• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Conversion: '02 Targa to COUPE Type-R JH4NA21632T000186

Re: Conversion: '02 Targa to COUPE Type-R (56k warning)

Your amazing and beautifully-built 02 NSX "RR" makes me miss my NSX. Reading your old posts, it's interesting that you specifically mention considering a TDF blue Ferrari CS with red seats. AFAIK, there's only CS that has that exact combo (with all red seats) and it used to be a Florida car.

Any updates? Been lurking here for a while and have been waitin for the last 3-4 months for an update to this thread.

Amazing build.

Bump for an awesome car....and Mr. MIA Anil

serialNSXer<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_545764", true); </SCRIPT>

You must have balls as big as cantalopes and pockets as deep as the ocean!!
You are on my list of new heroes.
UNREAL!
:biggrin:

Just a quick update. After my family returned from living overseas in 2007, we settled back into sunny South Florida. However, once you've lived overseas and traveled, you can never shake the itch. So mid last year, we sold the house, and are once again living overseas.

And, it's been all worth it. The family traveled over Christmas to Southeast Asia, specifically, Indochina. The four of us went around Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, and Vietnam. We took an overnight barge down the Mekong River, slept in a hut in the Laotian jungles, drank cobra infused local hooch direct from the still, ate dog in Vietnam (and I can tell you, dog doesn't taste like chicken!), had a sobering day at the Killing Fields... but ate the best local food you can imagine. You just can't do all this, from Florida. You got to get out there in the world when you get the chance.

While I was in the US between 2007 - 2009, I was driving the NSX-RR pretty regularly. But since living in New Delhi, it's in safe storage at a friends garage someplace undisclosed near Fort Lauderdale. Next year, when we return back to the US, it'll once again be my daily driver. But, it's got some real competition as the daily driver... against my new love, a 1993 Land Rover Camel Trophy Defender 110. Yes, I guess I'm gettin' long in the tooth when I can say (in public) that tooling around in a ratty old Land Rover is sometimes nicer than this NSX. If that proves to be the case, sigh, I won't let the NSX rot. I'll just sell it, so that someone else can enjoy it. Yes, I'll lose money on it, but no, it won't be inexpensive.

This?
NSX_or_D110.jpg

Or this?
IMG_6888.jpg

IMG_6905.jpg

If that proves to be the case, sigh, I won't let the NSX rot. I'll just sell it, so that someone else can enjoy it. Yes, I'll lose money on it, but no, it won't be inexpensive.

PM sent, I'd LOVE to add this to my collection. Please consider me first in line if this day ever comes. :wink:

PM sent, I'd LOVE to add this to my collection. Please consider me first in line if this day ever comes. :wink:
Jeez, you guys on NSX Prime are fast! Three PMs within one hour of this post. Ok, will keep you guys posted about the NSX-RR.

We took an overnight barge down the Mekong River, slept in a hut in the Laotian jungles, drank cobra infused local hooch direct from the still, ate dog in Vietnam (and I can tell you, dog doesn't taste like chicken!),

Love the car, like the story, but this is gross.:frown:

Anil - Don't forget your brother from another mother!! I am seriously interested in the car!

BTW, what did you end up doing about the brakes or intake manifold?

BTW, what did you end up doing about the brakes or intake manifold?
No, Jon and myself couldn't find good solutions to either need(want?). And, in my desire to keep it an everyday street car, ITB is simply way too loud (having driven a few ITB cars). This NSX-RR already "sick fast", so unless I can locate an exquisite internal runner configuration, it would be a shame to rig-up something the factory wouldn't have been proud of installing themselves.

As for brakes, I'm running both slotted & drilled, with well oversized rotors—just look at the (lack of) gap between the caliper and the inside rim of these R wheels—not much wiggle room. The easiest brake upgrade is simply a more aggressive pad material, my solution of choice. It's cheap, effective, and I can swap out and test pads on a whim.

Interesting that <the Man>Jon</the Man> selected a set of slotted rotors with the drill holes inside the slot—effectively eliminating the probability of drill-hole cracks, typical of drilled rotors. Plus, there seems to be modest dust from these pads, using this slotted/drilled configuration.

IMG_6940.jpg

Last edited:

Love the camel trophy 110. I have a NAS D90 and weird as it may seem, have a tough time deciding which I like driving more...

d5.jpg

Love the camel trophy 110. I have a NAS D90 and weird as it may seem, have a tough time deciding which I like driving more...

I understand this dilemma, completely!

It's not the vehicle—itself—but how it makes you feel. Rather, the enjoyment I get from just tooling around, and watching passing drivers' faces smile and point at something reminiscent from an easier time and lifestyle, from all our pasts.

In this sense, our vehicle... becomes "a vehicle" to "transport us" to another time.

Pun intended.

I just finished reading this entire thread this evening from start to finish. Fascinating read, thank you Anil for taking the time to do very detailed explainations of your perspective as the project developed. Do you ever hire a driver to drive your family around in an Ambassador? A buddy of mine brought back a model of one when he was in India recently (white with light on top). It's gone now as I think a child thought it was more important they have the toy, vs a 52 year old... But while I had it, it brought smiles of recognition to my customers that have moved from India to work here for Microsoft.

All in, I have $165,000 into the project.

$75K (2002 donor)
$35K (conversion)
$30K (engine + suspension)
$25K (seats, "R" parts)

This figure won't surprise most of you, who've followed the enormous expenses this project has encountered. $165K is a lot of coin — which I will not see from any sale — but it was a labor of love, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. No regrets.

And, I've still probably spent less than my neighbor's annual green fees at a certain golf course he plays at. Worse, his is straight consumption, mine still retains asset value.

Getting close to deciding if to keep the NSX-RR, or let it go, because it looks like I'll be traveling outside the US for the next few years.

Cool to see some fellow NSX Primers interested in keeping the car in "da family".

Anil it would be a shame if you sold it but being an expat I understand your reasoning and dilemma if you do decide to sell it. I've read a stat regarding repatirating back to Canada (home country) and it basically said of all Canadian's returning back home after an expat posting 80% leave within 1-2 years due to financial, career, or societal issues.

Shocking stat but understandable. Once one has lived overseas you get a wider and deeper appreciation for other cultures etc.:smile:

Once one has lived overseas you get a wider and deeper appreciation for other cultures etc.
So very true. Although living in South Florida certainly has its charms, wink-wink, nudge-nudge, but even that gets tiring. After being back in Shangri-La from living overseas, I found myself increasingly asking the question, "is this all there is to life?"

Don't get me wrong, Armando and other NSXers will attest to the fact that life in SoBe, uh, doesn't suck. But, "is that all life has to offer?" Driving nice cars, ogling beautiful women, tasty ($20!) martinis, McMansions, etc. I started realizing "...the things you own, end up owning you."

Thus, my almost decision to divest the R, as I don't drive it anymore, c'est la vie.

Kinda weird, and not a consideration for everybody, but it was time for us to dust off the 'ol passports, and vamoose to foreign lands.

Where, in contrast, below is just a tiny example of the kind of things my family gets to do when we live overseas. Like a complete lack of lawyers stopping us from engaging "with nature" (yikes!), or showing my kids temples they would never otherwise visit on their own, or just watching them find solace, off a deserted beach, in Bali.

Look, let me be perfectly clear, I LOVE the US, and will be back soon, but just need a few more years outta the country, and then maybe we start visiting all the coolness the US has to offer. Maybe even pull an Airstream through all the 48 :)

Thailand
IMG_3133_2.jpg

Indonesia
IMG_5416.jpg

Chang Mai
091222_Indochine_0278.jpg

Angkor Wat
091229_Indochine_1321.jpg

Bali
IMG_5433.jpg

Haha...we kind of thread jacked this one. I will admit the NSX-RR is my all time favorite NSX project. Hands down winner on all accounts.

Those are some great photos Anil. You are quite lucky to belly rub that Tiger. Superb! Has anyone told you that you look like Mohamed Bin Sulayem? You remind me of him...car nut too!

I could have bought another +2002 NSX but decided that I could spend more or less half and get an earlier one. With the savings we could use that for additional travels etc. I'm not surprised that holiday'ing with family takes the cake and attention at the moment.

I'm not bragging but in the last 4 years I've been to:
1. Hong Kong (friends 30th)
2. Australia (F1 GP)
3. New Zealand (4-play - bungee jump, white water rafting, helicopter ride, skydive - all in the same day!)
4. Italy (F1 GP)
5. France (snowboarding with mates)
6. England (just to see)
7. Turkey (just to experience)
8. Oman (camping and to experience)
9. Bahrain (F1 GP and to experience)
10. U.S. (NSX, visit mates in NY)
11. Thailand (participated in the King's Cup Yacht Race)
12. Hawaii (Honeymoon)

and this doesn't count the regular trips home to Canada for the holidays etc.

Life's way too short to simply hang in one locale when as they say "The Worlds our Oyster". The regular conversations in our office at work goes something like this:

"What are you doing for the weekend?" reply "Off to Germany to do October Fest"...or "Off to Spain to Golf"...its amazing living in Dubai as its literally 6 hours to these destinations.

I encourage anyone to travel and it will change your mind and perceptions that Media encourages. Trust me...

Last edited:

Cam- You sound like me LOL

ANIL- COBRA energy drink is nasty if that's what your referring to! Well just me LOL

=g=

Haha...we kind of thread jacked this one. I will admit the NSX-RR is my all time favorite NSX project. Hands down winner on all accounts.

Those are some great photos Anil. You are quite lucky to belly rub that Tiger. Superb!

I could have bought another +2002 NSX but decided that I could spend more or less half and get an earlier one. With the savings we could use that for additional travels etc. I'm not surprised that holiday'ing with family takes the cake and attention at the moment.

I'm not bragging but in the last 4 years I've been to:
1. Hong Kong
2. Australia
3. New Zealand
4. Italy
5. France
6. England
7. Turkey
8. Oman
9. Bahrain
10. U.S.
11. Thailand
12. Hawaii

and this doesn't count the regular trips home to Canada for the holidays etc.

Life's way too short to simply hang in one locale when as they say "The Worlds our Oyster".

I encourage anyone to travel and it will change your mind and perceptions that Media encourages. Trust me...

Back