• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Continental, ExtremeContact SPORT tire review -with Motec Data (MotoIQ)

Hey guys,

Check out MotoIQ.com's tire test of the brand new Continental ExtremeContact SPORT -which debut earlier this month:

“Same level dry performance as a Michelin Pilot Super Sport”. That is a HUGE statement by Continental when the PSS is hands down the segment leading benchmark. Continental is extremely proud of their brand new ExtremeContact™ Sport tire that was just released earlier this month as a replacement for their ExtremeContact™ DW tire. We logged nearly a thousand miles on the new Sport in both the wet and dry, and put it up against the outgoing DW in a back to back test at Palm Beach International Raceway to see if it lives up to Continental’s claims.

In the article:

-In-depth analysis of the new (from the ground up) ExtremeContact Sport.
-Street review in the dry and wet.
-Track Test at Palm Beach International Raceway.
-Motec Data overlays back to back testing the Sport with the outgoing DW.
-Subjective Handling reviews.
-Deciphering Continental's product lineup.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/4456/TESTED-Continental-Tire-ExtremeContact-Sport.aspx

Enjoy!

Thanks for the review. But too bad they don't come with 215/40/17 like the old DW

Thanks for the review. But too bad they don't come with 215/40/17 like the old DW
I'm bugging Continental to make a 215/40-17 and 235/40-17 so stay tuned.

On another note, They do come in OEM 15/16 NSX sizes and a 205/45-16 has a 7" wide tread width so it'll work in an OEM 16/17.

Thanks for sharing this.

Any idea how these new tires compare to the Conti "5P" tires that ship on the NSX? How about versus the new Pilot Sport "4S" (the new PSS)?

Thanks for sharing this.

Any idea how these new tires compare to the Conti "5P" tires that ship on the NSX? How about versus the new Pilot Sport "4S" (the new PSS)?
A little better than the 5P. The PS4S is said to be better than the PSS in the wet with very little difference in the dry. That should pit the PS4S right against the ExtremeContact Sport in every category.

A little better than the 5P. The PS4S is said to be better than the PSS in the wet with very little difference in the dry. That should pit the PS4S right against the ExtremeContact Sport in every category.

Cool. You saved me $150 (difference in Tire Rack prices).

Pricing for OEM 16/17 sizes (205/45/16 fronts per Billy) comes to less than half what a set of RE010s would cost. For sure worth a try and will likely last twice as long as RE010s (I drive pretty gently and the RE010s melt away pretty quick as most of us know). Will be interesting to try the Contis out and with 20+ years of tire technology beyond when RE010s were designed perhaps the Contis will actually be better than the RE010s. I asked my contact at Discount Tire to source a set for delivery in next few months and I will report once they are on car and I have some miles accumulated.

Billy thanks again for the heads up.

Best,
Jeff

If Conti makes a 215/40-17, they have a sale right here. This should be much better than the Pirelli PZero Nero GTs my NSX is wearing in 17-18 fitment.

[MENTION=16531]stuntman[/MENTION], will there be a future manufacture size of 215/35/18 for the fronts?

I have been looking for a set for my 17/18. I will buy it now if they make 215/40/17. Hope they will consider making it.

I'm bugging Continental to make a 215/40-17 and 235/40-17 so stay tuned.

On another note, They do come in OEM 15/16 NSX sizes and a 205/45-16 has a 7" wide tread width so it'll work in an OEM 16/17.

I have now had an opportunity to do a couple hundred miles or so of street driving on the Conti Extreme Contact Sports that were installed on my /94 NSX running OEM 16/17 wheels. Initial impressions:

1. Immediate dramatic improvement in ride compared with the Bridgestone RE010s (tech that did install remarked that the sidewalls on the Bridgestones were really still -- almost like run flats.
2. Much less noise than the RE010s.
3. The tradeoff as one would expect is that ultimate grip (cornering) may not be quite in same league as the RE010s. I've been careful as these tires are new and I don't want any mishaps and I'm not going to drive on the street as I might on a track where there is sufficient runoff room. However I have pushed a bit in the corners/on ramps and I can detect a bit of sidewall flex which I almost never experienced with the RE010s. Steering response with the Contis is as sharp as it was on the RE010s.

The above is all I can report at this moment. If I manage to get the car in a controlled environment I will report further. If I've lost a bit of ultimate cornering capability I can live with that given the vastly improved ride given our horrible roads here in the greater Detroit area.

Best,
Jeff

what pressures are you running?

doc, I'm running Acura spec -- 33F/40R. Noteworthy is the fact that 215/45/16 size not available so I'm running 205/45/16 up front. I'm pretty sure I do feel a bit of sidewall flex up front which I never felt with the RE010s. Not too sure how things would turn out if I really pushed the Contis closer to their limit but for sure not going to try it on the street. I'll save that for next track event.

I've never been a fan of the oem pressure recommendations for the latest tires...try 36/36 cold for your next spirited run and report back

Billy, would appreciate it if you could weigh in on docs' 36/36 cold and explain effect of reduction of rear pressure and increase in front on handling. Thanks!

All tires/construction are different, but I see no benefit in having such an extreme tire pressure stagger. Likely those pressures were recommended based off of the bespoke tires designed for the NSX which don't necessarily translate to any other tire that's put on the car. 40psi rear is very high and when driven hard on the street, can easily get into the mid 40's -which is way too high and will cause the car to lose rear grip. On track, that 40psi cold pressure can easily see over 50psi and result in an extremely oversteering, unpredictable car.

I hate generalizations, but generally, street tires tend to operate the best in terms of grip between 35-40psi hot.

For your complaints, increasing the front pressures to 36psi cold will give the sidewall more support and improve your turn-in feel. Lowering the rear pressures will increase rear grip and confidence. I agree with Doc's recommendation. Try it and let us know what you think.

I'm glad Billy has time to share his wealth of car dynamics/race experience...although we are talking small increments of feel, what to Billy may feel like a mile to the average driver may be imperceptible....increasing pressure is like increasing spring rate and the reverse is like softening springs...assuming you change nothing else.

Billy and Doc, thanks so much for the thorough explanation -- makes sense to me. I will give Doc's recommended pressures a try and report back. Great to have both of you guys on this forum and thanks again.

Best,
Jeff

I'm glad Billy has time to share his wealth of car dynamics/race experience...although we are talking small increments of feel, what to Billy may feel like a mile to the average driver may be imperceptible....increasing pressure is like increasing spring rate and the reverse is like softening springs...assuming you change nothing else.
Little overly simplistic, but yes. Tires ARE springs in series with the suspensions springs and swaybars (which are springs). Heck, the chassis is a spring.

Tires are insanely complex and will vary depending on the suspension geometry, tire construction, tread, compound, etc... At the end if the day, just try those pressures :)

Billy, consider it done. Will report back once I've driven a bit on 36/36. I like the part about increase in rear grip and confidence. Old P-car end swapping is not something I want to experience on or off track. Highly doubtful with my driving style (and age) that I would wind up in that situation but more rear grip and less chance of abrupt over steer a good thing in my view. When I had the RE010s I found that the car gave me a signal in the seat of my pants coming from the rear end which I perceived to be the car telling me I was close to limits of grip -- hard to describe but kind of a little twitch/wiggle from rear end -- I never pushed any further once I felt that happen and in fact at that point would usually very gently backed off a bit. I have no idea if rear was about to step out of line or maybe it was traction control intervention. Thanks again for your input.

Best,
Jeff

Back