• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Chip Question

How can I figure out if I have a computer chip upgrade on my car? I was thinking of putting the RM Nos kit but was told I needed the stock ecu timing settings?

The ECU is behind the passenger seat. Open the box up and check the solder connections on the chip to see if it looks like it's been removed and replaced (re-soldered).

Also, what many people do when replacing the chip is to solder in a socket that the chip plugs into, so that the chip can be swapped in the future. If you see that kind of socket there, OR if the chip has been re-soldered, then it may have been upgraded. If it looks like it was originally soldered in at the factory, then it's probably stock.

Yes, definitely make sure you have a stock chip before doing NOS. If not, you will need to get one. Even with the stock chip, timing needs to be retarded a bit for NOS. The aftermarket chips will vary the timing as you drive and can drive it up very high which could damage your engine if running NOS.

In regards to using a performance chip with NOS. Randy (RM Racing) has run his NSX with a performance chip and NOS for years without any problems. Brent Cobb also uses a chip with his NOS and I have used both a Dali and currently an RM Racing chip with no problem.

You can always dyno the car and see what the numbers are. When I bought my NSX I knew that it had an aftermarket exhuast, but when the Florida NSX Club did a dyno day, my NSX put out some very strong numbers that only a chip could have contributed too.

Since us OBD2 NSX'ers aren't able to chip.. Anyone have any thoughts/info on if we really need to?

Ie, I've heard that the 97+ NSX has a more advanced knock sensor setup. Are there changes on the 97+ such that having a chip for a forced induction application isn't perhaps as needed as for a Pre-OBD2 car?

Right now I have a timing retard controller on my 97, and in dialing in some retard so far I've noticed no improvement compared to running without the retard. I'm therefore wondering if it's much of an issue.

I have a twin turbo setup & can get up to the 6.5psi range so one would think I'd be a candidate for potentially needing some retard...

Thanks,
Marc
P.S. - Maybe I should have posted this as its own thread..

That's strange, I was told not to use an aftermarket chip with NOS because of timing. Is it possible they use a chip, but further modified it for the NOS?

You can always dyno the car and see what the numbers are. When I bought my NSX I knew that it had an aftermarket exhuast, but when the Florida NSX Club did a dyno day, my NSX put out some very strong numbers that only a chip could have contributed too.

Not necessarily. According to dyno results from California, there is more variation from one NSX to another than the differences attributable to chips. (In fact, some chips actually contributed to a DECREASE in peak power.) It's quite possible you simply have a stronger NSX, for whatever reason, with a stock chip.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:

...It's quite possible you simply have a stronger NSX, for whatever reason, with a stock chip.

My '94 dynoed 271hp at the rear wheels so I think that I have more than just a stronger NSX. PLus the air/fuel mixture was better than the known stock NSX's that day.

Originally posted by ilya:
That's strange, I was told not to use an aftermarket chip with NOS because of timing. Is it possible they use a chip, but further modified it for the NOS?

does anyone know the correct answer to using the nos and aftermarket chip together? i have the dali chip and the 70hp rm nos, but after reading ilya's posts i'm concerned of possible risks. i'd much rather go without the chip if there is potential damage using both. i realize that others have done this for years, but the question of additional mods to compensate was never answered. a valid point that ilya has posed. thank you.

------------------
Xane Ze

[This message has been edited by xane ze (edited 23 December 2001).]

does anyone know the correct answer to using the nos and aftermarket chip together? i have the dali chip and the 70hp rm nos, but after reading ilya's posts i'm concerned of possible risks. i'd much rather go without the chip if there is potential damage using both. i realize that others have done this for years, but the question of additional mods to compensate was never answered. a valid point that ilya has posed. thank you.

------------------
Xane Ze

[This message has been edited by xane ze (edited 23 December 2001).]

If anyone wants exchange aftermarket chip with my stock chip, send me an email!
biggrin.gif

Cross-posting or linking the topics on both forums is not necessarily going to get you any more answers! Maybe you need to accept that there is no hard and fast answer to your question?

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

Originally posted by lemansnsx:
Cross-posting or linking the topics on both forums is not necessarily going to get you any more answers! Maybe you need to accept that there is no hard and fast answer to your question?

maybe it will, maybe it won't, but i'm willing to try. i have no problem accepting that you don't know the answer. as far as hard and fast, ilya asked the question back in july, 5 months ago. i figure that gives ample time for someone to explain a little bit more to those of us who are still learning. i apologize if you've been offended by my ignorance.

------------------
Xane Ze

Back