• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Concept to Debut @ Detroit Motor Show

Honda Redies Next NSX Concept
13101111114829756234x155.jpg

Honda has revealed that it is working on a new concept that hints at a range-topping sports coupe.

The Super Sports concept will follow the Small Sports EV Concept that will be unveiled at this week’s Tokyo motor show. The Super Sports design will be shown at the Detroit show in January and will form a halo model that suggests a spiritual successor to the NSX.

The existence of 2 concepts reiterates recent comments from Honda chiefs that the company is working on a range of sports models. President of Honda Motor Europe, Manabu Nishimae, described how the company “knows that there are customers who want Honda sports cars, and we are developing and intending to deliver products for them”.

There are no official details regards the Super Sports’ engine transmission, but expect a high-performance hybrid or electric powertrain in keeping with the company's current push towards further electrification of its range. An all-wheel drive system is also possible.

The Small Sports EV Concept that will be seen at Tokyo is expected to reach showrooms by 2013.

Last edited:
Some strange grumblings coming out of the shadows. Now it is likely that Honda is going to start building engines for McLaren F1. Maybe they are trying to recreate the magic that was there when Senna was alive and give purpose towards building a super car?

Just fantasizing guys.

McLaren Honda FTW!

They should hire Bruno Senna and lure one of Prost's son's from the financial world and relive the 80's! :cool:

The existence of 2 concepts reiterates recent comments from Honda chiefs that the company is working on a range of sports models. President of Honda Motor Europe, Manabu Nishimae, described how the company “knows that there are customers who want Honda sports cars, and we are developing and intending to deliver products for them”.
Yea, they might finally be listening to their loyal customer base and read all the nasty complaints i've left them on their Facebook page! lol

Some good news but I guess that means we have alot more waiting to do. I was hoping the Tokyo Show would make the debut of the next NSX but I guess we got to wait until January 2012 to see the concept. I hope it's good.

I'll be the wet blanket here as I'm really scared it will be awful. Honda prove me wrong .. fingers crossed.

The concept seems straight forward and feasible. This powertrain in an "Avengers" body shell could be pretty awsome.

Acura NSX Successor Taking Shape<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Ahead-of-Its-Time Honda Dualnote Concept Provides Powertrain Clues<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
The Honda Dualnote Concept was first shown at the 2001 Tokyo Auto Show<o:p></o:p>
At Honda's recent shareholders' meeting in Tokyo, a middle-aged man stood up during the Q&A session and asked whether the company was going to reinterpret a small, sporty car like the Beat for the 21st century. "While I am still young enough to enjoy sports driving, I'd like to drive something compact and sporty, something like an updated Beat. What are the chances of that?" he said poignantly. <o:p></o:p>
Honda CEO Takanobu Ito took the microphone and replied without hesitation. "We are currently developing a successor to the Beat, a car that anyone can easily have fun with. Expect to see it in showrooms within the next few years." The comment dominated the headlines the next day. Strangely, Ito's subsequent utterance didn't get nearly as much play, but potentially was much more significant to those pining away for a road-going Honda supercar: "In addition to the Beat successor, we are also making significant progress with plans for an exotic sports car."<o:p></o:p>
Just six months ago, Ito told a media gathering that Honda felt compelled to re-launch a high-performance sports car like the NSX, but he didn't go so far as to say it was definitely happening. But it was the first time Ito had actually uttered the telling phrase "making significant progress with plans to..." build a successor.<o:p></o:p>
To get a clearer idea of exactly what Honda has planned, a source close to Honda suggested we go back a decade and re-examine the Dualnote, a gasoline-hybrid, all-wheel-drive concept car first shown way back at the 2001 Tokyo Motor Show. Powered by a midship-mounted (Japanese-speak for mid-engined) 3.5-liter V-6 with Honda's IMA hybrid system, the four-door concept's front wheels were propelled by in-wheel electric motors, while the rears were driven by the engine, a combination that reportedly generated more than 400 horsepower. The Dualnote was so advanced back then that all Honda did was adapt the drive system (minus the in-wheel electric motors) to the soon-to-be-launched Legend, thus creating the SH-AWD system. <o:p></o:p>
Ten years down the track, Honda is still perfecting that original AWD hardware, which includes the large-capacity engine with hybrid combination, motors that propel the fronts, and V-6-driven rears. Another insider tells us the car's target specifications have already been decided. "Honda wants to build a supercar that breaks the mold while creating a totally new technological package," he said. So what we are going to see is a further development of that 2001 concept, but adapted for today's fuel economy and emissions expectations.<o:p></o:p>
It's not a car that rests on its engine-generated power alone. The extra herbs produced by the front-mounted electric motors will make the next-generation NSX a very quick car. "It has to be fast to live up to the expectations of a future NSX, right!?" pleads our insider. He went onto say that a record Nurburgring lap time is not Honda's target. "But be rest assured, this car will be the top in its class, and the powerful engine-motor combination will achieve that result." <o:p></o:p>
Our sources inform us that Honda is working on a VTEC V-6 engine displacing 3.5 to 3.7 liters that boasts a cylinder head with an integrated exhaust manifold and valveless throttle. Obviously it will be of the Atkinson cycle variety. The two-motor setup will be powered by lithium-ion batteries and employ a plug-in recharge system to minimize battery weight.<o:p></o:p>
The original Dualnote system incorporated an engine that drove an on-board generator powering the motors, a system considered inherently inefficient. By fitting an all-new continuous current motor to the new concept, engineers have been able to minimize electricity consumption while at the same time creating a gutsy torque-generating, high-revving system. "This system will be the secret to the NSX successor's incredible pace," suggests our source.<o:p></o:p>
One other critical aspect of the new car will be its weight-saving aluminum body, a process carried over from the first NSX. And the final part of the package is price. Our sources tell us that Honda wants to bring the car to the U.S. as an Acura by 2014 for under $100,000 -- a sticker price designed to rival that of the Nissan GT-R.

Read more:
http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_vehicles/1110_acura_nsx_successor_taking_shape/#ixzz1eZXK40Qx<o:p></o:p>

I don't know how much weight to put on that concept sketch. It does looks pretty hideous. Front end needs work.

I am cautiously hopeful. This car needs to be drop dead gorgeous.

Honda NSX for Detroit

Hybrid successor to the legendary Honda supercar will debut in Detroit in January

car_photo_481198_7.jpg

By Graham Hope

29th November 2011

The 1st clues to Honda’s long-awaited NSX successor will be unveiled at the Detroit Motor Show. The Japanese company has confirmed that a hybrid concept known internally as the Super Sports will appear at the US event at the start of January.

A mysterious Acura concept was spotted last month on the set of the new Avengers movie in Central Park, New York, alongsive the film's star, Robert Downey Jr. Honda refused to comment on the pictures, but it's though that this mid-engined roadster could be the car in question.

Should the model make production, as is anticipated, it is likely to go on sale by 2013. Honda even took the bold move of showing a fleeting image of a sleek, silhouetted image of the model at a technical presentation to journalists at its Motegi Twin Ring facility.

R and D boss Yoshikazu Kigoshi said: “It will define the new face of Acura (Honda’s premium US brand).” But the car is set to go on sale worldwide, and it will wear the Honda badge in Europe and possibly even resurrect the revered NSX name.

An insider at the company admitted new boss Takanobu Ito had been stung into action after suggestions that a company once famed for its sporty cars and engineering expertise had lost its way in recent years. “This is the start of new direction for Honda,” he stressed. “We need a halo product.”

And chief operating officer of R and D Toshikiho Nonaka outlined the company’s agenda when he confirmed: “We are investigating a Super Sports car that pursues exhilarating fun.”

However, the new model will be in keeping with Honda’s Earth Dreams policy, which prioritises Fun, the Environment and Safety, and is likely to feature an electric motor as well as conventional power.

Other technology which could be used in the car is the firm’s new Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive system.

This torque control system transfers energy from inside wheels to outside wheels while cornering to maximize stability. Auto Express briefly tested it at the firm’s test track and found it delivered an extremely sporty drive, even in something the size of an Accord.

Nonaka acknowledged SH-AWD would be ideal for a new flagship performance model when he said: “We do have an understanding that lightweight, speedy, sporty vehicles are needed for this system.” President of Honda Motor Europe Manabu Nishimae added: “We know there are customers who want Honda sports cars and we are developing and intending to deliver products for them.”

Earth Dreams.....and how horrible that stupid rabbit eared F1 car did. I wish they would drop this fu¢€!ng "save the planet" horse crap. AAARRRRRGGGHHH!!!! Just build cars that people enjoy driving and being seen in; is it really so hard?

Ok gentlemen I'll bet anything this is the set up. Well Honcho we've been right all along 3.5L V6 with hybrid tech and SHAWD

5. A high-efficiency, high output electric SH-AWD hybrid system which combines superior driving and environmental performance.

A new hybrid system, electric SH-AWD, was developed for large-sized vehicles. By combining a 3.5L, V6 engine with this hybrid system, acceleration equivalent to V8 engines, as well as fuel efficiency equal or superior to in-line 4-cylinder engines were realized.

This will more than likely be one of the trannys

An electric 4WD system with independent 20kW+ motors on both sides for the rear wheels combines a 7-speed dual clutch transmission system with a built-in 30kW+ high-efficiency motor with the engine.

http://world.honda.com/news/2011/4111130Earth-Dreams-Technology/index.html

WingZ and Honcho, it looks like our predictions were incredibly accurate.

I like the look of the concept, especially the rear quarter. The front needs some work. I was hoping for a V6tt or V8 with at least 400hp.

I hope it weighs around 3000lbs or so.

Reaching at least 400BHP shouldn't be a problem...

Front
V6 (3.5L) ~300 BHP
30 KW (Hybrid Assist Motor) ~ 40 BHP

Rear
20 KW (Left Motor) ~27 BHP
20 KW (Right Motor) ~27 BHP

I like the look of the concept, especially the rear quarter. The front needs some work. I was hoping for a V6tt or V8 with at least 400hp.

I hope it weighs around 3000lbs or so.

Guys I don't want to be negative but for this so called concept to reality the chance is close to, a big fat zero.

World economy is in turmoil and Honda, in particular Acura, is not doing very good at all.

They reason Honda abruptly canceled the last NSX concept (the test mule even dressed up using S2000's exterior) was due to economic downturn. The world economy has not gotten much better since they canceled the last project, so I just don't see a new NSX coming soon.

Unfortunately, it's probably all marketing scheme to excite the public.

Honda needs to introduce a sportier version of their CR-Z, after that maybe another higher level sports coupe, and based on the success of that model (if they can achieve it), then talk about the new NSX. The product line is way screwed up and out of sync right now.

The NSX has been retired for 7 years now, and without much improvement during the 15 years in production, I'm pretty sure a lot of engineering and expertise have gone lost, so jumping into a halo car right away is just NOT WISE. Will cost the company too much money without the (sales) result.

Just want to provide some actual numbers for you guys to think about;

Here are the sale numbers for the month of Oct. 2011:

CRZ: 289
Crosstour: 1478
RL: 22
ZDX: 131
Insight: 492
Civic hybrid: 480

I am not kidding!

Who wants a hybrid CRZ? Guess only 289 people in Oct in the entire U.S.

Hybrid sales are disastrous. The entire line up need to be reviewed and revamped.

They need to kill the Crosstour and ZDX, reintroduce the RL with a V8, before talking about the next NSX.

Reaching at least 400BHP shouldn't be a problem...

Front
V6 (3.5L) ~300 BHP
30 KW (Hybrid Assist Motor) ~ 40 BHP

Rear
20 KW (Left Motor) ~27 BHP
20 KW (Right Motor) ~27 BHP

I still honestly think them producing a 3.5 with only 300bhp in their "high performance flagship would be a back step. I mean with current tech being greater than old tech they could still do a "green" 100-120hp per liter engine for a car at the $100k mark as just barely 400hp isn't competitive or class leading at that price range.

I'm not trying to be a power whore or anything like that it's just at that price range + flagship you have to throw everything you have at the engine.

I was talking with a coworker who drives a OEM stock 97 civic 5spd. We discussed the new Toyota GT86 and he stated that even with 200hp it was meh..."can't 4cyl today make more power?"

I reminded him of the weight of the car/mpg were an issue and cost. However from a normal "joe" that was the first thing he said. SO yes..the new "NSX" needs ALOT of hp to get people to notice besides looks which recently ACURA has no clue about.

Just want to provide some actual numbers for you guys to think about;

Here are the sale numbers for the month of Oct. 2011:

CRZ: 289
Crosstour: 1478
RL: 22
ZDX: 131
Insight: 492
Civic hybrid: 480

I am not kidding!

Who wants a hybrid CRZ? Guess only 289 people in Oct in the entire U.S.

Hybrid sales are disastrous. The entire line up need to be reviewed and revamped.

They need to kill the Crosstour and ZDX, reintroduce the RL with a V8, before talking about the next NSX.

Totally agree

Let's see:
1) good looks-nope
2) performance-nope
3) hybrid mpg-nope
4) competitive pricing-nope

damn, talk about a disaster recipe, Honda:biggrin:

Back