• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CEL Codes

Before posting the codes let me start at the beginning. A few years ago I started having issues of engine not running correctly after I washed the car. Did some researched at the time and remember finding a thread that explained that this was likely caused by bad seals on the coils or something. I've never fixed the issue and always put a plastic over the engine when washing it. Issues resolved so obviously water was the issue. Today brought it to get professionally cleaned and forgot to ask them to cover the engine. They didn't wash the engine bay but I'm sure water still got in there. So when I picked it up I had codes P1201, P1203, P1206 and P0300. And TCS flashing. I believe the first 3 are engine misfire codes. Not sure about the third. I assume once I dry it and clear the codes I will be fine. So my questions is 1. can someone confirm that this is likely the issue and 2. what exactly is it that needs to be changed to fix this issue once and for all.

yea just buy a code reader...plug in and you can look at all sorts of stuff...

lol oops,,,,,

You could try fabricating one of these

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?12264-failing-rear-coil-pack-solution&highlight=Coil+pack+cover[/FONT]

or contact britlude to see if he is still fabricating them.

I have never had the problem; but, I don't obsessively wash my engine. I also applied lots of silicone dielectric grease to help seal the area where the gasket at the base of the coils contacts the valve cover.

Last edited:
The old water and ignition coil gremlins...

In 20 years I've never had issue with water. I've washed my engine directly, used every kind of car wash (by hand at home - sometimes without warming up engine before or after, commercial DIY station, tunnel, gas station automatic), driven in ridiculous downpours, driven in sustained rain for hours, driven full track day where it never stopped raining, rain at 120MPH on track, etc.

Yet others have seemingly frequent issues with this and I don't want to downplay/minimize their pain/experience (plus, working in IT, I kind of despise the common "but it works for me" response).

Hard to discern what is going on, but from the following quotes I wonder if the seeming consensus of a "poor design" causing this is only half true. Like if everything is installed correctly, things are fine...but the design allows for parts to be installed incorrectly without any indication of such. And that misinstallation is not only common, but often/usually overlooked during troubleshooting because it is so non-obvious (unless explicitly looked for).

Chris @ SOS:
"There is a rubber gasket on the covers that prevent water from falling into this area. Sometimes, the covers are replaced upside down. Making sure the gasket is in place should eliminate this problem."
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...n-Rear-Coil-Bank?p=61013&viewfull=1#post61013

garyn:
"You might want to check if the cover for the coil and spark plugs is on the correct side. It should be RR for the rear and FR for the front(it's printed on the inside of the cover). Mines were reversed so the gasket was on the bottom. This let water in and it filled up inside the spark plug tube."
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...r-rain-or-wash?p=607022&viewfull=1#post607022

LarryB:
"make sure your coil covers are not on reverse. The rubber seal MUST be on the top on the intake side of the valve cover. If not water will get into the coil area."
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...vy-rain-storm!?p=805643&viewfull=1#post805643

BrianK:
"Make sure the coil covers have good gaskets and that they are installed properly."
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...rear-coils!!?p=1158639&viewfull=1#post1158639

ftuhy:
"Make sure the gasket is at the top. A common error is to install the cover upside down."
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...n-spark-plug?p=1337540&viewfull=1#post1337540

Edited to add: I just got curious about if this is easy to check. Indeed it seems to be something that can be checked in 30 seconds without removing anything. Grab some kind of rigid paper (3x5 index card, envelope, etc). Each silver cover has three humps, each about 2" wide. Slide a corner of the paper into the top of the hump (between coil cover and valve cover) - see how far it goes before stopping. Then do same at bottom edge of the hump. On mine the paper gets less than 1cm into the top before hitting something (presumably the gasket), whereas from the bottom it will slide at least 1 inch unimpeded by anything under the cover (no gasket). But if you're having issues...probably want to remove both silver coil covers - not just to check for this situation, but also to check that the gaskets are intact/sound.

Last edited:
Interesting observation on the coil covers. Like the above comment attributed to garyn, when I did my first spark plug change on my car I discovered that the coil covers had been switched front to back by whoever did the previous plug change. Despite that switch I never incurred the coil flashover / misfire problem; but, I did find a little surface rust on one of the rear cols along the exposed laminations that was easily cleaned with a scotchbright pad.

If you read the threads on the NSX Great Britain site, the problem does not seem to be just related to engine washing; but, water entering from the outside (washing the vehicle / rain) through the rear vent or perhaps where the hatch seals against the garnish. I do wash my car regularly and have never noticed any obvious signs of water spotting on the back head. I am wondering if part of the problem could be caused by incorrect reinstallation of the rear garnish following its removal for cam belt / valve clearance work?

I have never had the problem; but, I don't obsessively wash my engine. I also applied lots of silicone dielectric grease to help seal the area where the gasket at the base of the coils contacts the valve cover.
[/FONT]

I actually did this over the weekend

BrianK:
"Make sure the coil covers have good gaskets and that they are installed properly."
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...rear-coils!!?p=1158639&viewfull=1#post1158639

So if improperly installed or damaged gaskets can cause an issue. No gaskets at all is probably worst:rolleyes:. I took the covers off this weekend to add dielectric grease and didn't remember seeing gasket. Just took the front a rear covers off and no gasket on either and they were installed on the wrong side. So looks like I found the problem

Any good place to source these online?

Normally I would say Amayama; but, for some rubber bits their pricing is on the high side. I recently went to order some valve cover gasket from them and their price was much higher than North American vendors. I have found Delray (the link provided by emac) to be as good as any other North American vendor..

Back