• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch & Transmission -1997 NSX

My gear box is having trouble finding gears and I'm also concerned about my clutch (It was replaced <20,000 miles ago, and my mechanic said it needs to be changed again). I'm located in southern california 92503, does anyone know of a good, reliable place, that i can get my car looked at? I'm not too sure if the mechanic i've been using is familiar enough with my 97 NSX. Any advice would be appreciated.

Niguel Motors "Ramon" did my clutch. Complete OEM dual plate clutch and charge a very reasonable price. The only thing that was expensive was buying the OEM clutch itself. Make sure you buy the throw-out bearing too.

give Ramon a call...he is a really nice guy and does awesome work.

Niguel Motors "Ramon" did my clutch. Complete OEM dual plate clutch and charge a very reasonable price. The only thing that was expensive was buying the OEM clutch itself. Make sure you buy the throw-out bearing too.

+1 Ramon is the only one who works on my car. :wink:

Raymond and autowave are great shops, im not bad either.:wink:

cant go wrong with any of the three.:smile:

If you don't mind the drive I would go with Rob from Speed Oracle. He is the only one that I let work on my 2 NSX's.

If you would rather go to San Diego you can take your car to Greenlight Honda and Jerry Sample does good work also.

http://www.greenlighthonda.com

Thank you.
I went to see Ramon yesterday. His advice was to leave the clutch alone 'till it wears out and replace with the new one. One of the reason is aluminum (car body) is relatively soft material, so, the process (checking the clutch) may damage the aluminum. However, my problem is that it is hard to shift from one gear to another. It's frustrating.

All of the following come with high recommendations here on Prime:

Ramon @ Niguel Motors
http://niguelmotors.com/

Ron(Ron98) @ SpeedOracle
888 285 2822

The guys @ Autowave
http://www.autowaveinc.com/index.htm

Yes, he is a nice guy and more importantly he knows NSX. He spent about an hour checking my car. I appreciated it very much. Thank you!

bring the car to me. I have a garage with tools. I know what's up! i'll charge you 5 times cheaper then any other shop!!!!!! I have no overhead!

I have no idea (I do not have any idea about car mechanic, sorry). However, Ramon did not mention any of the above. I presume something else?

Did he tell you why the car was difficult to shift? I just replaced my original clutch after 145,000 miles. It was starting to slip, but at no time was the car hard to shift. Someone should be able to diagnose that problem for you. Ron

Did he tell you why the car was difficult to shift? I just replaced my original clutch after 145,000 miles. It was starting to slip, but at no time was the car hard to shift. Someone should be able to diagnose that problem for you. Ron

a big :eek: . if my clutch will last another 50,000 miles after 5yrs. i am glad to keep it for another 10 yrs.

i guess it's the one of the most expensive maintenance parts.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there was a thread going around somewhere saying that if your clutch has been replaced and they did not "seat it" or have it preloaded correctly when installed, the transmission will have a difficult time engaging gears.

The controversy was that people were asking why the service manual said the clutch had to be loaded a certain way, but it didn't specify WHY, and I believe someone said that it was for this reason.

Am I offbase? :confused:

I wish someone could help/comment about this "SEAT IT" issue. Thanks!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there was a thread going around somewhere saying that if your clutch has been replaced and they did not "seat it" or have it preloaded correctly when installed, the transmission will have a difficult time engaging gears.

The controversy was that people were asking why the service manual said the clutch had to be loaded a certain way, but it didn't specify WHY, and I believe someone said that it was for this reason.

Maybe try some DIY guys over in those threads. It will probably net you more responses than here in the Southwest forum.

Apparently to find the problem(s), the clutch has to be dismantled. It seems that damaging soft material (aluminum body) weighs more than dismantling the clutch assembly. However, any opinion is welcome for the future clutch repair/replacement.

the "Seating" is not too hard of a job.

just follow the directions in the book.

this is only an issue, if your clutch is new and you just had a clutch job.

if after a clutch job your car does not shift or has a hard time shifting into gear, the preassure plate is not seated correctly.

it should be adjusted.

you can adjust it from the outside of the car "THANK GOD" just take off the dust cover on the tranny from the bottom of the car.

do not screw around with it if you dont know what your doing.

pushing it out too much can result in pulling the tranny. :biggrin:

but it didn't specify WHY, and I believe someone said that it was for this reason.

lol the why.

here it is :tongue:

the reason why they need to your "preload" the pressure plate is so that when the clutch is engaged, the pressure plate has enough clearance to completely lift off the friction material.

if this is not done and the pressure plate is left in its initial install location, there is not enough travel/clearance for the friction material to lift off and disengage.... the results is much like trying to shift into gears with out pushing the clutch. :biggrin:

if your car was driving fine before, dont screw with this adjustment.

now you know why.

happy motoring

Rob

Last edited:
Rob,

Thank you for the last two e-mails dated 07/26/08 @ 2:05 & 2:12. What you described is exactly what’s happening to my car/clutch. Could the “Seating” & “Preload” be done on 1997 NSX (without dismantling the clutch)? Mine is 1997 and I heard (from other mechanics) that its clutch is self adjusted clutch (Note I have no idea about car mechanic, so … I’m confused!).

If it were doable, would you tell me where you’re located? Is it possible that you adjust my clutch this Saturday? I work during the week and live in Riverside. How long does it take to do the adjustment? Can I wait while you’re adjusting the clutch or I need to make an arrangement to leave the car?

Iwan

By the way, I e-mailed the same message thru "Private Measages."

lol the why.

here it is :tongue:

the reason why they need to your "preload" the pressure plate is so that when the clutch is engaged, the pressure plate has enough clearance to completely lift off the friction material.

if this is not done and the pressure plate is left in its initial install location, there is not enough travel/clearance for the friction material to lift off and disengage.... the results is much like trying to shift into gears with out pushing the clutch. :biggrin:

if your car was driving fine before, dont screw with this adjustment.

now you know why.

happy motoring

Rob

bring the car to me. I have a garage with tools. I know what's up! i'll charge you 5 times cheaper then any other shop!!!!!! I have no overhead!

how much u charge me to do my clutch ? LOL but serious

Back