• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch Questions

The clutch on my 1991 is going out and I was quoted $2400 to replace it with OEM equipment. My questions are, is this a fair price, can I find OEM parts for cheaper (now that the parts guy is out of the biz), should I consider an aftermarket (Comptech, Dali, etc.) clutch?
Your experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Ugly:
The clutch on my 1991 is going out and I was quoted $2400 to replace it with OEM equipment. My questions are, is this a fair price, can I find OEM parts for cheaper (now that the parts guy is out of the biz), should I consider an aftermarket (Comptech, Dali, etc.) clutch?
Your experiences would be greatly appreciated.

You might find a search through the archives on this forum helpful as this topic has been covered extensively in the past. Might save you waiting for responses.
smile.gif

------------------
The NSX Model List Page

That's slightly high but not ridiculously so. Typical prices around here (where labor rates are around $75/hour) are $2000-2200, including parts and labor.

You can probably find the clutch itself for less. However, I wouldn't want my clutch installed by someone who has never done one before, and many dealers (with experienced NSX techs) would not be keen on installing a clutch purchased elsewhere. OTOH the folks in your dealer's parts department might be amenable to some negotiating on the price for such a major item. Get friendly with the parts manager (let him know what's available by mail) and ask him if he can do anything for you. Same thing for the service manager. I bet you can knock the price down by a few hundred bucks (maybe more) if you ask nicely.

Good luck.

$2400 is a bit too high I think. $1800-$2000 is more what an OEM clutch installed should cost.

Yes, you should consider aftermarket clutches as well. I just had the Comptech Powergrip 2 clutch installed in my car for $2680 by a local dealer. When you consider that it's the most expensive NSX clutch and arguably in many owner's opinions the best, I think I got a pretty good deal. The PG2 clutch feels so much sportier and grippier that I don't think I could ever go back to the vauge feel of the OEM clutch.

On expensive service jobs you should always ask the dealer for a discount. I have never failed to get a discount from a Honda or Acura dealer's service dept. One time I even waited until I was presented the bill then cried about how expensive and what a rip off it was. They then offered me a 10% discount without any hassle. Same technique often works at the parts counter too-- considering the high price of NSX parts, the parts guy will have a pretty hard time not sympathising with you!

Back