• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Check engine light?

My Check Engine light came on on the way to Vegas this weekend, so I stopped in Victorville at the Honda dealer. They pulled the code and it came back as P0740 which the told me is a Torque Converter system failure. The car is performing as I would expect with smooth shifts and no slipping. Has anyone had this issue with their Automatic. The service guy says that Honda recommends replacing the entire transmission. I'm hoping that the sensor is bad and not the transmission. Any advice would be appreciated...

John

The service guy says that Honda recommends replacing the entire transmission.

This is why I really dislike dealerships: this guy has no understanding.

The torque converter is a discrete component, almost completely separate from the transmission. If your torque converter is bad: replace that.

It could be a sensor, but I would replace the fluid first...it becomes less viscous over time and therefore the torque converter will slip more (and heat up).

I have not worked on the NSX transmission, but I have rebuilt other auto trans' myself in the past (they are very similar if not the same supplier). They look complicated as all heck, but repairing them is an exercise in organization and fairly simple with a manual.

Hi John Wirewizz,

have you sorted the problem??

This is why I really dislike dealerships: this guy has no understanding.

The torque converter is a discrete component, almost completely separate from the transmission. If your torque converter is bad: replace that.

It could be a sensor, but I would replace the fluid first...it becomes less viscous over time and therefore the torque converter will slip more (and heat up).

I have not worked on the NSX transmission, but I have rebuilt other auto trans' myself in the past (they are very similar if not the same supplier). They look complicated as all heck, but repairing them is an exercise in organization and fairly simple with a manual.

I have sold lots of torque converters in the past that is for sure. HOWEVER, being a newly minted Honda Odyssey owner I did a lot of research before buying and did find out something.
At least with the Odyssey, and maybe other Honda products, they(dealerships) don't go into the trans but just replace the entire unit. This is coming from many owners but one in particular I know of had an extended warranty and the trans was replaced 3xs before 100k before he finally got tired of dealing with it and traded out.
SO, don't discount the man at the dealership just for saying that because it might be the way Honda recommends to do it.
I'm sure others can comment with more concrete info as I'm only relying info provided to me by other Odyssey owners.

Back