• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Check Engine Light On

Hey guys,

Tried to search but was unsuccessful in finding any sources.

My 1998 nsx't check engine light is on. It came on 2 weeks ago and the manual said to tighten the fuel cap. I took it off retightened it and it turned off. 2 wks later, the light is back on. Car has 133k miles. all services are up to date.

any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks

Did you pull any code?

If you have one, hook up the OBDII reader and get the code. If you do not have one ... head to your local Autozone, Advanced Auto etc. and have them read it for you.

This will pin point towards what the problem is.

Check engine lights are usually emission related. I would recommend buying a new fuel cap it might be leaking.

Good luck!

Did you pull any code?

If you have one, hook up the OBDII reader and get the code. If you do not have one ... head to your local Autozone, Advanced Auto etc. and have them read it for you.

This will pin point towards what the problem is.

awesome thanks!!!

thanks guys

awesome thanks!!!

thanks guys

No problem ... BTW the ODBII connector is located under the glove box.

When you get the CODE let us know and we can look it up in the manual or if you have a service manual you can look it up.

NSXFRIEND is right ... it will be emissions related.

Let me know if you want to borrow my OBDII scanner. It will also clear your codes. I am in north Tampa. I am usually in my garage doing a car project on Saturday mornings. Jerry

Let me know if you want to borrow my OBDII scanner. It will also clear your codes. I am in north Tampa. I am usually in my garage doing a car project on Saturday mornings. Jerry

Thats very nice of you, I really appreciate the offer! We should get together sometime. Theres over 20 nsx's in or around Tampa, only problem is trying to get them to drive!

thanks everyone for the help and great advice, I'll stop by an auto parts store this afternoon and see if they can read the code off to me.

Check Engine Light: Code P0161- 02 Sensor- Heater: Bank 2 Sensor 2

suggestions, advice please??

thanks in advance!!

thanks in advance!!

Remove the O2 sensor clean it and take the dmu fuse out and see if it solves the problem of not you may need to buy new o2 sensors.

Good luck

Remove the O2 sensor clean it and take the dmu fuse out and see if it solves the problem of not you may need to buy new o2 sensors.

Good luck

NSXFRIEND,

What does the 02 heat sensor do? how/what can it effect?

where is the sensor located?

thanks in advance!!

You will need an oxygen sensor for the front bank (4,5,6) AFTER the cat. You have a 1998, so this one is actually not too hard to get to(it is actually by the muffler. You may wish to visit a local dealer, since this is an emmisions failure. Might be free to fix:).

Regards,
LarryB

NSXFRIEND,

What does the 02 heat sensor do? how/what can it effect?

where is the sensor located?

The O2 sesnor monitors what is happening within your exhaust and reports commands back to the ECU to make adjustments in the air to fuel mixture etc should ot be running to rich or lean etc. This affects many things.

I just replaced all four of my O2 sensors with Larry's help. Prior to replacing them my CEL was on and I had a horrible hesitation. up to 3000 RPM in all gears. Also I did not have great gas milage and it also caused misfire.

If your dealer does not cover this under warranty, then check out sparkplugs.com. I found that they have the best prices. You will need the Denso 234-4099 which is for Bank 2 Sensor 2 @ $58.00 + shipping. This is located on the rear exhaust bank, and it will be located after the catalytic converter as Larry said.

I replaced these myself with a 22mm wrench. If your O2's have the "guard" around the bottom, (both my post cat's did) you will need to get a 22mm O2 sensor socket if you plan to this by yourself. Most local autoparts stores have a "Loan a Tool" program you can get it from.

Good luck and I hope this imformation helps. Let us know the outcome.

awesome thanks for all your help guys!! I actually had my 02 sensors replaced in the last year so Ill try and see if they can cover it.

thanks!

Back