• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Comptech SC or FX 400?

I know the SC vs turbo question will go on forever, but I was wondering if any of you have driven both the CTSC and FX 400 cars, and how they compared. I think the cost will be approx the same for either setup, or at least within a few $k.

My impression so far is that the benefits of the CTSC include that is it smog legal in CA, and is fairly bulletproof. The turbo makes more Hp and torque, but is less reliable and requires more attention.

For those of you who have driven both, how do they compare? Is the turbo that much more impressive?

D'Ecosse said:
Moot point - FX is not in the turbo business any more

Wow. Gone already? What happened? (I haven't been here for a while).

Anyway, how about a comparable 400 FX system?

I've driven a Gerry Johnson 8lb kit on stock motor (as well as his 15+lb monsters on built motors) and also a Comptech "9lb" (more like 7.5) kit - both are obviously much more potent than stock but the turbo wins hands down for the low end torque, coming in all the way down at ~3500. No comparison in performance, easy winner.
If the tuning is done correctly on a suitable engine management system, there is no reason why a turbo (any turbo) equipped motor should be less reliable than a Supercharger - especially one that has no engine managment control modification! (yet surprsingly is amazingly robust).

A simple turbo set up...by simple I mean working with in the same parameters of the comptech system would be in theory MORE reliable as you have the ability to control IAT. Which you don’t have w/ the CTSC.

In theory (and practiced by some) a mid size turbo with proper wastegate limitation and a RRFPR on stock engine management and injectors offers great results nice TQ and nice HP. This can be done relatively inexpensive also. Approx 6K for all the parts. I wouldn’t be surprised if you saw a few more people popping up w/ turbo systems for sale soon.
Understanding how far you can "push" this type of system in the key.

Gerry is still in business isn't he? I think he quotes about $8-9k for a stock motor install.

Did cybernation ever get their kit together?

melmark said:
Wow. Gone already? What happened? (I haven't been here for a while).

Anyway, how about a comparable 400 FX system?

We are now a private shop, we are still boosting the hell out of our NSXs:) Having driven practically all options for the NSX, there is nothing like a properly turbocharged NSX. On our FX400 a little under 6psi resulted in 400rwhp with plenty of area under the curve. If GJ is still serving the public give him a ring.

there is no reason why a turbo (any turbo) equipped motor should be less reliable than a Supercharger

My experience differs widely: my only turbo car that I had generated an incredible amount of heat from the turbos.

To the point where ALL of the plastic and rubber in the engine compartment becomes hard and brittle. The exhaust and turbo housing can become cherry red. I've had seals+bearings go out on turbo's...R&R'ing them is difficult as everything around them seizes and galls due to the extreme temperatures that the damn things generate. Let alone a turbo seal going out and dumping all your oil down the tailpipe...a problem that cost me $13K to fix on my FD.

Just for the heat issues alone: it makes the engine much less reliable and more difficult to work on. Everything just cracks, breaks and snaps off (bolts, studs, plastic nipples, hoses, seals), just not worth sacrificing in the long run. Let alone the actuators, BOV, intercooler, lots of custom piping.

I will never touch turbo's again. I believe I have bought a nice yacht for the "plasma torch broken bolt removal guy"....had him over at least two-three times a year, it was impossible to remove the turbo's without breaking off a stud or bolt.

No doubt about performance, but I can't see the car being as reliable as a CTSC.

Drew
/really dislikes turbos, really really.

Attention Factor X

I Have Been Trying To Call You Numerous Times Regrding Problems I'm Having With My Fx500.

Why Don't You Return My Calls? Last Time You Said That You Didn't Call Me Back Because You Dropped Your Phone In The Pool Again.

I Am Very Frustraded With Your Failure To Respond To My Calls And The Problems I'm Experincing.

I See From Your Recent Post That You Must Still Be In Business.

Please Call Me.

Steven Lee

Factor X Motorsports said:
We are now a private shop, we are still boosting the hell out of our NSXs:) Having driven practically all options for the NSX, there is nothing like a properly turbocharged NSX. On our FX400 a little under 6psi resulted in 400rwhp with plenty of area under the curve. If GJ is still serving the public give him a ring.

Can anybody enlighten me as to what is going on? Is there a thread somewhere or any information as to what caused their withdraw from the market? :confused:

first off you are comparing a FD to an NSX, we all know FD are not exactly known as reliable.
a SC sytem generates almost as much heat as the turbo, actually depending on the system it could be argued that it makes more heat.
as far as plastic and rubber getting over heated, due to the fact that the FD came with the FI system it sound like that was a design issue not a turbo issue. Ihave had a number of turbo cars and never had issues, and i run them all HARD, i meen really heard, i dont change the oil and never wash them and put 100K miles on them all.

so while i feel for you and your problems it would seem to me that the issue was not with the turbo, but the vehical....

Juice said:
Can anybody enlighten me as to what is going on? Is there a thread somewhere or any information as to what caused their withdraw from the market? :confused:

To be honest burnout was the major contributing factor. Diminishing margins, shifting of the NSX demographic, and a few unreasonable clients surely added to it. None on here of course :wink: We started losing sight on why we ventured down this path. So we dissolved the company and are now private. We are still working on NSXs and are really leaning towards the Noble M400. A few sponsors came in for our new TT NSX so we are putting all of our energies into that right now.

01blacks4 said:
first off you are comparing a FD to an NSX, we all know FD are not exactly known as reliable.

so while i feel for you and your problems it would seem to me that the issue was not with the turbo, but the vehical....

Well said, the FD is a different monster. We like to call them the spinning triangle of death.

stevenlee said:
Attention Factor X

I Have Been Trying To Call You Numerous Times Regrding Problems I'm Having With My Fx500.

Why Don't You Return My Calls? Last Time You Said That You Didn't Call Me Back Because You Dropped Your Phone In The Pool Again.

I Am Very Frustraded With Your Failure To Respond To My Calls And The Problems I'm Experincing.

I See From Your Recent Post That You Must Still Be In Business.

Please Call Me.

Steven Lee

I will be sure Mikey calls you back. He has been away for his sisters wedding for the past few weeks. His phone wasn’t dropped in the pool, more like he was thrown in the pool with his phone in his pocket by some unscrupulous people :biggrin: In addition, for the record your system is not an FX500. I guess you can call it a custom SLTT NSX with and FX500 motor in it.

As mentioned before we are no longer in the business of serving the public but I will be sure he calls you.

We are still working on NSXs and are really leaning towards the Noble M400.

What are you plans for the Noble? The car is pretty sweet right out of the box as designed, I can only imagine the numbers you can post in that 2300lb machine!!

Zman said:
We are still working on NSXs and are really leaning towards the Noble M400.

What are you plans for the Noble? The car is pretty sweet right out of the box as designed, I can only imagine the numbers you can post in that 2300lb machine!!

We are looking to use the HKS- F-CON V-PRO, produce some hard pipes, BOV, Ti exhaust, and some other goodies. Our target horsepower is around 500rwhp. The only problem is the waiting list for the M400 is over 6 months now… Its getting harder to resist the already built M12’s that are running around.

Hey, I need some hard pipes and a BOV for our M12 Go ahead, make them, PLEASE :biggrin:

Tim

I fit a set of Signature Series sideskirts to Pam's(VE7NSX) car today.
At the end of it all she offered me her car for the weekend! IT HAS A COMPTECH SUPERCHARGER!
I graciously said no,as tough as it was,"however" I said "Since you have two cars at my shop,how about I follow you home to drop one off"
Well this lady can drive,the 350Z took off and took off fast,so I had to keep up,RIGHT!
I know I got a little off topic here but had to give her props for letting me drive this car.I have no idea of the power of turbos,so I can't give you a direct comparison of the two,but the supercaharger was GREAT!

Anyway the power was awesome and smooth,I was sooo impressed as you can tell.It was the low boost kit,bolt on and go!
I would be happy with that,I don't think I would want the hassles(tuning and money) of the high boost kit.No offense to all those who have the high boost,it's just that I would be happy with the easiest way!
I all I can say is that this is a must for those who want to go and I mean GO!
THANKS PAM!
Stacy

Then one day it just doesn't seem as fast as it used to be and you begin to want more... :biggrin:

Certainly we would never decline the invitation for more power. I don't think you can ever have too much, as long as you know how to use it.

As for reliability, one of my Type "R" Integra friends uses this slogan ... "If you want a faster car ... buy a faster car!" He has spent a ridiculous amount of money on his car and the reliability has really suffered.

Honestly, I would love a ride in a turbo NSX ... anyone going to NSXPO 2005 with one?

Maybe. :wink:

pbassjo said:
Then one day it just doesn't seem as fast as it used to be and you begin to want more... :biggrin:

Oh ... how true! never say never, because enough will never be enough.

Dave

VE7NSX said:
Certainly we would never decline the invitation for more power. I don't think you can ever have too much, as long as you know how to use it.

As for reliability, one of my Type "R" Integra friends uses this slogan ... "If you want a faster car ... buy a faster car!" He has spent a ridiculous amount of money on his car and the reliability has really suffered.

Honestly, I would love a ride in a turbo NSX ... anyone going to NSXPO 2005 with one?

We will be out there with our TT NSX to compete at IDRC, granted this is not what you would consider a typical daily driver. A 1997 FX400 should be out there also, and maybe another FX500.

Back