• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Coilovers / sway bars upgrade

Now that my NSX has become a track only car and that I am getting more and more experience, I ask myself some questions on the future suspension upgrades I could do.

I now run Tein Flex (not the Mono) with the 10/12 springs, stock f&r sway bars, Type R chassis bars, 240/610/17 front and 260/640/17 rear Yoko A005. I have (do not remember exactly) ~2.3° camber front with 9.5° caster and ~3° camber rear. Tire wear seems pretty even.

What I experience is that the ride feels pretty good and neutral. Depending on the track I change the front damping setup from 25% (slow track with tight corners) to 75% stiff (fast track) front. I have a problem with the damping adjustment rod at the rear which I broke in the damper. So I am always at 0% stiff (and that is another reason why I want to change my coilovers).

I think about a stiffer setup with street/track sway bars (or track sway bars ?) and other "not to expensive" coilovers (the Mono Flex with 12/14 ? 14/16 ? Zeal ? SoS ?).

What I fear is that the stiffeness induces a more slippery ride. Or will the fact that less mass will be transfered on the outer wheels have the opposite effect and give more grip ?

Thanks.

Zeal will be quite expensive compared to most other coil overs.

seeing you are using slicks, invest yourself a set of Koni 2812, give Andrie @ prima racing a call or email. He can hook you up a set. (it's cheaper than Moton and JRZ, so it's an reasonable upgrade.)

The first time I driven it on street, it's very comfortable yet responsive. :smile:very different than what I experienced in Tein, nsx-R and other suspension. (well maybe ohlins is the exception.) Then the first time I took it to track, I was :eek:

The Koni 2812s aren't cheap... $600 ea just for the dampers alone. I looked into it. You're looking at as much or more than the JRZs by the time you are done.

I have a set of Comptech Pros in the Marketplace for sale. Koni 3012s + lots of springs to fine tune... 1000/800/700/600/400.

KW will be out soon. I'd say wait for that as you already have a coilover that will get you by until then.

The koni is a competent option, but the KW should be better for around the same price if not less. KW had pride themselves on being better than Moton which is generally accepted as better than Koni.

I think the options I just listed would be better than anything available for the nsx from asia.

Also, keep in mind softer springs yield more grip. KWs design philosophy is to use the softest spring you can get away with. The V3 options work great paired with stiffer swaybars (yes which also adds springrate) or the Clubsports which have slightly more agressive springrates and valving.

KW also has great highspeed damping that soaks up curbs and bumps so they do not upset the car while the separately adjustable lowspeed bump and rebound is used to tune the cars handling.

KW also has great highspeed damping that soaks up curbs and bumps so they do not upset the car while the separately adjustable lowspeed bump and rebound is used to tune the cars handling.

That seems like the same as the Koni. so what exactly the edge that KW has? (I know the V3 is not an expensive coilovers, which could be better.)

The only reason I chose the 2812 is the ease of the adjustabiltiy. Which, by comparison, the Japanese made coilover's adjustable knob is a lot easier by comparison. Not to mention 3012.
Here's what you could compare:
http://www.koniracing.com/images/File/3012_Reference_Sheet.pdf
http://www.koniracing.com/images/File/2812_Reference_Sheet.pdf
versus, the turning knob of teins.

The price I paid for the 2812lb is low $4xxx. and utilize all the comptech components. I have no compliant about it so far.

CL65 captain, I wished that if you sell your kit 9months earlier, I'll buy from you right away. Kind of courious of what are you using right now.

Last edited:
That seems like the same as the Koni. so what exactly the edge that KW has? (I know the V3 is not an expensive coilovers, which could be better.)

The only reason I chose the 2812 is the ease of the adjustabiltiy. Which, by comparison, the Japanese made coilover's adjustable knob is a lot easier by comparison. Not to mention 3012.
Here's what you could compare:
http://www.koniracing.com/images/File/3012_Reference_Sheet.pdf
http://www.koniracing.com/images/File/2812_Reference_Sheet.pdf
versus, the turning knob of teins.

The price I paid for the 2812lb is low $4xxx. and utilize all the comptech components. I have no compliant about it so far.

CL65 captain, I wished that if you sell your kit 9months earlier, I'll buy from you right away. Kind of courious of what are you using right now.
I've driven on both and they are both great products. Since you already have the 2812, it would not be worth the effort to switch over to the KW as you already have something ballpark of Moton/KW/Penske, which is a huge leap above Zeal, SOS, JIC, Tein, etc...

I've enjoyed the Koni, KW, Penske, and Moton and all are more than capable for most people's needs. To answer your question, I think KW's choice in spring rates (on the softer side) combined with a slightly larger swaybar is one of the best combination out there for many of the cars ive driven on with KWs (EVO, BMWs, MR2s, 350Zs, etc...). I should be testing the NSX KW's soon so i'll have more information soon. I wouldn't call the KW cheap (you did say inexpensive but for the readers, they are not 'cheap' dampers). KW comes from a company that has won many WTCC, FIA-GT, and ALMS championships. They have a ton of engineering behind each kit, far more than most every other option currently available for the NSX. KW has a 7-post (AKA: shaker) rig that they use in their development process.

Prices should come soon with the announcement of the KW for the NSX, but the KW should deliver comparable if not better performance than anything available for the NSX. -Which has been their goal for every platform and sofar they have been very successful. On top of that, the price of the KW should be less than the likes of Moton and Penske, while delivering better performance. We'll see soon if they accomplish that goal for the NSX.

I think I will first go with stiffer adjustable sways and then wait to have the money for KWs when they come out. I had KWs (V2 and V1, not V3) on different previous cars and they were great.

I think I will ... wait to have the money for KWs when they come out. I had KWs (V2 and V1, not V3) on different previous cars and they were great.

SOLD AND PROMOTED BY BILLY JOHNSON!!!! :biggrin::wink:

I better called Andrie up and have you guys bench racing a bit... :tongue:

Back