• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch SWAP HELP ?

My buddies car has a new clutch and a NON snap ring tranny. He is trading in his car, so I would like trade my snap ring range tranny and old clutch for his. Is there is problem with doing this? The shop that I am thinking about doing it at is telling me that it can't be done. They are saying I have to buy a NEW clutch and put in, I can't swap my buddies clutch to my car. Is this True?

Depends on the model year of your buddy's NSX - +'97 NSXs have 6 gear trannies and a single disc clutch. If it's an older NSX then I don't see a problem besides the amount of work to change it.

I agree with NSX-Racer it is not a problem. But....I think maybe the shop is concerned about the condition of both cars (maybe unknown to them) and what they might find once they go in there. I am thinking they may just not want the headache of pulling an old clutch and finding something and having to come back to you and say, you may need a new one.

Personally I would also have second thougths about doing this. I would inform the potential customer that this could go back together and last a short time and need replacement or it could last a long tome, but there would be ABSOLUTELY NO garauntee. If the clutch lasted 10 miles and broke it would be the customers problem.

At the same time, if I were the customer I would NOT go for this deal. Maybe the shop is actually trying to avoid a messy situation.

The other thing is that repairing a snap-ring trans may be the same cost as swapping TWO transmissions. The only advantage I see is you may get a slightly newer second hand clutch.

My $.02,
LarryB

NSX-Racer said:
Depends on the model year of your buddy's NSX - +'97 NSXs have 6 gear trannies and a single disc clutch. If it's an older NSX then I don't see a problem besides the amount of work to change it.

Both cars are 92 cars, with stock clutch and 5 speed tranny.

Like LB mentions, they probabally don't want to be responsible for the finished product, installing a used clutch. Tranny is a no-brainer.
The problem for some installing a used clutch is usually chatter. There is nothing else I can think of that would worry a tech, as long as you swap the whole assembly from t/o to flywheel. The way to avoid chatter on a clutch reinstall is to remove it the same way you (I) install it, and that is to remove the bolts in install sequence, half a turn at a time. All pressure plates are likely to warp during a quick removal, but the NSX alloy plate(s) are really likely to warp. I have removed MANY for inspection and reinstall, and if you un-tourque them exactly as you should tourque them, there is no prob.

HTH,
MB

Back