• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Corvette roof separation

I heard this was an issue with Corvettes, but I saw it firsthand today! :eek:

Guy was sitting on the side of the road on the phone with his door open as his roof was laying behind the car.

How likely is that to happen if you own one? :confused:

Keep in mind this was recalled.
Correct "WAS". I passed this along to a friend today who's got an 05 C6 and he made some calls and was told it's no longer under recall. He was furious. He claims the pops real loud occasionally. This was the 1st time he's heard about a recall.

How hilarious since I was at a friend's house a few days ago. In the garage sat a new C6 Z06. I asked why there were cob webs in the wheels and he said it wasn't fixed yet. I asked what and he walked over, reached for the roof and off it went, lol. TOO DAMN FUNNY, lol.

Free targa top downgrade anyone??? lol

How hilarious since I was at a friend's house a few days ago. In the garage sat a new C6 Z06. I asked why there were cob webs in the wheels and he said it wasn't fixed yet. I asked what and he walked over, reached for the roof and off it went, lol. TOO DAMN FUNNY, lol.

Z06? I thought the Z06's were all hardtops?

Z06? I thought the Z06's were all hardtops?

From the first link in my post above:

"This bulletin is being revised to include Z06 vehicles. A new procedure and labor time
have been added. Discard all copies of bulletin 05112C, issued June 2006."

I guess when the roof separates and flies off it's no longer a hard top:confused: :tongue:

Oh it definitely was a Z06 :) Just one where the bubble gum failed to hold the roof together lol.

In all seriousness, I think the roofs on corvettes are actually glued on.
I guess just don't drive it fast on a hot day? lol.

What is taking so long to fix it? Why is it still at his house and not at the dealership getting done? :confused:

In all seriousness, I think the roofs on corvettes are actually glued on.
I guess just don't drive it fast on a hot day? lol.

Yep, they're glued on. The only thing holding this one on was the few inches of glue left on the right hand driver side. Maybe they should of stuck with bubble gum, lol.

What is taking so long to fix it? Why is it still at his house and not at the dealership getting done? :confused:

No idea, but he did try. Its just taking GM forever. Atleast a couple months for some reason. Guy is bloody rich and he did buy it brand new from the dealer.

He blew his top when he blew his top.

This is a easy NSX mod for you guys with a targa. Loosen the latches, open the window, drive 80mph ane you have the Corvette mod.

He blew his top when he blew his top.

This is a easy NSX mod for you guys with a targa. Loosen the latches, open the window, drive 80mph ane you have the Corvette mod.

I did this once, but just on one side. When you get to ~70 mph, there's this horrible noise and you figure out that it's time to latch that side too. :)

Forget to latch both sides? I can see the top going bye-bye at about 40 mph.

No idea, but he did try. Its just taking GM forever. Atleast a couple months for some reason. Guy is bloody rich and he did buy it brand new from the dealer.

Rich or not, I would have someones a$$ at the dealership for taking months to fix a brand new $75,000 Corvette that is supposed to be their flagship.

I know with FMC when there are parts that deal with recalls and as such, sometimes they go on back order with the excuse of 'Unanticipated Demand'. Not much consilation for someone who needs their vehicle but I guess the dealer is lucky this person isn't being more difficult.

And that is supposed to make you feel better?:confused: :frown:

It doesn't, but I have the glass top so not a problem for me. At least it is not a snap ring.. :wink:

Although a flying roof is certainly more dangerous to other drivers than your tranny exploding.

GM will be in deep doodoo if one of these roofs fly off and hurt or kill someone in another car and they refused to fix a known problem. I can't believe they aren't fixing them reguardless of who owns them or how old they are. I thought recalls lasted forever?:confused:

Back