• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Children in front seat in an NSX without passenger airbag?

I've searched but didn't find anything conclusive regarding NSXes without airbags. Also, the threads were outdated as there were recent changes to child/booster seat laws.

So, is it safe to drive a 5 year old (~35 lbs) in the front seat of an NSX that has no passenger side airbag? Are the safety concerns usually dealing with the airbag, or the child being in the front seat?

Thanks

I've been trying to find out the same thing, although with an infant in a car seat. My theroy is that if you can do it in a single cab truck, why not in an nsx? Although my theroy may be illegal. Any law enforcers wanna chime in?

From my understanding, it's the airbag that's dangerous for young children. I've researched this as well but I didn't find anything that's black and white saying one way or another. There were even threads on Prime about this and someone actually recommended a specific carseat that fit the NSX well. The Recaro Vivo High Back Booster Car Seat.

All Recaro car seats are illegal in Canada.

I put either my 3 year old son in a booster seat in my NSX and a forward facing carseat for my 1 year old in my NSX. the one I drive daily is a 92 so no airbag.

now I have seen some guys have a switch/key system mounted on the dash to disable the second airbag I think it will pass DMV inspection but dont quote me.

when my kids are in the car I drive like a 99 year old women.

but if some bikers tried to surround me I will flip the switch from 99 year old women to 18 year old Ayrton Senna driving mode.

maybe some of our law enforcment guys can chime in.

Did u remove the passenger side airbag?

I have a 91, so no passenger airbag.

- - - Updated - - -

I put either my 3 year old son in a booster seat in my NSX and a forward facing carseat for my 1 year old in my NSX. the one I drive daily is a 92 so no airbag.

now I have seen some guys have a switch/key system mounted on the dash to disable the second airbag I think it will pass DMV inspection but dont quote me.

when my kids are in the car I drive like a 99 year old women.

but if some bikers tried to surround me I will flip the switch from 99 year old women to 18 year old Ayrton Senna driving mode.

maybe some of our law enforcment guys can chime in.

LOL, I wouldn't mind the bikers surrounding me because I drive super slow anyway and I'll probably annoy them, but if they tried to brake-check me... IT'S ON!

My daughter is in a booster seat now and she has never ridden in my car (other than moving/rearranging it). She always asks me how come she can't drive in it, but I might just drive her now.

I know from Honda's stand point based on my training it is an issue of how much physical weight is on the passenger seat. This is why all the new cars have passenger seat weight sensors and air bag cut off indicators. If there is not enough weight on the passenger seat the passenger air bag will not deploy.

I know from Honda's stand point based on my training it is an issue of how much physical weight is on the passenger seat. This is why all the new cars have passenger seat weight sensors and air bag cut off indicators. If there is not enough weight on the passenger seat the passenger air bag will not deploy.

So if there is no airbag like my vehicle, I should be okay so long as the child is restrained property in a seat belt with booster?

I remember watching TV in the mid 90's and seeing adds telling us to always put childeren in the back seat, but if there is no back seat where are they supposed to go. FYI law enforcement are not always up to date with motor vehicle laws in regards to issues such as this, they can change with out them knowing. Even though you might have checked to make sure it is legal and safe they might still write you a ticket due to lack of knowledge. I would recommend printing off a piece of paper from either a gov't website or highway traffic agency or whom ever determines traffic laws and keep it in your glove box. I do this for my NSX because my exhaust is kinda loud and I have had police officers try and write me tickets but I pull out the paper and say here you go these are the test parameter and it passes all the time. In canada I just go to transport Canada's website and all the info is there.

In WA, the law requires rear seat when practical. Obviously in this case it is not, and my 1 y/o son rides with me all the time. My lieutenant thinks it's hilarious when I show up to work with the car seat. Check your local laws and print out a copy if you're afraid of a ticket, but I would be surprised if there was a law saying noffront seat ever. Just because I would imagine courts would find it discriminating against poor people with a pickup truck.

A proper child seat needs a tether / latch system...... which does not exist in an nsx ,thus we don't put young children in the car. We do allow our 8 yo because he is tall enough to have the shoulder strap fit properly.

there is a tether hook behind the passenger seat, you remove the cover behind the seat and there is a spot to install it. the tether strap will fit between the headrest and seat.
you can buy it from Acura for about $25 (at least here in Vancouver).
i have had it my car for approx 5 years now.

there are no seat anchors for the side latches.

Most, if not all, carseats can be installed with a seat belt and top tether. The LATCH system is not a requirement. My Recaro car seats all have belt installation instructions. The car manual also has instructions for car seat installation. I have a DMV approved switch to disable the passenger side airbag.

thats fine...I'm just telling the group what I and my wife have decided to do with our children.

Without an airbag riding up front is legal and safe; and depending on age and weight would require a car seat or booster seat. A child is almost always safest in a rear facing car seat in the middle of the rear seat. That being said riding up front in a child seat is safe. Not having the latch system makes putting in the car seat more of a hassle, and my 92 needs a belt clip but it is all good.

Here's an excerpt from the CHP's (CALIFORNIA) website regarding child seats:

California Law (Effective 01/01/2012):
- Children under the age of 8 must be secured in a car seat or booster seat in the back seat.
- Children under the age of 8 who are 4' 9" or taller may be secured by a safety belt in the back seat.
- Children who are 8 years and over shall be properly secured in an appropriate child passenger restraint system or safety belt.
- Passengers who are 16 years of age and over are subject to California's Mandatory Seat Belt law.
- Buckling up is the single most effective thing you can do to protect yourself in a crash. Also, seat belts are the best defense against impaired, aggressive, and distracted drivers.

Source: http://www.chp.ca.gov/community/safeseat.html

And here are the exemptions:

Are there exemptions?
- Yes, there are a few. Your child may ride in the front seat if:
- Your vehicle has no rear seats.
- Rear seats are side-facing jump seats.
- Child safety restraints must never be placed on side-facing vehicle seats.
- The child restraint system cannot be properly installed in the rear seat.
For example, your vehicle has lap belts only in the back seat, but there are lap and shoulder belts in the front seat. Your child is 5 and weighs 45 pounds and must ride in a booster seat. The booster seat must be used with a lap and shoulder belt; therefore your child may ride in the front seat.
- Children under age 12 occupy all rear seats.
- Medical reason (written by the pediatrician) requires that child not be restrained in the back seat. All children are safer in the back seat, ask another adult to ride with the child in the back.

Source: http://www.chp.ca.gov/community/child_safetyseat_faqs.html

Sounds like I'll occasionally drop my daughter off at school every once in a while with my NSX :)

Last edited:
Back