• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Coilover choice?

I'm thinking about installing Tein RA coilovers, can anyone give me some feedback (good or bad) on how they perform, ride quality, adjustability, etc. Is there a better choice than Tein?

The car is mostly used for the street but might see some track days.

Yellow Zonker said:
I'm thinking about installing Tein RA coilovers, can anyone give me some feedback (good or bad) on how they perform, ride quality, adjustability, etc. Is there a better choice than Tein?

The car is mostly used for the street but might see some track days.

If your car is used primarily for street use and you want to get coilovers, you might also think about the Tein Flex w/EDFC. This gives you some more flexibility to adjust the compression and rebound while in motion even. We've had the Flex for about 7 months now and really have enjoyed it. There are some other good choices out there too, just depends on what you want to achieve and the price you'd like to spend.

My suggestion would be to contact Chris @ ScienceofSpeed to go over your requirements and he can help you select a product that will best suit your needs. Here is a link to the choices that they offer. Chris seemed quite impressed with the Tein Flex setup on our car, so I would definitely look at that over the RA's if you''re looking for street applications mostly.

Hope that helps.

Why not go for HKS Hypermax 2. Although a bit more expensive than Tein the ride is more comfortable (my friend's WB white pearl NSX has one). I had Tein RA before and even at the softest setting I was bouncing in my seat and got a back ache after the ride. I went back to stock for now. Also why not go for Bilstein shocks (cheaper than the two).

I've had a set of Tein RAs on my car for a little over a year and about 60,000 miles. They still feel as good as when new. My car is a daily driver and gets driven a lot! I have the things set at the 4th click from full soft and the ride is firm and responsive and not harsh at all. I try to make it to the track 3 or 4 times a year and when there I crank them up to 4 clicks from full hard.

They are better quality than the Flex model and the EDFC controller is overkill. Just buy a set of RA's find the setting that works best for you then sit back and enjoy the hell out of your car!

These three responses just go to show you that there is more than one "correct" choice, it just depends on what YOU are looking for and like. Like Hugh said, the RA's are a bit better construction including being made out of aluminum instead of steel as the Flex, hence why they are more expensive. I would disagree with him on the EDFC being overkill because it simply makes the adjustment much easier, with a push of button on the fly you can instantly stiffen your suspension for some twisties, instead of cranking on your car. Some have found the RA's too harsh, Hugh doesn't, and some have found even the Flex too harsh, I don't. It all comes down to personal preferences and depends on your application.

The HKS Hipermax 2's are also a very good suspension as Jin mentioned. I have not driven, but rode in Seth's car with this setup and was impressed by the setup. He mentioned to me that he has really enjoyed the setup and thinks highly of it. The price is a bit more, so that is a possible detraction.

Bottom line, do your research, get a feel from others opinions, consult with someone who is familiar with all of the options, and then decide which one is right for YOU.

I have the Comptech coilovers and love them not harsh or bouncy on the low setting, but you can crank them down for the track and they really stiffen up. I looked at the Teins until I actually rode in a car w/them. Changed my mind! :wink:

These three responses just go to show you that there is more than one "correct" choice,
Here comes the fun of choosing your aftermarket suspension. My suggestion is that go to your local meet, or any nsxca, nsxprime get together, ask as much people with aftermarket suspension for rides. nsx is not a BMW, Lexus or Audi, if you need a stiffer suspension, it's going to be harsh on uneven roads. If you ask me, I don't even think the stock nsx suspension with 17 fronts is softer than an avg. lowered suspension Mercedes.

Ok, I have Tein RA myself, and I loved it. However my car's mirror is vibrating, roof liner is falling (not fall on my head, but enough to make noise). Yeah, when I go thru hwy joints, dashboard squeaks... Just to confuse you more, I had none of these symtoms on the roads that near Parent's house.

So let your own body (butt ;) ) to be the judge, and remembered, when you sit in someone's car, it always felt the suspension is softer/ more comfy than you actually touching the steering wheel. So rule of thumb is, if you feel one suspension is harsh when you are in passenger seat, cross that option, you will not like it when you are driving it.

I do not have a chance to sit in nsxR suspension on the road, but I had sit inside 2slow2speed's car on track. I would say the suspension felt like same performance as my RA, (if not more, please keep in mind that almost anyone who's experienced voted R suspension way better than RA) only way more comfortable. Now on the street, I5 specifically, I can't comment the butt feeling, but with his car and Freelance's RA equipped car side by side on Hwy, I can see the suspension movement is about the same as the RA equipped car, READ: Harsh. It's even pretty obvious from the outside. (It also not hurting that we have polar's stock suspension one also in front of me, so it's a good comparison)

If you are interested I have a set of the Tein RA with only 3000mi which I am wanting to sell.
Please email if you are interested.

Rod

Back