• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Coolant Gauge Got Hot Momentarily...

another thing the tech noted on the initial inspection was the radiator in front was cold while the engine was hot...i would assume this is another indicator of air in the system.

update from the dealer...

will perform coolant flush and have the car done by tomorrow...several drain points and 5 breather points! 4-5 hour job. $650 out of pocket.

hoping this will be the end of it! I will update further once I have more.

There is no way in hell that a coolant flush will take close to a full day of labour.
Please post a video showing you perform a coolant replacement on an NC1 *PROPERLY* in less time. I'd love to see it.

The NSX Techs are well trained and held in high regard. They do not rush through their work. They are committed to doing things correctly rather than quickly. I watched when they removed and replaced the lowering springs with the OEM. They used all new fasteners and were careful to properly torque each bolt. It was like watching a surgeon perform. I don’t mind paying for that kind of labor.

Yeah, I don't think this is an hour job...the car takes nearly 5 gallons of coolant too (which is 100 bucks of the price). I'll be happy to pay the price if my problem is resolved. If not I will be condemned to mod hell for eternity!

Update! Found a few leaking lines during the pressure test...def my fault since I got air in the line and it got hot. No other damage! I'm out 2200. Could have been much worse. Bad part is I have to wait on parts 10 days...wish there was a way to expedite that part.

IMG_3538.jpg

That sounds like dinner, a show and a room @ mod hell.

I would sure like to see the SOS install directions and wether they address this.

Last edited:
That sounds like dinner, a show and a room @ mod hell.

I would sure like to see the SOS install directions and wether they address this.

The directions are excellent and they do not tell you to pull off the lower hose of the expansion tank...but it was sooo tight I did it without really thinking about it. Little mistakes, big price. Here is the video they provide to install it...

3:59 in the video it shows the expansion tank part...

Acura has overnighted parts...car should be done tuesday.

If I read this correctly, they indicated that the coolant pipes were damaged. That is not the same thing as the expansion tank bottom hose which you removed and then replaced. The pipes are long and run the length of the car between the engine and the bottom of the radiator. Those could have been damaged if you drove over a big rock or? Can you provide part numbers?

Just got the car back...all is perfect again...they nailed me for 2600...pretty sure after looking up parts i got ripped off. Oh well, you live and you learn even at my age! Brutal. Hoping to get some good input from you guys on why I paid so much...

218271200_10158620572871775_1099759935532120453_n.jpg

If your car was under factory warranty, I would have an honest conversation with HONDA about why the pipe wasn't covered.

Sure, you screwed up by introducing air into the system, but you didn't take it apart and beat on stuff with a mallet, did you?

HONDA could and rightly claim when you voided the warranty, you voided the whole warranty.

That "high price" you paid includes the servicer covering his ass (insurance wise) if your motor seizes.

Welcome to MOD HELL, you play you pay.

Last edited:
If your car was under factory warranty, I would have an honest conversation with HONDA about why the pipe wasn't covered.

Sure, you screwed up by introducing air into the system, but you didn't take it apart or beat on stuff with a mallet, did you?

HONDA could and rightly claim when you voided the warranty, you voided the whole warranty.

That "high price" you paid includes the servicer covering his ass (insurance wise) if your motor seizes.

Right, but they would not have even known it was modded had i not told them exactly what I did. Either way I was just curious if I got murdered on price. I will NEVER be going back to that dealer and surely wont give them a good review if asked.

and yes, it's under warranty for 8 more months.

IMO I don't think you got hammered too badly. In Mod Hell relatively cheap.

FYI the more you mod the worse it gets............

Sure, you screwed up by introducing air into the system, but you didn't take it apart and beat on stuff with a mallet, did you?

if the pipe was not damaged then the hose would not have leaked. I recall seeing the video on installing the JB4. It sits on the passenger side, so I suspect that it was damaged during the install. You could ask to see the pipe to verify, however I have no reason to believe the NSX Tech purposely damaged it or lied about it being damaged. Acura and Honda have always been pretty good about warranty and mods. So I think you are not correct in your assumptions. Had the engine been damaged due to detonation then yes they might not want to repair the engine if they thought it was caused by the JB4 unit.

Bull on on the high price being due to their covering a potential engine failure. The engine cost many many thousands of dollars. The dealership fixed this guy’s car properly and they charged what the parts list for and the labor necessary.

Right, but they would not have even known it was modded had i not told them exactly what I did. Either way I was just curious if I got murdered on price. I will NEVER be going back to that dealer and surely wont give them a good review if asked.

Well do you really think the dealer screwed you? You wanted your car fixed. They spent the time, scheduled you, etcetera. You could have paid for the estimate and then tried to find another dealer who would do it cheaper. I bet none would have given you a cheaper price. Did the dealer mistreat you? Why crap on them when you are the guilty party? Sorry I just think it is unfair to suggest someone running a business necessarily screwed you. You own a super car that is not a VW and should be treated with respect. I have worked on cars for over 50 years and I have thousands of dollars of metric and standard tools. I have made my share of mistakes, so I get it.

Ferrari, Porsche, McLaren, Mercedes, all charge for work done. Glad you got your car back, and only your pocket book hurts

Last edited:
My point was the price also included part of the insurance premium for liability should the motor seize, because he is gonna get sued should that happen.

You screw around with a perfectly good product and most manufactures will void the warranty.

GM is the worst from my experience.

Last edited:
i understand you pay to play but I really think the dealer could have done this job in less than half the labor time and at about half the price of parts. A quick search online revealed I paid hundreds more than I could have bought the parts for. Again, I am happy it's done and fixed and I just wanted to share.

I appreciate everyones input.

I have no idea what you do for a living but I’ll bet that a quick internet search will show that it can be done for far less than you are paid.

tough crowd...lolololololol

Back