• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

clutch opinions?

I am throwing away my Bell kit and installing custom turbos at 14-16 psi, so I need a streetable clutch that will hold up with 500-600 hp.

Please limit input to opinions based on actual experience - no speculation. I am particularly interested in hearing from anyone who has driven the Comptech race clutch (PowerGrip 2) on the street.

Thanks all.

well, since no one has a NSX with that much power, I really dunno how people can give actual experience. All we can do is speculate. Danny in Vegas well have his NSX monster soon, but I havn't heard from him yet. Look down a few topics below, you'll find some clutch discussions

------------------
Please visit my NSX tuning page! Mods, Japanese NSX related stuff, pics!
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Dojo/6073/index.html

Cameron Parsons in Australia has a custom twin turbo built to 550+ by AVO. Maybe they'd be willing to give you some advice? http://www.avoturbo.com

Good luck! Please let us know how the project turns out.

David, I have a 98 coupe with CT Intake, Headers, Exhaust, and no cat. I'm at about 310 to 320 HP and 250 lb. ft. of torque. Therefore, I can't say what will happen at the power levels you have. But, for your info CT now offers 3 clutch packages, a High Performance Street, a Street/Track, and All-Out Race Clutch. I installed CT's new Street/Track clutch in April. CT recommends this package up to 400 lb. ft. or torque (i.e. supercharged cars). I have found this set up excellent at my power levels. I've put about 10K miles on it and about 20 drag strip runs. My last run was this past Sunday at the NIRA Fall Nationals at Raceway Park, in Englishtown, New Jersey. I experience no slippage during power shifts and although it feels a little heavier on the street it is absolutely unnoticeable on the track. In fact, because the clutch catches in such a short throw, I think I’m shifting faster (i.e. the time between disengage and engage is quicker). Also, it catches a little lower than most clutches and therefore takes a little getting used to (everyone, including Acura service guys, stalls the first time they try to drive the car). Comptech will probably recommend the all out race clutch for your power levels, however, you may find the Street/Track Clutch sufficient if your using street tires. If you run slicks, my guess is that it won’t be enough.

You know, Dali Racing is developing a clutch that is meant to handle something like 1000hp or something..
Its a Carbon Fiber Three-plate clutch...
I was GOING to get one..but my clutch died and I needed a clutch *Now* and they werent ready. You might want to contact Mark Johnson about that clutch...

Back