• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Coupe Engine Brace Question

In doing the research for my Type-S project I've come across something interesting and I'm hoping someone out there knows the answer.

The Type-S DID NOT come from the factory with the engine chassis brace. In fact it looks like NONE of the coupes from '97 onward did EXCEPT the 02+ NSX-R. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I've looked at several Type-S examples at Yokoo Auto and none of them have had one so I'm pretty confident in my research. From the few pictures I've been able to find of Zanardi edition engine bays I have not been able to find one that has an engine chassis brace either. Which would make sense since the Zanardi is basically the USDM Type-S.
@Arkaid can you confirm/deny if your NA2 Coupe has an engine chassis brace?

Does anybody know why the NA2 Coupes (Type-S, Type-S Zero, Zanardi, JDM Coupes, USDM Coupes '97-01), with the exception of the 02+ NSX-R, did not have engine chassis braces? My assumption is because of the chassis in '97+ becoming more rigid but that's just a guess.

Next question, does anybody know if there would be any negative repercussions to running a '91-'94 without an engine chassis brace? I have the CRF one in now and I love it but the perfectionist in me was thinking of going back to OEM for my build so I was considering the 02+ NSX-R version. But since the Type-S technically didn't have one and if it's safe for the early chassis to not run one I'm thinking I might not as well?

Open to all information/suggestions/bashings/etc. :cool:

Sounds like a [MENTION=25737]Kaz-kzukNA1[/MENTION] question.

My understanding is the 97+ bodies were more rigid and weighed slightly more (due to additional targa-related bracing and the 6-speed), so they were looking to cut weight wherever possible. Thus, the brace was out. Kaz will probably know the real story.

In doing the research for my Type-S project I've come across something interesting and I'm hoping someone out there knows the answer.

The Type-S DID NOT come from the factory with the engine chassis brace. In fact it looks like NONE of the coupes from '97 onward did EXCEPT the 02+ NSX-R. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I've looked at several Type-S examples at Yokoo Auto and none of them have had one so I'm pretty confident in my research. From the few pictures I've been able to find of Zanardi edition engine bays I have not been able to find one that has an engine chassis brace either. Which would make sense since the Zanardi is basically the USDM Type-S.
@Arkaid can you confirm/deny if your NA2 Coupe has an engine chassis brace?

Does anybody know why the NA2 Coupes (Type-S, Type-S Zero, Zanardi, JDM Coupes, USDM Coupes '97-01), with the exception of the 02+ NSX-R, did not have engine chassis braces? My assumption is because of the chassis in '97+ becoming more rigid but that's just a guess.

Next question, does anybody know if there would be any negative repercussions to running a '91-'94 without an engine chassis brace? I have the CRF one in now and I love it but the perfectionist in me was thinking of going back to OEM for my build so I was considering the 02+ NSX-R version. But since the Type-S technically didn't have one and if it's safe for the early chassis to not run one I'm thinking I might not as well?

Open to all information/suggestions/bashings/etc. :cool:

I can tell you but then that would be from my proprietary knowledge base and I'll have to charge you one set of 16/19 MF10 w/ BFGoodrich K02. Or perhaps trade for oem type s. :D

But yeah, you're correct - there was no stock brace on mine, and none of the NA2 coupes came with a brace from the factory (save for the 02+ R of course). From what I know, the frame rails are slightly thicker on all 95+ cars (regardless of targa or not) so I would assume the same that perhaps Honda felt no need for the rear brace. For a 91-94, I would consider just running the 02+ R brace since it's marginally thicker. Certainly couldn't hurt!

Back