• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Custom Machined Bilsteins?

I am having Bilsteins installed, and have read that they lower the car 7/8 inch when the lower spring perch is used. I want to use my stock springs, but would also like to get lower than 7/8. Does anyone know if it would be possible to custom machine a groove into the shock so that I could get a more agressive drop, say 1.25 inch? I've never seen the shock in person, so I'm not sure whether this would be possible.

[This message has been edited by DeHaldaswerth (edited 25 July 2001).]

I'd suggest contacting Bilstein about whether it will adversely affect anything else. Here is a close-up of the two grooves. You can see the un-used one on the right is very shallow (the scale is in mm).

I have a busted Bilstein you can experiment with for the cost of shipping (probably about $8-$10). I also have a brand-new-in-the-box front NSX Bilstein I'll make you a deal on...

bilsteinadjustable.jpg

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 25 July 2001).]

Thanks, Lud. If you don't mind, maybe I can have you ship the busted shock to me. Private me with your address and I will send you the $$ for shipping.

I would be concerned about bottoming the shock. By lowering the bottom perch you start with the shock further compressed, and stock springs will compress more than sorter stiffer springs. You might be able to do some measurements and calculations with the busted one to see if there is any risk.

By the way, keep in mind that anything more than 7/8 may force you to run more negative camber than you want.

Contact Phil Mirenda at CGI Motorsports re: custom machining new grooves, 708-301-9595. Please let us know what you decide.

Back