• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Considering trading my 05 Red NSX for a second gen.

I was wondering how the resale value will be of a second gen compared to my 05 which seems to just keep going up in value

I was wondering how the resale value will be of a second gen compared to my 05 which seems to just keep going up in value
Hard to predict. The Type-S cars will likely keep going up due to limited series. Otherwise, it will depend on the market's historical evaluation of the car. Recall that the Gen 1 could be had for less than $20,000 not too long ago. It was only after historical perspective and extremely positive re-evaluation that the market decided the Gen 1 was the best car Honda ever made and one of the best cars ever made by anyone. Will that happen for the Gen 2? Nobody really knows.

I wouldn’t. New NSX is pretty low on the list of new cars I would purchase if I want to go fast. But I have no brand loyalty. I just like the NSX for what it is pure and raw. 05 will always be a classic and fun to drive.

Really comes down to what you want and ultimately it’s up to you. But I wouldn’t trade my 92 for one, and your 05 is worth substantially more. I think years from now when the new wears off you will regret the decision.

One is analog, one is digital. I'm old skool, and prefer my toys to be analog. My daily is digital, but still ICE, no EV for me!! What's your preference, that's what should guide you, not what other's say/think!!!

agree.. classic car vs new daily driver hybrid supercar

the current trend in old JDM follows collector car demographics

The type S will always be ahead of the regular NC1, only time will tell how valuable the NC1 is compared to all the upcoming hybrids. The E-ray will suck a lot of O2 out of the room..

The E-ray while fast us not the same kind of car. The NC1 is closer to the Porsche and Ferrari than to the E-ray. The E-ray has a front motor that drives both wheels . It cannot vector steer. It is not sophisticated in the same way as the NC1, Porsche 918, and Ferrari.

Having said that, the 2005 you have is the last year NSX that one would say is a drivers car. If you are just thinking about resale value, then better not put a lot of miles on the car.

From my perspective I would not get rid of my 2017 and go backward to an earlier NSX. I had a 91 for 5 years and my 2001 NSX-T for 14 years. They were both fun. I love the NC1. It is a joy to drive and is so much more car then my earlier cars. But I like technology and want a car that is modern.

My 2001 was supercharged, had headers and exhaust. I had the Honda Navigation pod, special flywheel and clutch, brakes and Coilovers, and everything looked new. It was a great car. Even if I had a garage for my 2001NSX, I would have still sold it.

I would not worry too much about resale values. Both cars will hold their value. Getting rich is not in the cards for either car. I would focus more on what you enjoy driving. Keep in mind that the 2005 NSX is now 18 years old. Parts are going to be an issue.

Attachments

• 2E6E9729-DA5B-404C-B524-D227C26237D3.jpeg
    2E6E9729-DA5B-404C-B524-D227C26237D3.jpeg
    277.8 KB · Views: 41
  • BAD5FAA9-B6ED-4AE5-8A9A-BD081A111CC4.jpeg
    BAD5FAA9-B6ED-4AE5-8A9A-BD081A111CC4.jpeg
    311.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 4723FC28-B5E6-4F27-9B08-1E1ADE42FE9C.jpeg
    4723FC28-B5E6-4F27-9B08-1E1ADE42FE9C.jpeg
    278.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 1AFB1A57-7BF2-4111-970F-8A0AE6E27E62.jpeg
    1AFB1A57-7BF2-4111-970F-8A0AE6E27E62.jpeg
    497.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 7F7CB5A2-9446-4F80-88A1-3A15AF175DBC.jpeg
    7F7CB5A2-9446-4F80-88A1-3A15AF175DBC.jpeg
    281.1 KB · Views: 39
agree the eray is built to a different standard, but the general populace of buyers in the space don't nitpick it like we do..

I say do what your heart desires and what your wallet can afford. You can always go back. Its just numbers on a screen anyway (money).

agree the eray is built to a different standard, but the general populace of buyers in the space don't nitpick it like we do..
Well I think you are correct. Take a look at this article on people sleeping in the freezing weather to get a shot at ordering the new E-Ray. I just don't understand......https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a42733884/corvette-fans-camp-in-freezing-temps-for-chance-at-e-ray-reservation/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_rdt&utm_medium=email&date=020123&utm_campaign=nl30425099&user_email=e8abe50930cd228177c5aceadcb6e6497c13b6f20eafa97426afcf75417e3282&utm_term=AAA%20--%20High%20Minus%20Dormant%20and%2090%20Day%20Non%20Openers

because they see it has more power than the nsx ..that's all that matters...and the price is lower..they will also site articles that say its slightly quicker..

because they see it has more power than the nsx ..that's all that matters...and the price is lower..they will also site articles that say its slightly quicker..
I wonder what the markup is going to be.

adm's for early adopters likely in the 50k range..will likely drop down as production ramps up to 10-20k..

@topsailor , you are not the only one with the question. I’ve been back and forth about a trade-in for some years now. Of course, mine is not a 2005 and is modded, so less of an investment grade car than yours probably is. My take on this is that life is short and if you want to have the experience, just do it. I am personally about to finally get off the pot and trade out as prices on used NC1s have fallen again. In my case, I still have a S2000 to fall back on for manual, analog Honda greatness, in addition to owning a modern Honda supercar.

There are lots of cars like the NC2 out there, and there'll be many more similar to it made in the future. Just commodities really only requiring the $$$ to attain that driving experience. But the analog, man machine interface of a Gen 1 NSX ? They will never make cars like that again.

I just listened to the Chris Harris podcast today. The 1st Gen NSX made the top 5 list for best manual transmissions shifts.

A little odd of a category to devote a podcast to but being that Harris is such a Porsche fan, yet no Porsche made their list.

agree.. classic car vs new daily driver hybrid supercar

the current trend in old JDM follows collector car demographics

The type S will always be ahead of the regular NC1, only time will tell how valuable the NC1 is compared to all the upcoming hybrids. The E-ray will suck a lot of O2 out of the room..
One thing I'd never thought I'd say... The ERay is badass

I liked the S2000 shifter more than the nsx...

I liked the S2000 shifter more than the nsx...
THIS. And the steering on the S2000 is better.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my NA2, but I ended up buying another S2000. They are totally different analog cars with different missions, and I adore them for different reasons. Sorry for extending the off topic :D

THIS. And the steering on the S2000 is better.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my NA2, but I ended up buying another S2000. They are totally different analog cars with different missions, and I adore them for different reasons. Sorry for extending the off topic :D
Extend OT all you want; I’m sitting on the sideline rooting for your NC1 campaign : )

Last edited:
I'm probably late to this to really help but having owned a '95, still own a '96 and owned 2021 NSX I will tell you that I was not a fan of the NC1. Its fast, its pretty but it was just sort of bland. I didn't really enjoy driving it. IMHO

As a former owner of 2 NSX's (1991 & 1992), not a day goes by that I don't regret selling them. While I respect the Gen2 cars for what they are, I just don't care much for them. To me they lack the 'soul' of the originals. When the time and car is right, I will strike again and be back in the fold. My advice, keep if you can.

the 05 will always remain strong in resale market, like others have posted the price of the orig nsxn have only recently really started to appreciate . that is likely again as posted before on how the car was so well Made ahead of its time and easily maintained and not really appreciated when it was in production ... can I see the same thing happening to nc1 as it was never really loved by most but now that other manufacturers are following the hybrid tech it could be that as time goes on the realization that again this car was a tech marvel and allowed high performance, reliability and daily usability ( sound familiar ) that it will prob appreciate as time goes on ( prob still has to come down more before it goes up again) and yes the type s will always have a premium attached to it but the fact that there haven't been more than few thousand nc1s sold in its entire run there will be supply and demand issue in the future, as compared to over 100k c8s already sold , is the car an investment (not smart money) but should be stable in its value while we have true enjoyment driving a car that is spot on great ,..

Hey Guys,

Thought I'd chime in as I fit into all of the discussion here.

I'm onto my 3rd C8...see pic. Also sitting #1 at my dealership for the E-Ray and just bought my 2002 Imola NSX-T back (its never leaving again). My plan at the moment is to secure a NC1 NSX but only once I have experienced the E-Ray. The C8 is a great achievement from GM (my first GM product to be honest) and in my mind is what the NSX should have been. A buddy of mine (Chuck) allowed me to drive his NC1 with JB4 tune etc. at NSXPO last year and I loved it and he launched it - crazy!

NC1 to me is very underrated and I prefer its looks to the C8 but will I like it more than the E-Ray? Let's wait and see with production starting around July 10th this year.

Cam

PXL_20221022_175728079.jpg

PXL_20230321_212225080.jpg

Back