• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clicking or creaking noise from drive train solved

I have noticed ever since I have had this car that especially in EV mode I can hear a click or creak with what appears to be a revolution of the wheel. I was able to eliminate the noise from the front wheel. It is definitely from the rear. I have posted in the past and heard that it was rust where the wheel fits onto the hub. In my particular case I could not see any rust. I do have spacers from SOS. The 20mm are on the rears and the 12.5mm spacers are on the fronts. After reading many different posts on both the Facebook Second Generation as well as on here at NSXPrime, I was getting somewhat discouraged. I do recall one owner indicated that the NSX Tech removed the center cap and the noise ceased.

Well I removed the rear wheel to see if I could see any rust. None. I was going to remove the spacer but the screws were super tight. I don't believe the spacer is moving at all. Bottom line I removed the Center Cap and put the wheel back on and drove the car. The clicking/creaking noise is no longer there. So apparently when the wheel rotates there is enough pressure on the center cap to cause it to move and make the clicking noise. Not sure how to resolve this. I could add some lubricant to the sides and put it back in to see if that helps. The center cap has spring metal to keep the tabs secure. I may just go to the dealer and ask for a new one. Thought I would post here.

I was looking at the center cap to see if it was damaged. I could not find anything noteworthy. I did see that the Acura insignia was not pushed in on one of the two tabs. Perhaps when I popped it out with the wooden handle of a hammer caused it to partially raise. The metal ring that insures even pressure on the 6 or so tabs was not entirely in its channel. Again, I could have Jared it when I popped it out. I went ahead and put some Teflon tape around the outside of the tabs. I pounded it into the wheel with a rubber mallet. It was a tight fit. I went around the car and tapped the other three. I will test the car tomorrow and report out.

I was looking at the center cap to see if it was damaged. I could not find anything noteworthy. I did see that the Acura insignia was not pushed in on one of the two tabs. Perhaps when I popped it out with the wooden handle of a hammer caused it to partially raise. The metal ring that insures even pressure on the 6 or so tabs was not entirely in its channel. Again, I could have Jared it when I popped it out. I went ahead and put some Teflon tape around the outside of the tabs. I pounded it into the wheel with a rubber mallet. It was a tight fit. I went around the car and tapped the other three. I will test the car tomorrow and report out.

This was the same conclusion that my NSX mechanic came to. We couldn't figure out why. I was going to put some antiseize on them , but got lazy and didn't. I now have one ticking on a different wheel now..... It must be some tolerance issue, and perhaps the wheel center moves enough to cause the center cap to tweak very minutely?

Drove the car today and came up with an entirely new noise.... Upon acceleration i hear a crescendo of what sounds like sand being thrown into the wheel well?? Really weird. When I back off the throttle, it subsides. Almost sort of like the waste gate sound but on the different side ( I think). It didn't dawn on me until now that it might have something to do with the blow off valve??

Anyway, I looked under the rear quarter panel, and noticed gravel stuck in the seam between the diffuser panel and the black piece next to the body panel. I tapped on the panel, and it sounded like maybe the inside of that panel was filled with gravel? I have more investigating to do. There is an open metal honeycomb panel right there and it's possible, I suppose, that maybe air currents could cause sand/gravel bits to be deposited back in there..... Strange.

Last edited:
i have seen plenty of examples of tire pickup deposited in nooks and crannies.The centercap issue is more unique.I have never heard(pun intended) of clicking caps. I could imagine in ev mode you might hear things that are obscured in most cars by exhaust noise.On the other hand it would be troubling to think there is minute deformation of the wheel centerbore.

Well I went out for a ride and no clicking sound. So it would appear that it was the center cap. Don’t know if the Teflon tape helped. I did not place any where it seats against the hub. It may not actually touch which would make sense. Not sure if the spacers contribute to the noise. As noted when you think about it there is some change in dimension as the wheel rotates. Noises emanating from mechanical things can be a real pain in the butt. I am happy it is not a more serious issue that would require replacing hardware on the car.

My only exciting center cap story is on my first track event with my SSR wheels that had pretty big cup like centercaps press-fit.After a few laps I see one bouncing into a tire barrier behind me....the heat from brakes superheated the air in the pocket and booiiing...:eek:

Back