• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Considering my first NSX. Looking for advice Gen 1

I have alway admired the NSX but never made it a priority to acquire one. As new cars get more and more complex, lose the option of a manual transmission and are pumping fake exhaust tones into the speakers, I have found myself looking for a timeless car. I recently sold a 2011 Audi R8 V10 manual that I probably should have held onto. Anyways, I have started my search for a Gen 1 NSX, preferably the face lift car. I anticipate driving the car but do want a low mileage example. Anything I should know before making a purchase? Prices seem to be all over the place. What should I pay for a 2002-2005 with mileage under 30k?

As noted above, check the Prime Wiki for information related to purchasing an NSX. [MENTION=32200]RacerXwing[/MENTION] 's market analysis for Gen 1 cars is probably the best place to look for a price guide.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...ent-Market-Analysis?highlight=market+analysis

Coming from an Audi R8 V10 ownership, you may by comparison find the NSX lacking in horsepower. If you want a 2002+ low mileage NSX, you are going to be paying a fairly high price. If power is a primary concern, then there are better value propositions elsewhere. If power is not a primary concern and the whole NSX experience is what appeals, then proceed as planned.

I agree with above responses, especially what the very wise Old Guy pointed out about power. :smile:
To me, however, the power is totally usable power. For instance, I know that when I floor it I'm not
going to have the rear end heading for the nearest ditch...... the power is ample for the street, and compliments the
NSX's balance and overall performance brilliantly.

The fact that only ~ 860 NSX's 2002 through 2005 model years came into North America also makes it for me.
Good fortune to you in your search for a rare NSX! I'll bet you'd have a blast driving it on the hilly/curvy SC backroads :cool:

I just went through the search and purchase process and I can say it wasn't easy especially since I was on a specific budget. Time will tell if I'm happy with the particular car I think I was lucky to find! I have learned a lot in the process. You've already been given very good advice above.

I wanted one for decades. I looked for years. (Ended up buying a S2000 3 years ago in the interim that I still have and very much enjoy.) I only got more serious about an NSX when one came up for sale back in November '18 a few hours drive from me. (I didn't want to get on a plane to look.) I'd say for what you are looking for, really any era NSX, be prepared to get on a plane to confirm the particular car is right for you...maybe more than once even for the same car.

If budget isn't much of a consideration I'd say a service history is the most important thing because a lot can go wrong and you don't want a new purchase away at a shop indefinitely waiting on parts that can be very hard to find. Also, research your area and find a certified mechanic that was trained to work on these cars. Without a mechanic nearby, you could be shipping or driving far away for service. I see you are in SC so maybe Eiffel's Place in Atlanta is close. Nice fellow...he did extensive work on my car before I purchased it. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the pointers. And yes, I know it will be a different experience in terms of power. But the reality is, you can’t use 600hp without getting in trouble. I am actually more concerned about sound. The R8 had an incredible exhaust note.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As noted above, check the Prime Wiki for information related to purchasing an NSX. [MENTION=32200]RacerXwing[/MENTION] 's market analysis for Gen 1 cars is probably the best place to look for a price guide.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...ent-Market-Analysis?highlight=market+analysis

Coming from an Audi R8 V10 ownership, you may by comparison find the NSX lacking in horsepower. If you want a 2002+ low mileage NSX, you are going to be paying a fairly high price. If power is a primary concern, then there are better value propositions elsewhere. If power is not a primary concern and the whole NSX experience is what appeals, then proceed as planned.

That’s really helpful. Just curious, what other options would you consider? I am attracted to the NSX because it is timeless, attainable and still exotic. And if I came across another R8 manual, I would buy it. I shouldn’t have sold mine.

the analog experience can't be reproduced with more modern cars ..so find a loved higher mile less expensive example.....these cars are so well built that if properly maintained they will be much more pleasant to own than any other exotic of the era.

I am attracted to the NSX because it is timeless, attainable and still exotic. And if I came across another R8 manual, I would buy it. I shouldn’t have sold mine.

What is your time horizon for ownership? Are you planning to keep it for a long time? Is it going to be a DD or a weekend toy/collectible car with limited use?

Keep in mind that sourcing parts will become an issue long term.

What is your time horizon for ownership? Are you planning to keep it for a long time? Is it going to be a DD or a weekend toy/collectible car with limited use?

Keep in mind that sourcing parts will become an issue long term.

I have gone through cars very quickly, however, I am at the point where I would like to start keeping cars long term.

I don’t drive much, I would anticipate driving this car a couple thousand miles a year. So more of a weekend/collectible

That’s really helpful. Just curious, what other options would you consider? I am attracted to the NSX because it is timeless, attainable and still exotic. And if I came across another R8 manual, I would buy it. I shouldn’t have sold mine.

Options- do you mean alternatives? I gave up a Honda crotch rocket before getting my 2000 NSX, so I took a step down in terms of acceleration (not top speed which I have never used). Ultimate performance is now very much a non issue for me. When I was shopping for a replacement distraction I was actually looking at Austin Healy 3000s which always had great appeal to me. However, the reality of the practical aspects of paying big $ for a car with no AC, a flappy top, don't get caught in the rain wipers, don't drive at night electrics and generally iffy reliability intervened. The NSX with the pop up headlights also always had great visual appeal to me. So did the Ferrari 355 which I think is very similar in appearance to the NSX. I even checked out a spider version of the 355. Beautiful car to look at. Turns out not so beautiful to own. Around $10 k for a timing belt change and there were those niggling valve issues. The NSX had equal visual appeal. As you note its appearance is now timeless and it has the benefit that it does not require frequent visits to the dealership and is much less likely to leave you stranded.

If sound is of primary concern, I suggest the Ferrari 360. They had one at the dealership where I picked up my NSX. Took if for a spin. Lots and lots of sound. The owner of the dealership said fun car to drive - for about 30 minutes. If you wanted to actually go someplace, he said take the NSX or an Audi R8 or earplugs and Anacin. Aside from the overwhelming noise (why even bother with a car stereo) the car was not comfortable or in any way relaxing to drive.

Back