• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clicking noise from driver's side rear

Hi all,

I'm new here. I ordered my new 2019 NSX in August 2019 and took delivery in November 2019. I love the car and only wish that I had time to drive it more often. I've put about 1100 miles on it so far. I do have a question about a noise that I'm hearing from the driver's side rear. The noise is a clicking type noise that occurs randomly while coasting/braking to a stop. The noise just started happening over the past 100 miles or so. I will hear the noise 2-3 times total while coasting/braking from maybe about 15-20mph. With the window up, the noise actually sounds like it's coming from the driver's door area, but with the window down, I can hear the sound coming from the driver's rear tire area. It's definitely not a rock in the tire since the sound is random (doesn't occur on every revolution of the tire) and since I checked the entire tire for stuck rocks.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm new here. I ordered my new 2019 NSX in August 2019 and took delivery in November 2019. I love the car and only wish that I had time to drive it more often. I've put about 1100 miles on it so far. I do have a question about a noise that I'm hearing from the driver's side rear. The noise is a clicking type noise that occurs randomly while coasting/braking to a stop. The noise just started happening over the past 100 miles or so. I will hear the noise 2-3 times total while coasting/braking from maybe about 15-20mph. With the window up, the noise actually sounds like it's coming from the driver's door area, but with the window down, I can hear the sound coming from the driver's rear tire area. It's definitely not a rock in the tire since the sound is random (doesn't occur on every revolution of the tire) and since I checked the entire tire for stuck rocks.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!

sir i think your best bet would be to take it to the dealer and let them trouble shoot the nsx for a week.you say your nsx is brand new.

Funny you mentioned the noise. I just noticed today as I was driving with the window down and coming along our bad roads going relatively slowly. I could hear a tick tick noise that seemed to come from the wheels. I checked and nothing was caught in the tread. I thought it might be associated with the brakes (Ceramic) but that does not make sense. I wonder if it is a wheel sensor of sorts. I noticed it backing up as well as going forward. Applying the brakes does not make the sound go away that I can tell. Reminds me of when I was a kid and put a playing card on the frame of my bike and held it there with a clothes pin (remember those?) and it would make a noise putt putt.... as it rapped against the spokes on the wheel. We are talking very sophisticated here!

Last edited:
I don’t believe that the ceramic brakes have shields? I jacked up the car and rotated the fron wheels. No discernible click. So I am thinking the rear. Jacking up the rear doesn’t help as the wheel will not turn freely. If you rock the rear wheel you can hear and feel a bit of play and it does sound mor like the click I was hearing. Not sure. I could take it in to the dealer. Or at least give them a call.

No stuck rocks for me, so I'm not sure what's making the clicking noise. I'm wondering if it's suspension related or maybe some type of actuator on the driver's side rear. I only hear about 4-5 clicks total when coasting/braking from 45mph or so to a complete stop. I do hear the noise also sometime when taking off from a stop. It's very odd.

Last edited:
2017 click noise from back passenger side wheel

Anyone ever figure this out? The dealer has replaced many parts for free, including the rear axle! It goes away when I take it home but comes back the next drive or two. The NSX engineers actually told the dealer to stop replacing parts and are stumped. This is wild. For my car, (about 12K miles now, all the options including ceramic brakes) it very noticeable if you drive by a fence or a wall or something that echoes the sound back at you through an open window. No one has any clues. It showed up first time in 2019.

They've been awesome though (dealer). Just, have to live with it at this point?

No stuck rocks for me, so I'm not sure what's making the clicking noise. I'm wondering if it's suspension related or maybe some type of actuator on the driver's side rear. I only hear about 4-5 clicks total when coasting/braking from 45mph or so to a complete stop. I do hear the noise also sometime when taking off from a stop. It's very odd.

Just as an update. The noise seems to have stopped. I have read other posts that suggest rust around the hub interface is the reason why. I never had any rust issues. I do have SOS spacers on the front and back and at one point wondered if they were moving enough during the tire rotation to give out that noise. So to date I have not figured out what the clicking noise is or where it was coming from other than it seemed to be associated with the rotation of the wheels and was most evident while driving in EV mode. For what it is worth....

From another forum - could it be "...issue due to aluminum oxide corrosion on the rotor hats and wheel flanges. Removing/polishing the corrosion off and applying corrosion preventative grease seemed to solve the problem." "[FONT=&quot]lubed up the surface between the hubs and wheels with some anti-seize and that stopped it."

[/FONT]

Last edited:
Well..... My car was doing the same tick tick tick thing, at low speed. When my car was in for squeek repairs, I told the tech about it.... It drove him nuts. Somehow he ended up taking off the wheel center caps, then drove it and the ticking went away.
No idea how or why it would cause the ticking. He left the center caps off, and I have yet to put them back in the wheels, but there has been no ticking.... I do not know if this is really the issue or not. I cannot explain why or what causes the ticking if it is the caps, but that's what I was told. And I trust the tech. Career Acura mechanic and NSX school certified.

You are welcome to try taking the wheel caps off, but the problem is you have to take the wheel off and carefully tap them out from the inside..... Sounds crazy, but that's my story. Mine is a 17' with 5300 miles.....

Perhaps related to battery regen braking? I've owned a CRZ and it made strange clicking noises in the rear also, usually after sitting for a bit. Haha. Not sure if it's related but figured I'd mention it.

Yep! I went back and removed the driver rear wheel and verified everything was clean and tight. I decided to try the center cap theory and sure enough the clicking stopped. I checked the center cap for damage but could not see anything. I did note that the wire that circles the inside of the tabs was not on exactly right but do not think this resulted in the clicking. I reinstalled the center cap with some Teflon tape on the outside of the tabs. No more clicking. I went around to each wheel and tapped the center cap with a rubber mallet to insure they were snug. So who knows the why. Did the Teflon tape help? Or fully seating the center caps? The good news is that there is no more clicking noise from the rear tire during rolling in EV mode.

Lol...that is a wonderful thing... a rubber mallet fixes it...its like the 60's all over again...:biggrin:

Yep! I went back and removed the driver rear wheel and verified everything was clean and tight. I decided to try the center cap theory and sure enough the clicking stopped. I checked the center cap for damage but could not see anything. I did note that the wire that circles the inside of the tabs was not on exactly right but do not think this resulted in the clicking. I reinstalled the center cap with some Teflon tape on the outside of the tabs. No more clicking. I went around to each wheel and tapped the center cap with a rubber mallet to insure they were snug. So who knows the why. Did the Teflon tape help? Or fully seating the center caps? The good news is that there is no more clicking noise from the rear tire during rolling in EV mode.
Hi, I have a 2019 with exactly the same clicking noise. I thought it was coming from the front driver wheel / tire with rock but you may be correct with the loose center cap. The problem is I noticed three of the four wheels have a loose or cap that is not seated snug. There is wiggle room in each of the three and a mallet does not work. I haven’t taken the car to the dealer yet but knowing the cap is likely the problem gives me a bit of peace - I had assumed it was some sort of ABS or strut issue. Any update on Teflon fix?
Thanks

Thanks. I have the dealer contacting Acura to see if they know of the problem and solution. The noise if truly caused by the center cap is a bit annoying but knowing that it doesn’t affect form or function is peace of mind.

I can’t recall where I saw it but Chris from SOS indicated that using spacers seemed to exasperate the issue. By the way, my car has SOS spacers

I can’t recall where I saw it but Chris from SOS indicated that using spacers seemed to exasperate the issue. By the way, my car has SOS spacers
I had issue last year after I installed the sos spacers, it was ticking sound like when you have rock stuck in tire.. Chris at sos was quick to get back to me and said sometimes the spacers work like an old fashioned bell where you hit top to ding, the spacers create the space for sound to reverberate, the work around was to install blue painters tape inside the hub where the spacer fits over to act like a cloth inside a bell to dull sound , dealer did for me and cut with exact knife so not really noticeable and sound is gone.. hope it helps

I had a bad clicking noise on my rear driver, it turned out to be debris building up under or around the two-piece rotor bobbins. It took the tech a few tries to find it and get it taken care of. But so far so good. I believe there is a couple of service bulletins about it.

Well..... My car was doing the same tick tick tick thing, at low speed. When my car was in for squeek repairs, I told the tech about it.... It drove him nuts. Somehow he ended up taking off the wheel center caps, then drove it and the ticking went away.
No idea how or why it would cause the ticking. He left the center caps off, and I have yet to put them back in the wheels, but there has been no ticking.... I do not know if this is really the issue or not. I cannot explain why or what causes the ticking if it is the caps, but that's what I was told. And I trust the tech. Career Acura mechanic and NSX school certified.

You are welcome to try taking the wheel caps off, but the problem is you have to take the wheel off and carefully tap them out from the inside..... Sounds crazy, but that's my story. Mine is a 17' with 5300 miles.....

2017 with 5100 miles and mine does the same. Clicking noise at slow speeds in my driveway, street and parking lots. Can't hear it at speed for the motor, wind noise etc. Only happens going FWD not in REV.

Car sat for a long time before I got it in 2021. Had less than 500 miles on it at purchase.

Dealer Mechanic - whom i love - has always thought it was the Hubs and even went as far as to get potential approval from Acura USA to swap them. The next time I brought it in, OF COURSE, said approval was not there. So I have been living with it.

Will try the Center Caps fix.

Is the solution to just leave them off ?
Or
Do we replace them with new ones?

Car
car wash.jpg
photo attached

Ticking was definitely the center caps. Just weird.... but after removing and replacing, never ticked again. It's been several years now and I can't recall if any never seize was used or not. It definitely had me thinking there was some major problem. Good luck.

Read earlier posts in this tread and you will see that there are several possible reasons for the ticking noise. SOS said that using spacers amps the noise. I have SOS spacers on my car. I pulled the wheels and applied some Teflon tape around the caps and put them back on the wheels. Never had the clicking come back. You could pull the wheels take the caps off and drive the car without the caps. If no clicking then problem isolated. If still present then explore more.

Back