• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clean 97 NSX at $33,500

My friend who works at a reputable auction place has just informed me that an immaculate 97 NSX red/blk w/ 33k miles has just been sold for $33,500.

How could this be sold so cheap?? I was thinking that $45k would've been a steal.

Wow.. that is CHEAP. I know they sell them for quite a bit less at auction, but wow! He is hoping that I can get a clean 94 for 26K at auction. That doesnt sound that unrealitic anymore!

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

I can't speak for this particular case, but every now and then a real steal comes along. You just have to keep your eyes open, be at the right place at the right time, and jump on it.
That's how I picked up a 4.55 for 1K, sway bars for $100, Eibachs for $150, etc...

My friend's father works in the business buying cars at acution and selling them. My friend hasn't payed over 1/3 market price for a car yet, currently driving an excellent condition Lexus SC400 which cost him no more than 8K. He just picked up a 5 year old SL500 for 18K, but gave it back after he didn't like the car at all.

Originally posted by ilya:
I can't speak for this particular case, but every now and then a real steal comes along.

I know of a big one that happened recently...
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Originally posted by ilya:

My friend's father works in the business buying cars at acution and selling them. My friend hasn't payed over 1/3 market price for a car yet

ilya,

Want to help hook me up with an NSX
smile.gif

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

Originally posted by Tiger740:
My friend who works at a reputable auction place has just informed me that an immaculate 97 NSX red/blk w/ 33k miles has just been sold for $33,500.
that beats the prior record... I heard of a blue/black 97 with minor panel scratches that went for about $40K in the NW

Originally posted by cojones:
I heard of a blue/black 97 with minor panel scratches that went for about $40K in the NW

Manuel, are you referring to the one that was mentioned here? I believe it actually went for $49K...

Anyone know of any of these types of high-end auction houses dealing with vehicles in excellent condition anywhere around Houston, TX?

I see all sorts of government auctions and random things advertised on TV, but don't know if these are the ones... Thanks!

I do not believe that there are deals such as the one spoken of here in any auction but a salvage one. Tiger740, I'd like to know what reputable auction house is selling the $33,500 '97 NSX's. It is just impossible for a clean titled, clean vehicle.

p.s. you are talking about auto auctions, right? Not like an estate sale or something to that effect?

[This message has been edited by ck (edited 25 April 2002).]

[This message has been edited by ck (edited 25 April 2002).]

I don't know exactly what the name of the auction was.

It was held in Dallas, TX, and the car was from Honda Financial Service.
I had detailed information on the car including carfax. The car showed a clean title, but who knows whether it was in an accident. However, my auctioneer told me that the car looked very clean, and I trusted him very much.

I was originally going to ask any of you if you could take a look at this car before the auction, but you could only inspect the car thoroughly the day before or at the auction site. So I didn't even bother.

I told him that I will be interested next time. If anyone is interested, please let me know. I beleive that he charges $400 fee or something.

Todd,
You stole that car!

American Honda has not sold any 97 NSX at any auction since the one that I purchased almost a year ago and is now being driven by someone on this list, and it's not me, might I add!
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by ck (edited 26 April 2002).]

ilya, i wouldn't mind if your friend helped me get an nsx for about 1/3 of value. or even 2/3 of value. i know how to return a favor. have someone on your back or just someone you don't like? i'll take care of it.
nsxrebel
usmc

I am calling B.S. I have had three NSX's, plus have been involved in 5-10 other sales to friends, dealers, etc. There is no way that a factory sponsored auction traded that 97 at that level..Sometimes you can sneek up on one in the paper, Auto Trader, etc.. But at a factory sale, there are too many people around that know what time it is.

If I could pick up clean cars consistently at 1/3 of market value, I would be in a much better position financially according to "The Millionaire Next Door".
tongue.gif
With a $33,500 1997 NSX, a dealer stands to make $20+k in profit on the sale alone. I'd only have to sell one every other month and still be in the upper income levels! Think about if you could sell more often than that.

Originally posted by frisbee54:
Theres a clean 98 t with 58k miles for $46500 if the car is a very clean example what do you think of that car at htat price?Doug

Yeah, I saw that one advertised, too. I think that's a good price. I almost called him myself. If it is fairly clean and doesn't have major damage history, that's a pretty low price for a 98.

Originally posted by mtgabsguy:
58k miles on a 98...they never turned it off.....my 94 only has 37k....you get what you pay for.

I bought a '95 with 52k, and now I am at 73k in only 18 months. Mileage makes no difference if taken care of. I had never thought about trading my car until the s/c car at Prestige imports for only $64k. There has to be some history to that one.

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan

You guys make me feel a bit better.
When I was told that the car was sold for low $30k's, I almost wanted to cry, and felt as if I missed the best deal in the world.
Now I am curious whether my friend told me such a thing to stay in business with him in the future, or it really is true.

Would any of you like to have his contact email address to verify?

I'll let you guys know of a real "once in a lifetime" deal that I missed a couple of months ago. I was kicking myself for weeks because I actually let the guy who bought the car know that it was at the auction.
mad.gif
I didn't know, but the car was listed for sale through an online dealer's auction site before the actual "live" sale. Chase Manhattan Bank had listed a 1996 Porsche 993 incorrectly as a Carrera 2 instead of a Turbo and had the "buy it now" price set at $36k! For those who don't know a 993 Turbo will easily fetch 80-90+k retail. The guy clicked "buy" online and ran to the auction as fast as he could to pay for it and get the car out of the gates. When Chase found out, it was too late, but they tried to get it back by threatening to not let him use the auction system anymore. He just said that he already had sold it to a retail buyer and it's too late, sorry. This was not some deal that I heard of through an acquantaince of a friend's friend, I watched it all the way threw and even talked about it with the representative from Chase. Might I also add, that I saw the vehicle in person and it was perfect. How's that one sound, Todd?!

Back