• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

City Sticker violation?

I live in Ravenswood, and just got a fine in the mail- $120 for "No City Sticker"

the ticket lists an address I have never been parked at, and a date which was one of the few times my car has been out of the garage this Spring.

Admittedly, I don't have a city sticker- I thought the city sticker was for on street parking, and my car is garage kept. I only take it out when I am leaving town (public transport is ALWAYS better than trying to find, and then pay for a parking spot).

I think they nabbed me as I drove by on my return trip from Pennsylvania.

Anyone know if that is a practice here in the city?

Philip

Required period in Chicago or the surrounding suburbs. Think about it as a city license plate.

Wow this is interesting, so say if I was a tourist (clearly i wont have this city sticker) driving through and I park to go eat...window shop...or other touristy things I'd get a ticket?

If you have IL plates and the car is registered in Chicago even if you lived in Michigan, Yes. If you have IL plates and the registered address is Hinsdale (suburb), no but you can expect a ticket from the Hinsdale police. Use to be when I lived there that if you had no sticker and the registered address was Chicago and you parked, you ended up with a boot. Now that S-cked.

Exactly but this is a city thing, not the state. State doesn't really care. You have to go to the currency exchanges for the sticker or downtown.

Interesting that they didn't just charge, and then issue it to me when I got my plates...

But then that would make sense...

Philip

FYI, the city is allowed to enter parking garages and issue tickets if you dont have a city sticker... only if your car is registered in that city of course. Chicago has to have the worst ticket laws! Meters are the worst of them all! Many of these meters do not work and whoever writes the ticket usually never double checks the meter in case its malfunctioning. 2nd worst is the street cleaning tickets. Many streets do not have signs that mention their street cleaning schedule.... Then once you get your ticket and you try to fight it, they require you to show up in person etc.... Time is money as we all know, so who do you think will win???? Yup the city! I just wish that someone would go to the Governors house and witness the State Police sleeping while on post usually around 1-3am..... Sunnyside/richmondOOOpppss I didnt say that:)

Last edited:
The city sticker is a city license. It is based on where the car is registered, not where the car is parked. If you own a car registered to an address in the city of Chicago, you are required to purchase a city sticker. The city receives registration information from the Illinois Secretary of State (our DMV) and uses it to verify that the city sticker has been purchased; if not, they send violation notices in the mail. You can buy a city sticker on the Chicago City Clerk's website.

The city sticker is a city license. It is based on where the car is registered, not where the car is parked. If you own a car registered to an address in the city of Chicago, you are required to purchase a city sticker. The city receives registration information from the Illinois Secretary of State (our DMV) and uses it to verify that the city sticker has been purchased; if not, they send violation notices in the mail. You can buy a city sticker on the Chicago City Clerk's website.

THANKS KEN!

I traded the Accord on a new TL, and used your link to order my sticker. It is frustrating, but I guess you just can't fight the man...

Philip

Agree with the above....

Not having a sticker does not equate to automatic penalty, but if parked on city streets, or in public garages, they CAN issue you a ticket.

FYI - my 2 DDs have stickers; my 2 non-DDs (including the NSX) do not. Have received 1 "no sticker" violation in 15 years.

Not having a sticker does not equate to automatic penalty, but if parked on city streets, or in public garages, they CAN issue you a ticket.
I have previously been issued a citation in the mail (by another municipality, not Chicago) for not purchasing a city sticker, while parked in a private garage. Perhaps Chicago is not as vigilant about cross-checking its records with those of the Secretary of State (our DMV).

Back