• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Coupe vs. Targa

I'm close to ordering a 2001 NSX but have been having trouble deciding whether to order the coupe or targa top. Living in sunny Southern California the targa top will be a lot of fun to have, especially since my '94 was a coupe. But I was concerned with the rigidity of the body when the top is off. Can anyone feel a difference in the stiffness of the chassis with the top off versus it on? And is there a lot of wind buffeting at highway speed with the top off? I like the way my coupe handled and it seems the coupe is two-three tenths of a second quicker than the targas(from what I read in the magazine articles, particularly the Car and Driver article on 0-150-0). I will really appreciate that extra acceleration, especially going up against 996s and C5s. And the coupe's stiffer suspension and chassis will make for a better handling car. Any reponses to this matter will be greatly appreciated.

In my opinion, go Targa. I love my car with the top off. To me, it is very comfortable below 85, you can talk or listen to the radio with no problems. I have found that above 85 with the top off I am thinking about driving, so radio and conversation are non issues. I have been ~130 with the top off and would do it again. I also own a BMW 328i Conv., and the targa off is way better then the top down in the BMW.

I did an autocross with the top off and did not have an issue with how rigid the chassis was. I dont have any experience with the coupe, so I cant share both perspectives.

In my opinion, the performance differences are outweighed by the joy of top off.

Originally posted by CChung:
Living in sunny Southern California the targa top will be a lot of fun to have

That's one of the reasons I had to have the Targa...soakin' up the rays can make even stop-and-go traffic a joy.

And is there a lot of wind buffeting at highway speed with the top off?

The few times I drove over 120 (all times with the top off), the only way I knew I was going fast was by how loud the wind had gotten. The wind in no way made the car feel any less stable. Amazing.

At normal highway speeds, you can still listen to music on the stock CD system and carry a conversation with the top off. Just don't try to do so when a 360 Modena drives by. I speak from experience....I could still hear the Ferarri when it was three car lengths behind me
wink.gif

A friend who owns a '94 coupe said that he noticed my Targa rolled more than his coupe during sharp turns. That said, a friend who owns a Porsche 944 found my car to ride very firm in the corners. I don't notice one way or the other...I personally have no complaints. You'll have to take one for a drive to see how much different it is than your '94 coupe before you can really know whether to stick with the Targa or go with the coupe.

------------------
--akira3D ('00 NSX-T red/black #113)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 17 November 2000).]

Get the coupe if you want to do alot of road course or you don't like the wind. Personally I hate wind blowing in my face and the my NSX is for road course usage not to show off. So I want a coupe for sure.

Originally posted by CChung:
I'm close to ordering a 2001 NSX but have been having trouble deciding whether to order the coupe or targa top. Living in sunny Southern California the targa top will be a lot of fun to have, especially since my '94 was a coupe. But I was concerned with the rigidity of the body when the top is off.

No contest! Get the targa!
smile.gif
I live in SoCal. I have *never* had an interest in convertibles or "open cars". Now that I have an NSX-T, I live to drive my NSX with the top off. I specifically look forward to going to lunch to places that are at least 10 minutes away so I can take the top off & enjoy the ride there & back. The difference is "night and day".

If you didn't live in sunny SoCal, it could be a different story, but as you know we get great weather almost year round, and the joy of driving with that feeling of openness is fantastic.

As for performance.. If you notice the suspension seems softer than you want, you can dial some of the sway out with a swaybar upgrade from Dali or elsewhere. Or upgrade the shocks or springs.. Or..

There are several 97+ NSX-T'ers in SoCal, so I'm sure you could hitch a ride in one to check it out before you make the choice on which to order..

Marc

I am 5'11'' tall and there is no wind buffeting with the T-top off and the windows up. In fact, it feels wonderful, and I never drive with the top on. I even put the car to bed with a car cover and top off. The top goes on when I wash it, and that's all. The heater is excllent for our S. Cal winters, so you can drive with the top off even in winter here. Now the coupe makes me feel very clostrophic, and even though the coupe is marginally better in performance than the T-top, I wouldn't own a coupe, unless it was my second car. Best luck......

Best wishes

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Stock, except Dunlaptya SP9000s

This is very subjective question. I also have a Targa which is very nice. Actually, I think I have driven a total of 2 miles without the roof in place. Having previously owned a coupe, I can tell you it is a much stiffer/solid feel the coupe.) I wish we could somehow have the best of both worlds.

Depending on your planned modifications, I would not purchase the Targa if you plan to lower the car. In my opion, with the Targa lowered, every little bump would shake the car right through the steering wheel. Then again, the open feel of the Targa is wondefull.

My 2 cents. Good luck in your decision.

97 Red/Blk

[This message has been edited by NSX4U2 (edited 20 November 2000).]

Cchung,
Decisions, decisions.
Ask yourself these questions.

Do you want to be 2-3 tenths of a second quicker in life in your Coupe? or

Do you want to enjoy the California sunshine on your forehead in the Targa while you are cruising the Pacific Coast Highway?

For me the best part of living in Arizona is the 'Fun in the Sun' we enjoy, pretty much, 365 days a year. I regret not having bought a Targa over the Coupe for this reason but I look at this as a learning experience in life. I would much rather prefer to have the wind whipping around inside the car at higher speeds in a Targa than having the wind SHAVE MY LEFT EAR OFF on the driver's side.

It all depends on what you want to get out of life owning an NSX. Personally, I get more pleasure just being outdoors enjoying the day driving my NSX than trying to save 2-3 tenths of a second off my life.

Besides, you can't lose with whatever decision you make. You're already a WINNER in my book!

Do what I am doing, get the Targa and then add the Comptech Supercharger. You then truly have the best of both worlds. You will have the open air and be faster than a stock coupe. I live in Michigan and the weather here only allows the top off about 6 months out of the year, if I lived in a climate like yours I wouldn't even think twice about which car to buy.

Back