• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

considering A Ferrari 488 GTB

I have a 2005 Red/Blk that I've said for 18 years now that there is no other car I would consider owning beside family and dailies of course. However a good friend of mine recently purchased a 488 GTB and because of my prior racing experience asked me if I would go to the track and help him learn to drive the car. I did and of course the differene between mine and his was not describable. My friend was never able to handle the car in anything but sport mode. I of course put it in race mode.The power and handling of the 488 was so much that after 40+ years of racing experience I found the car to be a handfull. More fun than I've had in a car since my early ALFA days. I now find myself seriously considering trading my NSX for one. Really can't justify 2 barely drive 1. so I've got a real dilemma on my hands I really love my car but the 488 is a whole other thing.

Keep the NSX and get your 488 fix by giving your good friend more driving lessons. : )

So, you are asking about replacing a vintage car that came into production some time around 1990 with a decidedly more modern car that came into production around 2015 and you are asking that question on a forum for those vintage car owners? Not exactly sure what kind of response you are looking for.

Make a decision based upon what you want to do.

As an owner of several Ferraris over the years they are great cars but whatever you think the maintenance will cost multiply it by a factor of ten. Bought rotors for the Enzo and they were $7500 each.

If you are a Honda/acura fan like me and want ease of maintenance /ownership try finding a NC1 esp a Type S. Unless you have a Ferrari dealership close by...Of course the 488 is amazing power.

I've toyed with selling my Zanardi and adding a Ferrari to the stable. Sadly, I'm too emotionally attached to it so it's staying, along with the rest of the cars but I'm probably going to order a 296 next year. While I love the NSX Type S, the Ferrari is simply next level.

Go for it. I recently had some seat time in an F8, life changing.

I have a 2005 Red/Blk that I've said for 18 years now that there is no other car I would consider owning beside family and dailies of course. However a good friend of mine recently purchased a 488 GTB and because of my prior racing experience asked me if I would go to the track and help him learn to drive the car. I did and of course the differene between mine and his was not describable. My friend was never able to handle the car in anything but sport mode. I of course put it in race mode.The power and handling of the 488 was so much that after 40+ years of racing experience I found the car to be a handfull. More fun than I've had in a car since my early ALFA days. I now find myself seriously considering trading my NSX for one. Really can't justify 2 barely drive 1. so I've got a real dilemma on my hands I really love my car but the 488 is a whole other thing.

The NSX is for driving enjoyment (ie clutch, raw handling, direct feedback from the vehicle) and the 488 is on driving excitement (ie horsepower, speed, technology).

It's up to you on what are you looking for, though I have a gut feeling you will start missing those heel/ toe and raw feeling after a while.

I was also thinking about a 458 before I decided to commit to my S-Zero project. Ultimately, I decided the analog feel of the NSX would give me more enjoyment over time than the "new" Ferrari excitement. I find that such excitement wears off over time with the new supercars. I would say the GT3 RS is an exception, though.

I'm in a category of perhaps one... but the seat time I've spent in a 488 has me always left desiring more connection. Kind of like I'm driving a really fast appliance. To me, I much prefer the enjoyment and engagement of the 360, though not as cutting edge.

A very subjective topic with lots of colorful inputs for sure. There is no right or wrong opinion and mainly depends on what you want and can afford. I can agree with just about every view posted so far. I've been very fortunate to have the opportunity to drive both cars in anger on street and track. Would I trade one for another? Hell no. Of all my cars my 97 NSX-T was my very first supercar, continues to be a favorite to drive and own. Is it my fastest no but fun as hell and challenges your skills at respectable speeds. If you can manage both than get the "F" car. You'll appreciate your NSX even more on the street. Take a look at "Besides the NSX, what other care to you absolutely LOVE?" thread. There you'll see a diverse set of opinions including mine. ;)

Last edited:
You should absolutely get a 488, if it's really just about not being able to justify owning both, keep both of them for 1 year; if after a year you really feel you don't need both get rid of which ever one you are happy to part with.

You should absolutely get a 488, if it's really just about not being able to justify owning both, keep both of them for 1 year; if after a year you really feel you don't need both get rid of which ever one you are happy to part with.
+1000
IMHO Gen 1 NSX is about the analog experience, get the F car and I believe you’ll appreciate the simplicity of driving the NSX that much more.

I drove both the 488 GTB and a McLaren 570S on the track at Exotics racing in Las Vegas. The power of the 488 was amazing, yet the tight curves of the track seemed to favor the McLaren.
I've since rented a McLaren 570S Spider for street driving of 250 miles and thoroughly enjoyed it. In November, a friend and I will be renting a 458 Italia. I'm sure that will be an experience we will never forget.

Back