up the engine running issues then the O2 sensor is bad, if not, then your O2 sensor is OK.

Code 43 and 44 are fuel supply error codes (front/rear respectively). Fuel filter, fuel pump and fuel pump resistor come to mind since both front and rear are being affected.
Good Luck!

Last edited:
I get one of these codes every 6 to 8 months. I too noticed that my car has what I would label as a “flat spot” in the acceleration curve. Some days I can’t feel it at all, while other days it is more pronounced. I have changed my 02 sensors and the problem would appear to go away for a while, but then it returns. I feel it less in the cooler months I might add. I have good fuel pressure, coil packs are fresh, etc. I thought about cleaning my injectors, but I wasn’t sure if that would really make a difference; apparently not. It feels more like the throttle position sensor. Like there is a bad spot along the way from closed to full throttle and the signal is not getting to the ecu properly. I even had Barnman drive it around, and of course that day it was not doing it. I want to address this because I want to go FI in the near future, and want my motor to be running at its best. Good luck and I hope you solve this issue for both of us. Ha ha <O:p></O:p>

Back