• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch Cost

Shameless advertising on my part, but I have an OEM clutch new in box if you elect to go that route.

No idea how many hours of labor are called for the job.

Your question is too wide open. You need to specify your model year. You also need to specify whether you want to go with OEM parts or are prepared to go with something like an aftermarket clutch such as one of the SOS clutches. Finally, if you have a later dual mass flywheel single plate clutch, are you going to replace just the friction disk, replace the friction disk and the flywheel or switch to a more conventional clutch and flywheel.

An SOS 275 clutch & flywheel is approximately $1700.

ScienceofSpeed Sport 275 Clutch & Flywheel (includes bearings) - NSX, 1991-05 - Clutch & Flywheel - Drivetrain Products - NSX, 1991-05

If you have a the later dual mass flywheel, an OEM friction disk and OEM pressure plate can be had for around $800 from discounters. Add in a new flywheel and you are north of $3000.

Labor costs for all options will be similar; but, vary from nothing if you do it to quite high if dealer mechanics do it. You can search Prime to find historic clutch labor costs; but, they may no longer be relevant.

Thanks for the info. Yes... very general (too general). I have a 92. I think I want to go with a single more "standard" clutch setup.

Your question is too wide open. You need to specify your model year. You also need to specify whether you want to go with OEM parts or are prepared to go with something like an aftermarket clutch such as one of the SOS clutches. Finally, if you have a later dual mass flywheel single plate clutch, are you going to replace just the friction disk, replace the friction disk and the flywheel or switch to a more conventional clutch and flywheel.

An SOS 275 clutch & flywheel is approximately $1700.

ScienceofSpeed Sport 275 Clutch & Flywheel (includes bearings) - NSX, 1991-05 - Clutch & Flywheel - Drivetrain Products - NSX, 1991-05

If you have a the later dual mass flywheel, an OEM friction disk and OEM pressure plate can be had for around $800 from discounters. Add in a new flywheel and you are north of $3000.

Labor costs for all options will be similar; but, vary from nothing if you do it to quite high if dealer mechanics do it. You can search Prime to find historic clutch labor costs; but, they may no longer be relevant.

If the current clutch "grabbed" just fine you should consider just changing out the friction discs and the throwout bearing. I do this every other clutch job without much analysis.

Your stock clutch can also be rebuilt. The entire clutch fits in a USPS Large Flat Rate box so it is very economical to ship within the States. I've used Fort Wayne Clutch in the past and apparently they can rebuild a DMF as well.

Personally: I can change out an NSX clutch in six hours in a home garage with a transmission floor jack. I've decided in my old age that as long as the clutch worked just fine, started slipping a little bit, and no cracking: just slap in new discs and a throwout bearing.

If the current clutch "grabbed" just fine you should consider just changing out the friction discs and the throwout bearing. I do this every other clutch job without much analysis.

Your stock clutch can also be rebuilt. The entire clutch fits in a USPS Large Flat Rate box so it is very economical to ship within the States. I've used Fort Wayne Clutch in the past and apparently they can rebuild a DMF as well.

Personally: I can change out an NSX clutch in six hours in a home garage with a transmission floor jack. I've decided in my old age that as long as the clutch worked just fine, started slipping a little bit, and no cracking: just slap in new discs and a throwout bearing.

I would plan for 8-10 hours of labor, unless one is well versed in the NSX. 10 if doing it one’s self. 8 is probably book time.

Back